Author Topic: Vintage Original Trilogy Collection: Overall Impressions?  (Read 15595 times)

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Vintage Original Trilogy Collection: Overall Impressions?
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2004, 02:43 PM »
Im with Morgbug.  They shouldve stuck with the original 12.  Throwing in the Lando and Yoda were pointless.  Better versions exist.  I'm still undecided about the Fett. 

Seeing 4 figs done for each line (SW, ESB and ROTJ) left me disappointed with no POTF figs.  Revisiting the line felt empty without them.  Luke Storm, Anakin, Han Carb and Lando General seemed like perfect fits ???  A good mix of core characters. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2004, 03:08 PM »
The omission of the Emperor is the only glaring one IMO, Lando would be the only one to go and that's debateable

I think a SA Soft Good Emperor would kick ass so I would hope to see this line continue (perhaps as exclusives?) somewhere down the line

Getting VOTC Tusken, Jawa and DST would be good too, but the fact that they aren't all on SW cards makes it an effort sort of pointless, especially if we would only get 3-4 a year.  If for some chance they decided to...I'd much rather see a full Wave 2 set of 12:

Grand Moff Tarkin
Uncle Owen
R5-D4
Tusken

Luke Bespin
Leia Hoth
Admiral Piett
Death Star Trooper

Han Endor
Scout Trooper
Emperor
Emperor Royal Guard

Or some sort of Jazz

If its just 3-4 then:

Emperor
Luke Bespin
Han Endor
Grand Moff Tarkin as an apology for not doing it the first time

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2004, 03:44 PM »
I could see (and support) them making another wave of these for each film maybe in about 2 years or so.  I'd like to see the following:

ANH

- Tarkin
- X-Wing Luke
- Sandtrooper
- Tusken Raider

ESB

- Hoth Rebel
- Snowtrooper
- Bespin Guard
- C3PO (redone and w/ removable limbs/cargo net)

ROTJ

- Emperor
- Endor Rebel
- Royal Guard
- Scout Trooper

:P

« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 03:45 PM by CHEWIE »

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2004, 03:56 PM »
I like the idea of the "missing figs" like Tarkin, Han Storm, Luke Ceremonial.  That would of been decent.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2004, 04:16 PM »
See?  Here we go already.  Resculpts of characters we already have.  I'm not at all opposed to more VOTC, but X-wing Luke?  Is that with or without buckteeth???  I think we're setting ourselves up here to start paying $10 US per figure.  Hasbro's already shown they'll happily bend us over to give it to us: R2/3PO and marginal Ben and Luke.  Do we want to encourage that?   :-\  The entirely new characters are fine, IMO, but I really have no need to trash even more of my basic POTF2/Saga/etc figures only to pay even more. 

This line needs to be well done, very well done, figures that kick ass of everything else already out there. 

And I maintain the cardbacks are critical.  I guess I could handle them redoing the entire vintage line in this fashion, but ouch!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2004, 04:17 PM by Morgbug »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2004, 04:51 PM »
I'd pay $10 a pop for resculpts as long as they are superior to the POTF2 and Saga counterparts.  Which is the majority of my list.   I'm probably in the minority there though.  Hell I paid well over $400 for VOTC figures and I'm not sad I did in any way shape or form

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 8, 2005, 10:51 AM »
While re-arranging things the past couple of weeks to make room for the ROTS stuff that was coming home, I got to look at a number of my figures up close again.  I was curious, for those of you who collected the VOTC line loose, do you display them with the rest of your figures...or do they have their own seperate little space or "highlighted" area?  Right now, I have them displayed seperately on a small shelf within our desk that is just big enough to have the 12 of them stand side by side.  I've thought about integrating them in with the rest of my figures, but I do kind of like having them seperate.  I suppose if you have a carded set that you could display them seperately that way, but I was only able to afford to buy doubles of Han, Chewie, and a Stormtrooper (I plan to open the stormie eventually though).  Anyways, just curious if you display them seperate or all together?

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 8, 2005, 11:40 AM »
I loved this line, and despite the higher pricepoint wish that they would continue the line and just do each and every one of the figures released from 1977 to 1983.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 8, 2005, 02:51 PM »
I loved this line, and despite the higher pricepoint wish that they would continue the line and just do each and every one of the figures released from 1977 to 1983.

My Heart says yes, my wallet says no. :P

Overall, I loved this line. It's amazing that we more or less got what were were asking for with articulation, but must of the figures could still be improved. But if they never made another version of ANH Han again, I wouldn't complain a bit.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2008, 03:05 PM »
I've been going through my figures/displays lately, and have been taking a closer look (again) at the VOTC figures.   I was curious to see some of your opinions now of this lineup.  I'll always remember the excitement here on the forums when we first got the announcements and pics of these waves.  This line, despite a few less than spectacular figures, is really one of my favorite things in my entire collection.  Sure, we get this quality in the basic figure line more often now, but the combo of the classic characters, vintage cardbacks, and (at the time) a step up in sculpt, articulation, etc. just made this a great lineup.

Looking at the lineup now, have any of them improved in your eyes?  Do you like some of them less?  How many of this initial lineup of 12 do you consider "definitive" versions of the characters?

Personally, the following figures have always been pretty close to perfect to me - and are still some of my favorites:

Han Solo (probably my all-time favorite figure)
Chewbacca (ditto, a close second)
Boba Fett (glad to see this re-released now)
Stormtrooper (same here, and other recent versions have been nice too)
Princess Leia (maybe ball jointed elbows would improve it a bit, but not a bad figure - wouldn't mind seeing it re-released)

Some of the other figures are still great, but maybe a quirk or two away from "definitive".  Yoda fits in this category, as well as R2-D2 (although a repaint of R4-G9 would probably be even better).  Lando also fits in here.  He doesn't seem to be a real popular figure overall with collectors necessarily, but aside from some ball joint elbows (or maybe a removable cape), I'm pretty happy with him.  I've also warmed a bit on the Tatooine Luke figure.  I'm still not sure if I like the soft goods on it, but it isn't a bad figure overall.  Still not the "end all, be all" Tatooine Luke in my eyes, but I do like it more than I initially did.  The Vader is a nice figure as well, but has since been improved upon (Evolutions, TAC) to the point where its pretty much perfect now.  Obi-Wan isn't a horrible figure to me, but could really be improved on (ball joints, cloak).  C-3PO is last place in the bunch, but we've gotten better ones since then so I can appreciate the deco a little more.  I more consider the Endor throne version the "definitive" 3PO for me.  Anyways, that got a little wordier than I intended, but how do you feel about the VOTC at this point?

Offline EpicGon

• Jedi Padawan
  • The life so short, the craft so large to learn.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 13, 2008, 12:42 PM »
The first vintage style wave set especific improvements for many characters like Chewbacca, because his sculpt is taller than ever, for the stormie, now passed into many variations, but I think in sometime, they will update this into a high detailed armor and suit sculpt, the part of the suit needs to be completed in black in the hip section.

The boba fett and luke were shorter than expected but nice.

The vintage style vader was repacked several times, now its time to update this toy with a sebastian shaw head and removable helmet.

Obi wan was great, probably legacy for 2009 will have bendable knees.

They could make a new votc Yoda with complete pants, based on vintage Yoda.

« Last Edit: December 14, 2008, 01:34 AM by EpicGon »