Author Topic: Hey gang...  (Read 1484 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Hey gang...
« on: October 20, 2004, 06:31 PM »
Since most of you have been around longer than me my friend, and have a more vast knowledge of relationships, and are relativley smarter than me my friend, I needmy friend needs some help.

How can you tell if some one is over their past relationship, or are just looking for a rebound relationship?

Thanks for helping me my friend!

Kevin Not Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Hey gang...
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 06:42 PM »
Kevin Kevin's friend:

Put a few drinks in her (and yourself), and then try to hook up, and then you'll know pretty quick if she's on the rebound or not!   :P

Seriously though, I'd look at how long it's been since they broke up, what the circumstances of the break up were (who broke up with who), how she's been acting or what signals she may be giving, etc...

It can be kinda tricky, I suppose.  Just don't rush things if it's a fairly recent breakup.  You could try actually talking to her openly and honestly about it too, but if you do that you may risk getting pigeon-holed into the "friend" category, which can be hard/risky to get back out of.

So, you got more details for us to go on Kev?  Anything she's doing that might be indicating she's not over the other dude?  Did he break up with her, or vice versa...?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 06:44 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 06:50 PM »
If you have to ask, she probably isn't.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 07:19 PM »
Just certain exchanges of conversation. I'm nto sure who broke up with who, but she tends to get upset when speaking of past relationships and such.

I dunno, maybe I'm delusional.

Kevin

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 10:29 PM »
If you're seriously interested in her.....you might not want to be her rebound guy right off the bat. Those don't usually last too long.

If you're just looking for something casual, then it's probably just fine to be the rebound, right?
Got Clones?

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 11:52 PM »
Just certain exchanges of conversation. I'm nto sure who broke up with who, but she tends to get upset when speaking of past relationships and such.

I dunno, maybe I'm delusional.

Kevin
If she still gets upset than she hasn't moved on and it'll only be a rebound.
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2004, 01:17 AM »
Man, I hate this hearing this.  Let me help you with my own personal perspective based, unfortunately, on past experience.

My ex was w/ her ex for 7 years, on and off, and then was w/ me for a year.  When we started dating, he was brought up frequently.  There was no surprise considering how long it lasted.  He left to Western Michigan on a football scholarship and she declined his sexual invitation before he left because of me, and mind you we'd only been dating a month.  That to me was a huge sign, but in the long run, their relationship was always there.  It's not that he was brought up every single second, but it was just like a dark cloud in a way.  I finally told her after being together for a few months that I didn't want to hear about him or their relationship anymore.  And honestly, it stopped there.  But in the long run, one reason she said she broke up w/ me was because she went from 7 years w/ him into a year w/ me and felt like we were going to get married and she was never going to have that time for herself. 

Now after airing all that, my advice to you is to take it REALLY slow.  Don't get attached in any way, shape or form.  You've got to let her make all the moves.  Seriously.  If she acts like you guys are just cool and just wants to hang out, then you'll know that you're a rebound.  If she starts talking serious or just starts to show the typical signs that she wants to be with you, then that may be an indication that she's ready to move on.  Remember that communication is the key.  You've got to get inside her head.  This is such a hard thing to give advice about because everyone is different and obviously each relationship is different.  Bottom line is just be careful. 
« Last Edit: October 21, 2004, 01:19 AM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2004, 02:36 PM »
Thanks for the help gang.

Meditate on this, I will.

Kevin

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2004, 04:12 PM »
Always in motion, is the future.  Difficult to see, it is...

Jason's got some good advice there.  If you really dig her, and are looking to be more than a rebound, then just take it slow and let her call the shots.

Of course, if she's totally smokin' hot, and you just wanna get some play off her, then dive on in there!  :D

Good luck, either way.

- M