Author Topic: 2005 Cantina Wave  (Read 29081 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 Cantina Wave
« Reply #90 on: December 11, 2004, 06:45 PM »
Saw this wave at Toys R Us today so they out at retail now too!  Which means we might see the Preview Wave fairly soon...which then means there will be a good three month lull in figures ::)

Actually, the Preview wave showing before Christmas is kind of unlikely.  I think the last SW to ship is going to be this Cantina wave.  I can't see them sneaking two waves of figures in before Christmas as we're only 2 weeks away.  Besides, there's probably a rough street date on the preview wave.  I wouldn't expect to see them before February.

Traditionally, the lull at toy stores occurrs immediately after Christmas.  There will be a number of year-end sales.  Then, the toy chains go into inventory mode for a week or two.  Then orders go our and things start to trickle in towards the end of January/early February.  I've seen it too many times to not to know what to expect.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2004, 06:48 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #91 on: December 11, 2004, 09:38 PM »
Carded samples were shown a few weeks ago though weren't they?  I still think there's a chance it could happen.  January is probably more likely...I think they are supposed to be due in February if I remember right

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: December 12, 2004, 06:25 PM »
I know where those first carded samples on eBay came from.  It wasn't a way you would typically see things make their way out to retail.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #93 on: December 15, 2004, 02:37 AM »
I wrangled a set of these tonight...

Seems to me the $6.99 butt reeming, err, I mean the $6.99 price hike is hurting these new figures because these were put out Monday and there were two full sets of them this evening still at the same store (know a guy who works at the store).

I think they're not as good an Ebay investment now perhaps.

Well, Scott's already got them so I'm not breaking new ground for him... 

On Dannik Jerriko, the gaping holes in his face, to me, don't look as bad in person, but they're still unsightly, unnecessary, and I'd say they're generally unwanted.  Not cool..

That said, Dannik's bong holster rocks, and his bong itself is incredibly cool.  His holster holds his blaster snugly I feel (I've heard some complaints the holsters don't hold them, but to me I think the holster's just a tighter fit...  If you push the blaster fits in though).  I love the detail...  Lots of good paint applications here.  The figure could've stood either ball/socket shoulders, or ball/socket elbows...  Ankles wouldn't have hurt either, especially for the $7 hike.  Still he's cool.

Myo's pretty neat and has the best "drinking" pose.  :)  I love that.  His mug looks like his drink has a nice head of foam on it too.  I dig his colors of his space suit...  They included some neat poutch sculpts on his outfit too.  His holster also snuggly holds his blaster, however his hand isn't sculpted so the trigger finger fits his blaster.  That sucks.  Again I think ball/socket shoulders woulda done this figure a lot of positive bonus.

Feltripern (whatever) is neat too.  really nice and coloful, and probably the best headsculpt of the 3.  That's no small feat given that all 3 are nice.  The Gotal's not got a holster though, could use the same articulation the other two could, and his blaster's pretty warped (Run your hot water in the bathroom sink a while, then fill a dixie cup some and drop it in...  It should take its natural shape back...  Word to the wise guys!).  Gotal has a neat drinking pose too, but he can't hold his gun right...  Almost holds it drunk.

Anyway, a mini overview from me...  I'm havin' fun just playign with these right now...  Or, uhm, I mean I'm "posing" them for accurate recreations of Star Wars adventures...  And giggling while I do so.

The figure's neatness makes the $7 reeming less painful...  Some complimentary lube on the shelf might've helped though. 

I think had this been the OTHER POTC figures, that I would've only gotten Yarna and Pablo while leaving the rest.  :(  $7's pushing the envelope of what I can justify.  I mean, $23 about, for 3 figures.  Sheesh.   >:(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: December 15, 2004, 11:01 PM »
Well, maybe that price will keep them hanging aorund when they finally show up here. Can't wait to find these guys!

Online Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #95 on: December 20, 2004, 10:08 AM »
Got my 2005 Cantina wave back on the 10th of Dec, but only got around to opening them last night thanks to a busy week last week.

I really like the way this wave was done.  I agree with Jesse in that better elbows/shoulders and these guys would be perfect.  The only real gripe I have is the EU nose bugger debate, which has been well-hashed already.  For now, I've take off the Nose-buggers and have Dannik posed in my cantina with his face turned profile so that the holes are a bit trickier to see what with him not being face-out.

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: December 27, 2004, 03:55 PM »
I did end up getting Dannik yesterday.  To be honest the holes in the face are not that bad.  Well, they are I guess, but for a background character that I really thought would never ever get made it's ok.  Especially when you put the pipe in his mouth.  Hard to notice unless you stare at Dannik's face.  Who wants to do that? He's one ugly mo-fo.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #97 on: December 27, 2004, 09:08 PM »
I felt similar to you Broem, but I will say the gaping holes in the face are THE worst aspect to all 3 figures in that wave.  Though Fetripern (sp?) not having a holster for his gun kinda blew too.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #98 on: December 27, 2004, 10:28 PM »
As I've said a couple of times.  It was totally unnecessary and wasted tooling money that could have been used to make a holster for Feltipern

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #99 on: December 28, 2004, 02:02 AM »
Just got these goofballs from BBTS today. I haven't yet opened them, but they look pretty good.

I'm getting the feeling Dannik is going to be a pegwarmer.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #100 on: December 28, 2004, 02:25 AM »
I think all 3 will be if released in good #'s.  In the end, Cantina aliens never do "well" at retail when they hit the shelves in droves...  They don't have much going for them other than every collector wants one (not two or three generally).

I still agree Scott, that the Probisces (whatever) suck...  I just am indifferent to them because I like every other aspect about the figure a whole bunch...  To me a holster on Feltripern (sp?) would've been no additional cost, so that was just excuseless.

On one figure it's simply a matter of something the figure SHOULD have had that just didn't get and on the other figure it's a bad, bad, decision to include something it didn't need...  And then subsequently ruined an otherwise great likeness in sculpt.  That sucks and makes Dannik the worse of the 3. 

Feltripern's slowly overtaking Myo in my favorites department, but the holster's excuseless, plain and simple.  Sucks double that he's the figure who has the toughest time holding his gun.  Bleh.

I still like Dannik, but he's #3 on the list...  Love the bong though.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #101 on: December 28, 2004, 09:48 AM »
The Bong and the Bong Holder are great :)  And I don't hate Dannik at all, I love all three of these figures, really :)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: December 28, 2004, 10:56 AM »
Yep, I have these figures now too and love this wave.  They are so freaking articulated and well sculpted that I don't feel bad for paying $10 each for them.

Myo - A+
Gotal - A+
Dannik - B+

I hope I can get a few more for some customs.   :)

:P

Offline Jedirhino

• Jedi Initiate
  • The party's over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: December 29, 2004, 08:30 AM »
Even though I do not have the figures I agree with the Dennik being a B+ simply because of the Probiscus sticking out from his face...if you want him to be in the cantina without them (like the movie) then he has 2 crater dimples on the sides of his face!!!

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: December 29, 2004, 10:34 AM »
Yeah Jedirhino, everything else about the figure seems perfect.  But when you take the tentacle things out of this face, it looks pretty bad.  Hopefully I can find another and customize it a bit.

:P