Author Topic: Pittsburgh's "Steel City Con" Toy & Collectible Show  (Read 67607 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Pittsburgh's "Steel City Con" Toy & Collectible Show
« Reply #90 on: August 28, 2008, 02:11 AM »
Or twirl around me spinning elegantly. :) 

Ray Park and Daniel Logan are pretty good guests though.  Never been here before and I am pretty set now on a Park autograph to go with my Prowse one.  I'm pumped I think...  Doubt I go for Logan's  though.  Bulloch's enough for me, and if I were ever to get one for Jango, so be it.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2008, 12:54 AM by Jesse James »
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #91 on: September 30, 2008, 08:16 PM »
The new and improved Pittsburgh Steel City Con is right around the corner...  About a month out from it actually.

The show will feature a number of celebrity guests including Star Wars actors Daniel Logan (Young Boba Fett) as well as Ray Park (Darth Maul), both making their first appearances in the Pittsburgh area.  Not a bad duo at all, and I'm thinking I definitely want a Ray Park autograph.

The new Steel City Con location is the Pittsburgh Indoor Sports Arena just off PA Route 910 in Harmarville.  The convention's new location features more floorspace for vendors and show guests, and they're also extending the show to 3 day weekends.  Friday Oct. 24th, Saturday Oct. 25th, and Sunday Oct. 26th

As always the show is expected to generate a lot of Star Wars goodness, and this October's show will also feature the local Toy Drive.  Sponsored by the Pennsylvania Star Wars Collector's Society (PSWCS) and the local 501st Legion Garrison Carrida, the toy drive is always a big success, so please bring a packaged toy to donate if you can!

The new location for the Steel City Con is one exit further East (Harville/Allegheny Valley Exit) on the PA Turnpike from the old location, so it's a very convenient stop, and only 15 or 20 minutes from downtown Pittsburgh!  There are plenty of hotels in the area, and the Pittsburgh Mills Mall is a short drive North of the new show.  (And if you're in the area, I happen to live pretty close to all this so hopefully I'll see you there!)

So if your'e in the area, or not even, make the trip!  It's always a Star Wars haven and worth it.  The new and improved Steel City Con is bound to have what you want, modern or vintage, and we'll look forward to seeing you there!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #92 on: January 26, 2009, 11:46 PM »
Next Show...  The weekend of April 24th!

This show will be again at the Pittsburgh Indoor Sports Arena, which is in my neck of the woods (well, where I spend half my time anyway), and they just announced today their first Star Wars celebrity guest.  Orli Shoshan is going to be there (Shaak Ti).  I have no idea for sure, but I think this is the first time she's been to Pittsburgh area, no?  Very cool.

The show had a pretty good turnout in October for the new location.  Parking is a bit of a premium so get there early, but it's not too bad either.  It's just not as abundant as the old place.

Unfortunately, my new work schedule's got me busy Saturdays, so I doubt I'm there till Sunday now.  Still, it's a great show as always, so I'm hoping Ic an convince you Pittsburgh guys to shift your day you go!

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 18, 2009, 06:27 AM »
Would like to visit one day

I'm about 2hr away, never been in one, but seen people bringing their huge stuff at diferent malls, price goes to ok  to extreme...

.For how much goes the price per figures,vehicle etc., at these conventions,retails,aforable, or ?

.Can one find people with their loose figure/vehicle collection & return home with a good  lot, or you seen just carded stuff?

Thats my main reason to visit, 2nd just for my wife,kids & I experience a diferent stuff, probably on a Saturday.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2009, 06:28 AM by Theta 288 »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #94 on: February 19, 2009, 12:27 AM »
In general it's a pretty good mix Theta...  I usually get good deals on loose stuff, army builders, random junk that I want.  There's lots of vintage at it usually which of course is pricey.  Usually a healthy mix of carded and loose there too.

Lots of carded modern at the show but the prices are usually disturbing.  Loose stuff is usually much more acceptable price-wise.

Let me know if you're coming into town for the show Theta.  I didn't realize you lived that close by.  I'm guessing you're in Ohio somewhere then. 

I'll not be at the show Saturdays for the foreseable future, but instead I'll be hitting it on Sunday.

The show is always great though.  This will only be its second time at the new venue though, so it's still going through some growing pains, but was still busy back in October.  I imagine it'll be busy this April too.

Anyway, you can always find something good at the show...  The "latest" stuff usually has a pretty outrageous pricetag on it, but older stuff is often pretty easy to obtain at a fair price.  I have a rule of never paying more than its original retail cost, and I've stuck to that since I started collecting, but yet I've always spent a lot at the TOy Show, so I manage to always get a LOT of great deals.

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 21, 2009, 12:39 PM »
In general it's a pretty good mix Theta...  I usually get good deals on loose stuff, army builders, random junk that I want.  There's lots of vintage at it usually which of course is pricey.  Usually a healthy mix of carded and loose there too.

Lots of carded modern at the show but the prices are usually disturbing.  Loose stuff is usually much more acceptable price-wise.

