Author Topic: Pittsburgh's "Steel City Con" Toy & Collectible Show  (Read 67613 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Pittsburgh's "Steel City Con" Toy & Collectible Show
« Reply #150 on: November 7, 2012, 07:20 PM »
Hey!  Backoff!  She's mine!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
« Reply #151 on: November 14, 2012, 02:14 PM »
Hey,

You ever pick a place for diner that Friday night?
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #152 on: November 14, 2012, 02:52 PM »
Check the Pittsburgh section under our Mission Logs here.  I'm going to try for a headcount soon!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #153 on: November 20, 2012, 05:40 PM »

It's that time of year again...  Pittsburgh's Steel City Con returns on December 7th, 8th, and 9th!  Will you be attending?  Here's some details you'll want to check out!

First, the convention is located at the Monroeville Convention Center, which is located off the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and is minutes on the Parkway East from downtown Pittsburgh in Monroeville, PA.

The Monroeville Mall is the filming location for the original Dawn of the Dead, and is right beside the Monroeville Convention Center.  It's a nice little attraction for zombie film fans who maybe want to check it out too.

There are several convenient hotels in the vicinity!

If you're planning on attending, it's highly recommended you  Buy A 3-Day Pass Early, as it gets you early admission into the show, and you also get a goodie bag valued at more than the price of the early 3-day pass itself.  Hurry and order as time is running out!

The December show is always the biggest, and doors open Friday at 2 P.M.!  The show always has a varied guest list, and this one is no different.

Guest List:
    • Louis Gosset Jr.
    • Cassandra Peterson "Elvira"
    • Sergeant Slaughter
    • Richard Hatch "Capt. Apollo"
    &
    • Peter Mayhew

For the Star Wars fans!

While Chewbacca himself is a great addition for the fans, there will also be members of the 501st Garrison Carida on hand costuming and taking pictures with the fans!  They're also taking Star Wars Toy Donations they'll hand out at children's hospitals throughout the year!

Likewise, members of the Pennsylvania Star Wars Collecting Society (including yours truly) will have a booth set up.  They'll be taking toy donations as well, and will also be selling their 2012 LFL sanctioned Charity Medallion at the show, which is for a very good cause.

The PSWCS membership are also planning to dine after the show Friday.  Contact me privately either on here, or at jmccracken@jedidefender.com, if you're interested in joining the dinner after the show Friday evening.  It's very close to the convention center so even if you're from out of town it's easy to get to!

Look forward to seeing you at another great Steel City Con![/list]
    « Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 05:44 PM by Jesse James »

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
      • View Profile
    « Reply #154 on: December 5, 2012, 08:09 PM »
    Really looking forward to dinner, and to the show.  Won;t be buying much, but you never know, usually walk out with a little something at each show.

Be good to see you again my man!  Been a while.

I'll have the "box 'O crap" to do some trading.  I'm hoping some folks bring the new Topps cards, I'm hoping to trade some of the misc small stuff I have to try and piece the set together.
    Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
    • Grand Master
    • Slippery When Poopy
      • View Profile
      • JediDefender.com
    « Reply #155 on: December 5, 2012, 08:17 PM »
    Looking forward to it too.  Bitner helped me get the reservations...  Should be fun!

Just hope I got enough seats incase extra wind up coming along.

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
      • View Profile
    « Reply #156 on: December 21, 2012, 01:39 PM »
    It was good to see eveyone this year.  Was able to hit up BWW with the PSWCS (how's that for using abbreviations?) Had some fun and some trades landed me the following:

* Some more Topps Galactic Files cards and a little bit closer to completing the collection. 
    * A gammorean Guard- Thanks Jesse!
    * A VC ARC TRooper
    * A Club Fett poster auto'd by the artist at the show.
    * A Mon Mothma Celebration auto's 8X10 to add to the 8x10 autograph wall at home. (already had Caroline's auto on the fig and poster, jut not on an 8X10.

Show was pretty good as it usually has been. Was able to snag:

* Some carded VC figs (some unpunched) for $5ea. including the Luke Lightsaber deleted scene.
    *  A few more LE Silver base Attactix figs.  Not really actively looking for them, but over the years I have been able to grab a bunch of the silver base variations, so if I happen to see any in the clearance bins, or boxes at shows and conventions, I'll grab them.  Got about 4 of them for $2 total, not bad.
    * That's about it.  GF grabbed some misc SW and superhero figs for the kids for Xmas.

As far as what SW was at the show...the vintage is becoming scarce, and the little there rends to be pretty pricey.  one of the Ohio guys sets up shop every year and is about the only reasonably priced when it comes to vintage SW.

POTF2, POTJ, EPI...all in a lot less quantities.   Used to find a ton of these in clearance bins/boxes for $2-$3ea. carded.  Now it's more like $5 and up.  Loose you used to be able to grab most for $1-$2, now it's more like $3 or $4ea.  So the early modern is getting a bit tougher to spot, and the prices seem to be slowly creeping up on those.

