Author Topic: VOTC/OTC Purchases  (Read 97102 times)

Offline habs98

• Jedi Initiate
  • Think before you speak to me!!!!!!
    • View Profile
Re: VOTC/OTC Purchases
« Reply #45 on: August 6, 2004, 09:32 PM »
Grabbed a 12" VOTC Stormy today at Target.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #46 on: August 6, 2004, 09:35 PM »
As I've said in a few places now but not sure if the Iowegians read all of the threads I post in, I was hust in Des Moines...saw tons of the Greedo OTC case everywhere.  Plenty of Han, Leia and Ben VOTC too, once I hit MN (Albert Lea) there was jack squat for OTC at all of the Target and WalMarts on the way home

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #47 on: August 6, 2004, 11:55 PM »
Iowegians?

Such harshness. >:(
Yeah, that Greedo case hit here in W'loo and CF today. It was damn beautiful seeing all these OTC cards in one place this morning.

Target, however, still has yet to get any basic OTC figures. Same with TRU. The only place that's been getting them with alarming regularity is Wal-Mart.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #48 on: August 7, 2004, 12:00 AM »
Arkeny???  Right North of Des Moines had the Bespin Wave of OTC and so did the Target at the Mall on the South East side of Des Moines

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #49 on: August 7, 2004, 12:03 AM »
Do you guys prefer Iowieners??? :-*

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #50 on: August 7, 2004, 12:30 PM »
Damn dude, I thought the Iowegians/wieners thing was exclusive to Missouri. ;)

And it's Ankeny. ;D
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 7, 2004, 07:05 PM »
I bought an OTC Bespin Luke yesterday at Wal-Mart.  Finally!  That rounds off my OTC collection.  Well, to my liking, anyway.  This morning, I picked up a VOTC Vader at TRU.  I also spotted VOTC Vader and VOTC Yoda at Target.  Target also stocked 12" VOTC figs.
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 7, 2004, 07:08 PM »
I can't believe I actually found some OTC figures I WANTED.  Scored these today:

VOTC Luke
OTC Luke X-Wing Pilot
OTC Luke Jedi
OTC Bossk
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 8, 2004, 02:53 PM »
I nabbed an OTC Greedo...  I have to say, he's really nice.

I second JJ's sentiments. I saw an OTC Greedo today and WOW[/b] what a nice paint job. I didn't pick him up though--I already had a VOTC Vader and Luke in the bag and I just couldn't justify an extra of a figure I already have a few of.

That VOTC Luke really took by surprise. I had no desire or intent to ever pick him up, but when I saw him in real life he looked like really an amazing figure--the soft goods did not come out nearly as wonky as the pics seemed to convey. I bought him and popped him open and I have to say it really is a nice figure.

Vader is up there too. His chain is a little distracting, but if you tilt his head down in a "menacing" pose it lays nice, and even turns with his head. More glittery than I'd expected, I might have to take a Sharpie to it. And my god, that cape--it's enormous and billowing but light and hangs great. Just a great Vader, almost really worth the 10 bucks in and of himself.

So, so far I've only passed up Ben and Yoda VOTCs. The Jedi can't get no love from me.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #54 on: August 8, 2004, 03:51 PM »
My good friend Bob (Bobafett14) nabbed me a VOTC Luke, so to that end I'm set!  Very cool.  Now onto VOTC ESB figures.

No 3po, no Lando...  Weird distribution methods Hasbro seem to be using with the VOTC.   :-\

As to Greedo, I was actually going to skip him because I felt this was one of the "rip-off" repaints.  A figure who just saw a pretty good repaint not long ago and all.

The thing is though, and this is what prompted me to bite on this, is that the Rodians in ANH are practically army builders.  There's at least 4 with Jabba when he confronts Han at the Falcon in the SE, and they closely resemble the first CT Greedo.  I figure Wal-Mart Cantina Greedo makes just some nice diversity in the "gang of goons" Jabba would have.  

So to that end, to me, those figures (And even POTF2) make ok army builders, to an extent.

And now OTC Greedo's happily taking a seat in the Cantina with Cantina Han...  And all is right with the world.

Anything I can use to justify the purchase of, essentially, the same figure fr a 3rd time. :)

It'll get me through the Gamorrean, Tusken, and Jawas too, as well as TIE Pilots and CT STormies I perhaps run into.  

The OTC Strmie really looks crisp.  Quite nice itself.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 12, 2004, 09:57 AM »
Nothing much new around here, although the local Wal-Mart is doing their toy aisle reset, and got another batch of the OTC in.  It is nice to see the expanded presence of Star Wars in the aisles again, and that spiffy black and silver packaging.  I did pick up another Dagobah Luke and Yoda (I had the handstand Luke, and decided to keep it carded, looked kind of neat I thought).  They also had Greedo, Stormtrooper, Han Solo, C-3PO, and the Throne Room Vader if I recall correctly.  I was awfully tempted to pick up the Greedo, Stormtrooper and 3PO, even though I already have them.  Even though it is just packaging, it sure makes it awfully tempting to pick up some of those repacks.

They also had 2 each of the 12" Luke and Stormtrooper.  The overall appearance of these (with the vinty packaging) made it tempting, but I don't really collect 12", and couldn't justify dropping $30 on them.  They also had a couple Unleashed Hoth Lukes, and 2 VOTC figures (Han and Leia) for $9.83.  Nothing new at Target or TRU though unfortunately (bring on some more VOTC!).  Oh, and lots of lightsabers everywhere we went ;)

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: August 13, 2004, 09:38 AM »
I stopped bothering with retail here in Australia
These shops do nothing here to help collectors during non movie periods and then when some stock comes in they think i'm gonna give em my hard earned cash?
Hell No
Got an online retailer that sells cheaper than retail, gets exclusives in has free shipping on orders over $80 and gets me my stuff fast
This arrived for me today
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #57 on: August 13, 2004, 11:25 AM »
Nice...  You've got more than me now Hemish!

Sounds like a good e-tailer you found there too.

Offline Hemish

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Blah
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 13, 2004, 08:30 PM »
Yep
Got the other 10 OTC on it's way as well should have it from them on Monday or Tuesday
Casefresh.com is the company and as fas as stuff goes in Australia they really can't be beaten on the stock they carry.
Added to the fact their service is exceptional i have no reason to go anywhere else to get my starwars fix.
The problem with America is stupidity I'm not saying there should be a capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself

Offline austinPOTF

• Youngling
    • View Profile
    • Drive Fast, Walk Slow
« Reply #59 on: August 15, 2004, 10:12 PM »
Well, it's been over a month now since I scored all 20 of the first OTC at once. I've been able to grab the New Hope VOTC wave as well as a VOTC Yoda at retail in that time, but haven't seen a damn thing as far as the OTC goes.

I bit the bullet and ordered the OTC Wave 11 case and VOTC Wave 3 case from EE so all I really need to find at retail is OTC #s 21,22,26,27,28 and VOTC C-3PO. I gotta admit, I'm getting kinda worried about finding those OTC figs on the shelves around here.