Let me know if you're coming into town for the show Theta.  I didn't realize you lived that close by.  I'm guessing you're in Ohio somewhere then. 

I'll not be at the show Saturdays for the foreseable future, but instead I'll be hitting it on Sunday.

The show is always great though.  This will only be its second time at the new venue though, so it's still going through some growing pains, but was still busy back in October.  I imagine it'll be busy this April too.

Anyway, you can always find something good at the show...  The "latest" stuff usually has a pretty outrageous pricetag on it, but older stuff is often pretty easy to obtain at a fair price.  I have a rule of never paying more than its original retail cost, and I've stuck to that since I started collecting, but yet I've always spent a lot at the TOy Show, so I manage to always get a LOT of great deals.

I'm very glad for your information Jesse!  :)

My wife liked the plan for us to stay in a hotel room for 2 days, perhaps arriving saturday, that would give us a chance to meet each other  ;)

And  indeed, I'm  an Ohioan just in front of Lake Erie to give you a hint  ;).

I'm sad to heard of how expensive one  can find the newest stuff, but of course, it was to be expected,& I will follow your rule ( not buying at scalping price).

I hope this is the way or secret if I'm not mistaking of getting  a richer SW collection for a fair price  of course not in one day...

PS: I always wonder, how a big collector like Darth Soundwave got his huge Clone collection, he woulnd't reveal where he got them from, but he stated that he got each figures at $2.50 each, and I know that few local stores in the same area wouldn't ever have that amount of each clones that he has... so there must be a Star Wars Black Market somewhere  :), cuz he said as well that he is not "rich" but indeed has one of the richest collection ever seen....So my question is: Where Tha F*** he got it from?  :)

Contact you soon Jess if this goes on for real!  ;), just looking for a good time with fans & family & not just up to  my foolish dream , but at least I expect to find the clone variants that I dont have  & other characters of interest.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2009, 02:37 PM by Theta 288 »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #96 on: March 23, 2009, 10:52 PM »
The April 24th, 25th, and 26th show updated with a new guest...

Anthony Daniels is showing up!  Pretty darn cool.  Wishing he was there Sunday, but betting he won't be, so I'm going to probably have to miss out on his autograph.  However, that's a big name for the show and it'd be great to see him.  :)

Offline Theta 288

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 23, 2009, 11:02 PM »
The April 24th, 25th, and 26th show updated with a new guest...

Anthony Daniels is showing up!  Pretty darn cool.  Wishing he was there Sunday, but betting he won't be, so I'm going to probably have to miss out on his autograph.  However, that's a big name for the show and it'd be great to see him.  :)

Just let him sign your Exclusive C-3po card with the  large golden phallus... you will get more than his autograph  ;)

PS: dont do it... he hate that card haha!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #98 on: April 23, 2009, 06:51 PM »
Hey James,

Not sure if you're around but I see a lot of folks from NY are coming in and wanting to meet up, and places to eat and things...  If you're around here before the show, let them know everyone is welcome to meet up for dinner or lunch with the PA guys.

The restaurant down over the hill that is a Pittsburgh tradition is "Primanti Brothers".  The original restaurants are down in the city, but the ones out in the burbs are just as good, and have generally bigger menues than the ones in the city do.

I'll be around Friday, maybe you can meet up with the locals and come grab a bite at Primanti's. :)

Talk to you over the weekend though.  I'm sure I'll run into you.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #99 on: April 28, 2009, 01:17 AM »
A little wrap-up here on the Steel City Con from this past weekend...

First, as always the show was a good time.  The local PSWCS crew didn't have a really firm get-together though, as the location + 3-day-weekend + everyone's schedule conflicts pretty much put the kabosh on a really solid way we could all gather.  Still though I got to see/hang out with a couple of the gang, and that's always a good thing! [/end Martha]

I went Friday afternoon to get sort of a feel as to what was available and if any of it was at a fair price...  As per usual the show had a LOT of modern, and some of it was pretty good prices.  Some newer items were fairly priced too, like the Joker Squad sets, but I didn't see anything BRAND new at any table...  That's good since it means they hadn't gotten it to hock yet.  :-X

I didn't see much vintage though, and that was a bummer...  A couple of the regular vintage dealers weren't there unfortunately it seemed, so there wasn't much for the old school collector to enjoy, but I suspect the next show will be different. ;)  More on that later.

There were a number of GI Joe items, both vintage and new, but no DVD packs.  I was looking for the last one for my brother but couldn't find it.  Bummer.

There was a cool "ghost" picture booth...  This was towards the back rows, and what it was, was this guy makes pictures that, as you walk past them, they change from a normal photo to the characters in it being dead or something.  It's very cool!  I actually have something similar from Big Lots this past Halloween, and the ones this couple did and had on display were similar but much higher quality.  Very neat stuff.

There were some talented sketch artists in attendance as well, though sketch art and comics aren't my cup of tea really.

