Author Topic: Conan to Replace Leno in 2009!!!! (UPDATE: Leno to Replace Conan in 2010!!!!)  (Read 31857 times)

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
Re: Conan to Replace Leno in 2009!!!!
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2010, 12:41 AM »
I'm watching Conan's monologue now.  Since they tape it at noon on the west coast there's nothing about it in there.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
LOL @ the updated thread title.  Timely and hilarious.  Seriously--whoever that was, nice work.

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
LOL @ the updated thread title.  Timely and hilarious.  Seriously--whoever that was, nice work.

That was Rob...the guy is a genius

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
That was Rob...the guy is a genius

Some would say that calling him a "genius" for what he did might be overstating it a bit, but not me.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
No, no...he has a touch of comedic genius.  I mean, to come up with that thread edit, all by himself.  That's gold, Jerry!

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
I'm not sure that I necessarily agree with the Bania comparison, Scott.  After all, Bania was a bit of a hack and Rob's title edit was way funnier than anything Bania ever did. 

It was gold, though, Jerry. 

Gold.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
One thing I think we can both agree on, though, is that the way he edited that title was just about perfect.  Some people probably would have just erased the old title, replaced it altogether with the new, updated title, and called it a day, but not Rob.  He knew that having both phrases in the title was the key to making the whole thing work.  He just has this knack for knowing what sounds good and what doesn't, I guess.  You guys are lucky to have him on board.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 09:25 PM by Matt »

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Right, you being an English Genius should recognize Rob's comic gifts

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
That I do, my friend.  That I do.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
I'm having a hard time following along, but I definitely agree with whoever is arguing that I'm a genius.

One thing I think we can both agree on, though, is that the way he edited that title was just about perfect.  Some people probably would have just erased the old title, replaced it altogether with the new, updated title, and called it a day, but not Rob.  He knew that having both phrases in the title was the key to making the whole thing work.  He just has this knack for knowing what sounds good and what doesn't, I guess.  You guys are lucky to have him on board.

Oh yeah, that would have been pretty lame.  Not my style at all.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2010, 11:33 PM by Rob »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Transcript: Conan O'Brien's January 19 monologue

Below is a transcript of "The Tonight Show" opening monologue from January 19th:

Hi, I’m Conan O’Brien, and I’m just three days away from the biggest drinking binge in history.

Yesterday there were rallies for me in cities across the country, including Chicago. You can tell things are bad when even Cubs fans feel sorry for you.

It’s been a busy day for me today. I spent the afternoon at Universal Studios’ amusement park, enjoying their brand-new ride, the “Tunnel of Litigation.”

Some papers are reporting that I’m legally prohibited from saying anything bad about NBC. For example – I am NOT allowed to say things like: “NBC is headed downhill faster than a fat guy chasing a runaway cheese-wheel.”

Some papers are reporting that I’m legally prohibited from saying anything bad about NBC. But nobody said anything about speaking in Spanish. “NBC esta manejado por hijos de cabras imbeciles que comen dinero y evacuan problemas.” (NBC is run by brainless sons of goats who eat money and crap trouble.”)

Some other stories in the press are saying that in the future I may not be able to retain what is known as my show’s “intellectual property.” Isn’t it great to live in a country where a cigar-smoking dog puppet and a bear that masturbates are considered “intellectual property?"

I have to say, all of our problems with NBC really did sneak up on us quite suddenly. But I should have seen this coming. During the few months we’ve been doing this show, there were definitely things that should have tipped me off. I’ll give you an example, check this out. (cut to: applause sign) There’s our applause sign…(applause sign blinks) but look at the sign below it…(camera pans up to reveal sign that reads, “humor him for 7 months”)

Of course, there are other entertainment stories in the news. Some people who have gone to see “Avatar” say it’s caused them to have headaches, dizziness, nausea and blurry eyesight. Meanwhile James Cameron says it’s caused him to have a billion dollars.

Interesting local story. A new $65 tour called the “LA Gang Tour” is being offered in Los Angeles that takes tourists through L.A.’s most dangerous neighborhoods. The gang tour is also known by its other name, “A cab ride from the airport.”

Earlier this week, the founder of Taco Bell passed away at the age of 86. His tombstone will read: “Father. Husband. Inventor of Diarrhea.”

I’ve been thinking a lot about what I’m going to do with all my new free time. Here are my plans so far for next week. Check it out:

-Introduce myself to my children.

-Connect all my freckles with a Sharpie.

-Play Beatles Rock Band until I reach “Level Yoko.”

-Make a cameo appearance on “Gossip Girl” as Blaine Wilcox, a mysterious albino playboy.

-Legally change my name to “No-Show Jones.”

-Finally make good on my plan to backpack through India with "The Situation."

-Return La Bamba to the kindly old carpenter who made him.

-Have my “TONIGHT SHOW FOREVER” tattoo changed to “OH, SHOW OVER?”

-Make a big move to Fox. Megan Fox.

;D

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
Did letterman originate the top ten list at NBC? I wonder how he got to keep that.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Yes, he did start doing top ten lists on his NBC show, but I believe they argued that "top ten lists" were generic enough that he sort of sidestepped NBC legal with a simple name change.  The "Top Ten List" became the "Late Show Top Ten" or something like that.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender