Author Topic: Pittsburgh's "Steel City Con" Toy & Collectible Show  (Read 67617 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Pgh toy show
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2005, 02:17 AM »
Welp, as per the front page...

The Pittsburgh Toy & Collectibles Show returns to the Pittsburgh Expo Mart.  Located in the Monroeville suburb of Pittsburgh, the Expo Mart is situated right in front of the mall Dawn of the Dead was filmed in.

The show's a haven for good finds.  I got my double telescoping Luke there one year so there's some nice scores to be had.  Always good to meet up with the PSWCS members as well.

And speaking of...  The Pennsylvania Star Wars Collector's Society will be holding their annual toy drive (in conunction with the 501st Stormtrooper Legion) with a booth at the show.  They'll be accepting donations or you can contact Bill Cable at the PSWCS site to make a donation by mail.

Between Greg Brady, Horshack from Welcome Back Kotter, and the glorious me being there, how can you NOT go to this?  If you're absent...  You betta have a note!  haha, get it?  Like Horshack...  Hah!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline MetalJedi

• Jedi Knight
  • The Risk Always Lives
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2005, 01:32 PM »

Hey, I can see Fiddler's Green from here.  ;D
I remember my dream now.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2005, 09:35 AM »

The Pittsburgh Toy & Collectibles Show returns to the Pittsburgh Expo Mart.  Located in the Monroeville suburb of Pittsburgh, the Expo Mart is situated right in front of the mall Dawn of the Dead was filmed in.

The show's a haven for good finds.  I got my double telescoping Luke there one year so there's some nice scores to be had.  Always good to meet up with the PSWCS members as well.

And speaking of...  The Pennsylvania Star Wars Collector's Society will be holding their annual toy drive (in conunction with the 501st Stormtrooper Legion) with a booth at the show.  They'll be accepting donations or you can contact Bill Cable at the PSWCS site to make a donation by mail.

Between Greg Brady, Horshack from Welcome Back Kotter, and the glorious me being there, how can you NOT go to this?  If you're absent...  You betta have a note!  haha, get it?  Like Horshack...  Hah!

Hah, I can't wait to go to this. I  came last year looking for Halo stuff and this show really got me started on SW.
My whole expanse...I cannot see...

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 4, 2005, 08:02 PM »
It was okay this year. I found an Ani Evolutions and a Gree, wanted to find a Gunship, couldn't find one but then saw this dad with 2 two little kids that had two. Didn't bother me because the kids were really excited. All in all, pretty good.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #34 on: December 5, 2005, 01:56 AM »
Dude, you should've said something so we could have met up.  Me and some of the PSWCS guys went to John Harvard's afterwards for their beer/lunch.  Good times.

I bought a bunch of loose stuff for a fair price.  Retail actually so that's all that makes me happy.  I got 2 ROTS Royal Guards (1 red, 1 blue), a VOTC stormtroooper MOC, a Red EE Clone, a Blue EE Clone (He had a green one for $8 or I'd have got it too), an Imp. Officer POTJ, an TRU Imp pack Stormtrooper....  The guy tried cheating me though on price as I asked him to "do a deal for me on price" since I bought so much and his idea of a "deal" was basically selling me stuff for a couple bucks OVER what the stickers added up to.  I asked him if he could do better and finally I got what they basically added up to (slightly less).   ::)  What a total dick though.

And on top of that I heard, at least twice, dealers pulling the age old scam of "I thought you gave me a $10?" when giving out change.  THis has happened to me twice at the shows but not in the same day.  So either there's a lotta douchebags who failed Math at this show running dealer tables or this is jsut a pretty common scheme by guys who don't want to look for gainful employment.  I'm wagering it's more the latter.

I didn't find a LOT at the show.  It was disappointing...  Nirvana, you really should have hooked up with the local guys because someone very well may have a Gunship or Ani Evolutions available for you for cost.  The local group is really tight knit and helpful.

So that was about it for me...  I got Vintage hand-crank "Movie Viewer" lot too.  It was pretty sweet and for $16 it was cheap to get what I think is an almost complete set.

Vintage was a bit more sparse and modern was OUTRAGEOUSLY priced at the show.  As predicted I saw exactly why finding a Shocktrooper, "final 12" figure, or Evolutions set is a real bitch too.  Table upon table had modern stuff out the whazzoo, and I saw average prices of basic figures was around $15 - $30.  Evolutions were as much as $50.

Fun to look around the show and hang out.  Finding deals was tough this month though.  I don't pay over retail-ish price so I just had a rough time finding things I could justify buying.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 5, 2005, 03:10 PM »
I bought my Evo at a reasonable price, 25 bucks. I was only there on Sunday because I had to stay after church for something and by the time I got there alot was picked over. I know, I was suprised by how high the price was on RotS basic. 10 dollars for a Royal Guard? No thanks. I suddenly knew where the Tarkin wave and the final 12 had gone to. I remember seeing this one fig- a Deluxe Rots Emporor for 28 DOLLARS. Just because he had two left hands. Who the f cares? I wasn't impressed by this year's, IMO last year was better.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #36 on: December 6, 2005, 12:14 AM »
It's bigger than it had been, I give it that, because I've been at the show when half that room was filled and those were rough years, but yeah it wasn't very hoppin' with deals.

I look for customs fodder and junk...  Vintage I've sorta bowed out of till prices stabilize, but I almost did bite on a $75 Amanaman actually.  Modern's just a sham there unless you're buying stuff that's become things that dealers were stuck with.  They're like riding some weird high on SW toys though with the ROTS film year.  I think in a year we'll see things back to normal where guys have bins of ROTS figures (and older stuff) for like $3 to $5 a figure.  THEN I'm willing to buy. :)  Not before I try to weasel them down some though, that's my style!  haha!  I love it!

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #37 on: December 7, 2005, 02:10 AM »
Heh, after all the PSWCS guys got done exchanging exclusives (we all help each other out, and on items like Wedge, Holiday Vader, trooper, etc. we all go in on bulk deals to save on S&H (works out to be like $15 and change vs. $22 per fig.)

so, I ran up a hefty exclusives tab, so I went on a mission for weird stuff like:

(2) vintage X-wing guns-got em!
(1) vintage Battle Damage TIE wing connector piece (got it)
(1) vintage Hoth Rebel trooper micro to match my 4up (got it)

Was looking for a 12" Princess Leia commemorative for a girl to open (box could have been damaged) but didn;t find one, just bought one last night off EBay.

Was a great time hanging out.  Always fun to see jesse and all the others, met a few new guys this time as well.  John Harvards was fun as always!  :^)

I'll post a few pics!

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #38 on: December 7, 2005, 11:24 AM »
Here's a recap of the show toywise.  First off there was a ton of new modern stuff, and as high priced as it was, by the end of the day...IT WAS ALL SELLING! It was insane.  Good to see that the hobby is as strong as ever, but I just hate seeing all the rediculously high scalped prices. Here's what I was seeing:

Unleashed Battle Packs $20  (everyone hates em, I kinda think they'll do well)
B.B. Vader Unleashed $20-$40
Silver Fett $40
Silver Clone $20
Star Tours $25
Target Utapau trooper $25
Covert ops trooper (shopsw) $40
Holo Leia $40
New waves ROTS $10ea.
CIII Vader $40
Jedi Mickey/Yoda Disney $40 selling well at $40 I might add
Animated Clones $15ish Yoda $20
Target Clone $30
BK Vaders $5-$10 seemed to sell at the $5 price, sit at the $10
OTC common $7-$12 (very hot line) Sandtroopers for $40, ST's and Vaders $25ish
Toyfare Vader only one $200
Target Vader saw one go immediately for $50+ many sold for $60+

Vintage was scarcer than usual.  Talking to the guys, all loose vintage seemed to be selling like hotcakes!  They said it seemed younger or newer collectors that were starting to dabble in vintage for the first time seemed to be testing the waters with items like $10 loose figs vs. say $300 carded.  (this is also a good sign to see people getting into vintage)  I have a feeling it's only a matter of time before they make the jump fully.

12" common also seemed to jump, as $20 seemed to be the base for many modern, so that seemed to jump back up to what you'd normally pay retail for them.  (only a few yrs. back they were going low for about $10-$15.  Some insanely high prices on the more exclusive 12"ers. (speeders, 100th Luke, KB 3 and 4 packs, 2 packs, Taun-tauns, etc. etc.)

Vehicles still remain to be very hot.  Falcons, gunships, etc. were all gone first hour of the show.

I was dissapointed in that a majority of the new stuff was just hasbro stuff.  (I can understand vendors wanting to buy, clean the shelves and make a quick buck on $5 Hasbro figs, makes sense in that respect) I thought I would see a bunch of the miniatures, Attacktix, busts, bust-ups, and some MR, Code 3, Koto, Attackus, but saw virtually NONE.  No high end stuff whatsoever.

Do keep in mind at the show, the prices are usually slightly higher than the norm, vs. EBay you don't have to pay s&H, can usually wheel and deal for deals, you know you won;t get taken or worry about not getting what you paid for, and you actually can hold and see what you are getting, no surprises.

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2005, 12:34 AM »
I'm going to clear the 11th of March from my Calander, and drive to Pgh so I can come to the show.

Who else is going to be there?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #40 on: December 29, 2005, 02:44 AM »
9 chances out of 10, me.

And most of the other locals make the show...  Bobafett14 for instance, etc...  Lots of guys from the PSWCS for lack of a detailed list.  Hell Bill Cable's been known to make an appearance though I haven't seen him for a little while.

It's always a good time, let me know if you're coming into town Kevin.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2006, 11:58 PM »
Another show on the horizon...  It's become a tri-annual thing around here if I'm not mistaken with a March show, a show in summer-ish time I think?, and of course the first weekend in December show that has become the "big one" in the area.

http://www.pittsburghtoyshow.com/

There ya go for all the information...  The upcoming show is March 11th and 12th at the Pittsburgh Expo Mart.  The Expo Mart is in the Monroeville suburb of Pittsburgh, which is easily accessable off the Parkway East from downtown Pittsburgh and also easily accessed by the Pennsylvania Turnpike, I-76.  It's very easy to get to, traffic is light...

This is also home of the upcoming Pittsburgh Comic-Con as well, due in April if I'm not mistaken (lost my paper, it's here somewhere).

If you can make either show I'll be at both on their respective Saturday's.  The PSWCS West group, and the 501st Stormtrooper Legion are always in attendance as well.  This March Toy SHow I hear is gonna have Czechov from Star Trek!  They've moved up quite a bit from Eddie Munster, the Soup Nazi from Seinfeld, Horshack from Welcome Back Kotter, and Greg Brady...  :)

Good stuff though, always a great show to browse and enjoy the sights....   Unfortunately I've found that conventions have certain smells you don't wanna enjoy but that's all cons in my experience.  :P

If you can make a weekend of it, Pittsburgh's a beautiful city to visit...  Good dining, nightlife, shopping...  You'll have a good time.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #42 on: March 10, 2006, 01:44 AM »
Pittsburgh Toy Show Saturday...  Can't wait.

Show's good if you are within the range of Western PA.  You should come check it out.

Offline Nirvana

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 10, 2006, 08:36 AM »
I'm going on Sunday with my friend Nick, aka Darth Nuch. I liked it back in December, just hope that I'll be able to find some moderately priced SAGA2 stuff.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #44 on: March 10, 2006, 07:04 PM »
I wouldn't count on that.  You should ask around here to see what you can get for your Saga needs and beyond that I'd wait it out...

Feeding the scalpers at the show only encourages them though.

I go to just take advantage of them by getting stuff for less than retail that they can't unload...  Or vintage stuff I want and odds/ends on the cheap, but otherwise I go with the mindset that I'm not paying one cent over retail for this crap to one of the sleeze running a booth that will undoubtebly want in the $30 range for a Scorch or Utapau Clone.