The R2 Builders Club was there and had their astromechs and mouse droids all on display and running.  They hit my foot/shin with a mouse droid after losing control of him though. ;D  Not sure if any of them stop by JD's forums to read this but I sorta laughed.  It rolled over then and fell apart.  I never saw a MD do that in Star Wars ever, but it was funny when it happened at my feet.

The PSWCS crew didn't have a table, and that's another reason it was a little hard to gather, as we always use the table as a meeting spot at the show, but it's also tough to staff the table as we don't have a huge crew out here in the West like they do in the East, plus we're all always busy on the weekends it seems so time is sparse.

I got to run into Bob, Mike, Bill F., Dave...  I'm hoping Scott/Nikki are better!

Dave, Bill, and myself all headed down to Primanti's Friday night after the show for dinner and my gf came down as well.  As always, Primanti's rocks.  I ran into Bob and Mike on Sunday, the other day I attened, and it's always good to see you guys...  Hopefully soon we can ALL get together maybe this Summer. 

Orli Shoshan was there signing, and man is she a beautiful girl...  I truly wouldn't have guessed what she looked like under the make-up.  I hope she had a good time signing.  I didn't actually get her autograph and only spoke with her as Mike was sitting with her, but she seemed pretty nice.

I did get Anthony Daniels to sign for me, as I would've forever regretted it, had I not.  I told him to have a good time in Pittsburgh and he surprised me by saying he's actually here quite often.  I heard later he maybe teaches a drama class at Pitt, so that's neat.  He said he always enjoys his time here...  he strikes me as a pretty cultured and traveled guy, so I was curious where he's found here that he enjoys dining at the most.  I'm a big dining out guy, and so I always like people's opinions when they travel and experience a lot.  He asked what name I'd like on the auto, and I asked him just for his, and he obliged.  I got it on a photo of him in the Tantive IV corridor...  It's the first scene, so how could you not? :)  Again though, Anthony Daniels was an incredibly cool guy who seemed like you could easily engage him in a conversation if you wanted to for a while.

I didn't buy a TON at this show, but I did score 3 separate "5 for $20" deals...  Two were with the same dealer different times, and one was Sunday with another dealer's table.  I got a bunch of Honor Guards, Death Star Troopers (30AC), Death Star Gunners, ROTS Royal and Senate Guard, and a Capt. Antilles (Saga) figure.  All good deals.

Dave ordered a bunch of Joker Squad sets too, so I got one of those off him for a cool $36...  I spent more than enough.  Mr. Daniels' autograph was only $25 though, so that was a steal for a photo and signature from the only guy in all 6 films.  Very cool.

OK, so the good news...  As much as I enjoy the new location since it's in my basically back yard, I'll be happy to announce that in December the show RETURNS to Monroeville, PA.  While I like having the convenience of it here, the area is just not suited to conventions.  I think Monroeville is such a big suburb with much more to do outside the show at it, that the show will be best there for growth and attracting people further away.

The new convention center in Monroeville will be right near the old Expo Mart.  The old Wickes Furniture is bieng renovated into a con center now, and that's awesome.  It'll be by the famed Monroeville Mall again (Dawn of the Dead fans rejoice at that), and I'll just enjoy having more places to dine at and things... t hough I'm cool if we always go to Primanti's now!

If any of you guys from out of town come into Pitt for a future show, LET ME KNOW!  You're more than welcome to come grab lunch with the locals.  Seriously I like hanging out with new folks, so just PM me or whatever...  It was a great show, and I'm sure it'll get growing again in Monroeville as I think the new (now old) location stunted it slightly on growth.

(And as always a thanks to the show's staff for giving me the "in" for the weekend!  Dom and the gang rock!!!!)

Offline sabresedge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 16, 2009, 01:29 AM »
The show's first SW guest for December will be Peter Mayhew! I imagine more will be announced this summer. ;)

James
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #101 on: May 16, 2009, 05:13 PM »
I am already stoked for this guest.  :)  New center, awesome guest...  You gotta come eat at Primanti's with us too for once.

Offline sabresedge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 17, 2009, 05:35 PM »
I am already stoked for this guest.  :)  New center, awesome guest...  You gotta come eat at Primanti's with us too for once.

I'll be set up at this one. It might be too much to ask the wife to watch the booth while I leave to go get food, but you never know. ;)

James
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #103 on: May 17, 2009, 10:26 PM »
I'll do dinner after the show too...  Either would suit me honestly.  You guys just have to try the local cuisine at least once. ;)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #104 on: November 2, 2009, 09:17 PM »
It's that time of year again...

Pittsburgh's Steel City Con returns to the Pittsburgh area, and makes its homecoming back to Monroeville, PA (Home to the Monroeville Mall, the setting of the original "Dawn of the Dead").

People come from around the country for this show, and it's back in busy Monroeville so the lodging and shopping abound for those coming in for the weekend.  

Check out the link to read up on the show, and the special Star Wars guest Peter Mayhew!  I'll be in attendance for at least one day, possibly more, and look forward to seeing you there! :)
« Last Edit: November 2, 2009, 09:18 PM by Jesse James »