Collectibles > Original Trilogy Collection

Vintage Original Trilogy Collection: Overall Impressions?

<< < (2/6) > >>

Force Guy:
For me, VOTC was about having ultra-articulated, definitive versions of our favorite main characters.  And at 100% markup in price, should you expect anything less?  For me, only 50% of Hasbro's VOTC lineup met that criteria.  Here's the beef I had with some of the VOTC figures:

Luke - Terrible likeness, mostly because of the head sculpt.  He certainly wasn't modeled after Mark Hamill.  And why is he so short?  The articulation is definitely a plus, but the piss-poor likeness is hard to overlook.

Leia - The likeness is a bit off.  She looks more like Mary Ann from Gilligan's Island than Carrie Fisher.  I'm also not a big fan of quasi-soft goods figures where half of the figure is plastic and the other half is cloth.

Ben - Would've been nice if he came with a fitted Jedi robe instead of a tent.  It's a shame....without his robe on, his arms look awkward and skinny. 

Yoda - He'd look a lot better if his soft goods robe fit better and if he was the right color.

*C-3PO - Biggest blunder of the VOTC line.  Okay, so he doesn't come with loads of articulation.  Fine.  But why does he look so funky?  The likeness is HORRIBLE.   

R2-D2 - Looks more like a slightly glorified POTF2 version of R2 with the shiny dome.  No thanks.  And the wires on his feet look more like sausage links.

On the flipside, I think Hasbro pretty much mastered the versions they made of Han, Chewie, Vader, Fett, Stormtrooper, and Lando.     

DSJ™:
I only have 5 thus far, Luke, Leia, Ben, Han, & Yoda. I'm like Scott, I'll wait till I have them. 

Mister Skeezler:

--- Quote from: Force Guy on October  1, 2004, 02:03 AM ---*C-3PO - Biggest blunder of the VOTC line.  Okay, so he doesn't come with loads of articulation.  Fine.  But why does he look so funky?  The likeness is HORRIBLE.
--- End quote ---

Seriously! I was trying to like this figure before I realized that I shouldn't have to try to like a figure that I paid $10 for.

Deanpaul:
Overall, I'm really happy with all of these figures.

The only real disappointment for me so far is Leia not coming with her Tantive gun, and Lando as well. Both have Stormtrooper blasters, not what I expect for "nostalgia" or 10 bucks.

R2's accessories are a little bit of a let down as well. Nice concept, not all that well executed. The sensorscope is alright, but the arms are a poorly executed revisit of a previous R2 figure. I'd almost rather had a blue led eye light with sounds.

However, I do really like them. I did buy all 12, and that wasn't the plan when I first heard about these.

Scott:
After having sufficiently fondled the figures this weekend...here goes

ANH

Han Solo:   Great figure, one of the best ever, the likeness, the articulation, every thing about Han is greatness.  The vest thing is a minor quibble really

Luke Skywalker:  Not a great figure by any means, I like the Articulation and how they were able to try some new stuff on him but his face likeness sucks and the tunic is awful.  I would have been open to a plastic tunic with a Outer Poncho...didn't get that though and wit Bobb's fixes the tunic works

Princess Leia: Well, another miss to me.  I don't like the mixture of softgoods with plastic, it ruins the overall asthetics of the figure.  Not sure if the could have pulled off a full length cloth robe though with the figure without getting into some nudity problems.  I agree on the likeness on the face, its close but not quite there.  Not like Obi, Lando or Han are...which is weird they could nail two or three and miss on the others

Obi-Wan Kenobi: The robe is the only thing wrong with the overall figure.  What would have been nice is something Jesse has been saying all along, use the cloth used on the Total Control Mace for cloth Jedi Robes...they didn't and in the end its way too big.  Something that a VOTC Emperor would suffer from horribly unless they would make it all out of a silky material like the capes are on Vader.  The other dissapointment is his look with the robe off...not good and not a good sign of a figure, all of the accessories need to work both on and off.  Missed the mark big time on this one

ESB

Yoda:  Paint color, face likeness and the robe make this another miss.  In fact I think I like the OTC version better.  Its frustrating that they keep doing great figures of Yoda that just miss the mark.  Why the continue to screw up the color and the face likeness is baffling as well

Darth Vader:  Ball Elbows is really the only thing lacking on this.  Could they have made him with those and with a removable two piece helmet?  I think so, why they didn't?  Because they want us to continue to buy Darth Vader figures.  The cloth chain sucks too but its a pretty easy fix

C-3PO:  An overall embarassment...seriously, could possibly be the worst figure of 2004.  Add to the fact that they want $10 for them and that the MMC figure is so far superior to this one is a big eye-roller.  Nice effort and the pining for a definitive knee bending shiney 3PO continues

Lando Calrissian:  I like this figure quite a bit, his cape and articulation are great.  The lack of ball elbows again are a bit of a mystery and as such he looks a little awkward, especially when the POTJ Lando is basically from the same scene of him firing an Imperial Blaster...small quibble, Lando Rocks

ROTJ

Boba Fett:  I really liked this one too, not really anything bad I have to say about Boba.  I had a question about the color of his Jumpsuit but I think its close to ROTJ era Boba.  I think  I will buy a couple 3-4 of extra to paint as a McQuarrie, ESB Boba, Cartoon and Poppa Jango. 

Chewbacca  Awesome likeness, awesome articulation awesome paint job, awesome, awesome, awesome.  Really love this one, probably my favorite of the 12

Stormtrooper  This is my second fav and really the only problem I have is they didn't fix the crotch/hip area as it does the same thing the SA Clone Does...it sort of rubs there when you try and put him in a crouching or squatting position.  The holster also sucks but you rarely saw Stormies with blaster in holster anyway so not too big of a deal.

R2-D2  The stinker of the Wave, Chromed Dome and an attachment that doesn't really work too hot.  A lite up eye port like Deanpaul suggested and a swiss army attachments would have been preferrable but maybe not doable with the size and scale of R2.  Sail Barge R2 kicks VOTC R2's robot ass with a vengance.

So...if I had to rank them 1-12 with #1 being the highest I would go:

1. Chewbacca
2. Stormtrooper
3. Boba Fett
4. Darth Vader
5. Lando Calrissian
6. Han Solo
7. Yoda
8. Luke Skywalker
9. Princess Leia
10. Obi-Wan Kenobi
11. R2-D2