The recently released modern is rediculously priced.  $40-$50 for some of the very HTF modern figs, not a ton of them available, but enought that they shouldn't be that much.  The latest VC wave wasn't all over the place like I thought it would be, but most from that wave were $14 and up, with a coupld going as high as $40.

All and all a great show, lots of fun, good seeing everyone...mission accomplished!

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
      • View Profile
    « Reply #157 on: January 18, 2013, 03:51 PM »
    Dave Prowse is going to be signing at the April 5-7, 2013 Steel City con.  Details below:

http://www.steelcitycon.com/

I've seen him numerous times, and have a bunch of stuff autographed by him.  One thing to keep in mind, is that a lot of the original SW folks are getting up there in age.  You just never know when the last time will be that you can get an auto or one last photo op with some folks may be.

I bought a Deluxe Vader costume last month.  I may just bring the hemlmet and have hom sign it.

See you there!

Bob

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
    • Grand Master
    • Slippery When Poopy
      • View Profile
      • JediDefender.com
    « Reply #158 on: March 19, 2013, 02:55 AM »

It's that time of year again...  Pittsburgh's Steel City Con returns on April 5th, 6th, & 7th!  Will you be attending?  Here's some details you'll want to check out!

First, the convention is located at the Monroeville Convention Center, which is located off the Pennsylvania Turnpike, and is minutes on the Parkway East from downtown Pittsburgh in Monroeville, PA.

The Monroeville Mall is the filming location for the original Dawn of the Dead, and is right beside the Monroeville Convention Center.  It's a nice little attraction for zombie film fans who maybe want to check it out too.

If you're planning on attending, it's highly recommended you  Buy A 3-Day Pass Early, as it gets you early admission into the show, and you also get a goodie bag valued at more than the price of the early 3-day pass itself.  Hurry and order as time is running out!

Just today they announced the Goodie Bag included with the 3-Day pre-order includes a Star Wars figure too, so makes it more worth it for the SW fans.

The guest list is growing again, but two big names for fans of LFL...

Guest List:
      • Dave Prowse
      &
      • Karen Allen

Dave Prowse is back, and that's awesome but now Karen Allen's doing shows so the Indy fans are going to be happy too.  There will also be members of the 501st Garrison Carida on hand costuming and taking pictures with the fans!  They're also always taking Star Wars Toy Donations they'll hand out at children's hospitals throughout the year!

Likewise, members of the Pennsylvania Star Wars Collecting Society (including yours truly) will have a booth set up.  They'll be taking toy donations as well, and will also be selling their 2012 LFL sanctioned Charity Medallion at the show, which is for a very good cause.

The PSWCS membership always dine after the show.  Contact me privately either on here, or at jmccracken@jedidefender.com, if you're interested in joining the dinner after the show, most likely Friday evening.  It's very close to the convention center so even if you're from out of town it's easy to get to!

Look forward to seeing you at another great Steel City Con![/list]

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
      • Grand Master
      • Slippery When Poopy
        • View Profile
        • JediDefender.com
      « Reply #159 on: April 8, 2013, 12:58 AM »
      Another fantastic Steel City Con is in the bag for me...  A smaller turnout for the PA group on Friday but obligations are what they are.

I managed ANOTHER ASP-7 Droid thanks to some keen eyes helping me out.  Otherwise, the steak would've ended.  whew.

A fun day though.  Got some good deals...  Didn't see a lot on Sunday I wanted, kinda was being extra cheap this show for some reason.

Sophia from Walking Dead had a huge line on Friday.  Good for her...  It was good to see Dave Prowse making the rounds.  I'm curious to see if the show lines up some of the Clone Wars cast or other Star Wars celebs going forward.  Indiana Jones actors would be nice to see more of too now that Karen Allen's doing that circuit.

Overall, as always, a great show with great people...  The longer hours are a mixed bag for many.  They don't really affect me, but I heard good/bad feelings from vendors.

James, you're the man, and always good to see you.  I need to get you a Vinty list of what I'm after asap, haha.  Amanaman is tops on that list though.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
      • Grand Master
      • Slippery When Poopy
        • View Profile
        • JediDefender.com
      « Reply #160 on: July 9, 2013, 02:14 AM »
      Once again, right around the corner, Pittsburgh's Steel City Con returns!  Check out www.SteelCityCon.com for details.

So far Jett Lucas and Tom Kane (Voice of Yoda on Clone Wars) are attending, along with the usual litany of celebs from wrestling, TV, movies and more. 

I'm kind of shocked at Jett Lucas doing the cons now...  I figured it wouldn't be his thing.

I'm excited for this show though, and hoping more Clone Wars voice talent make the trip out to shows in the future.  It's a nice new well to dip into. :)

Myself and other PSWCS members will be there...  Also 501st, Garrison Carrida is always there.  I hope the R2 Builders are too because for some reason (could it be the insanely awesome RC lifesize astromechs?) these guys are popular.

I'm excited though, and hope to find another ASP 7.  A cheap Fleet trooper or 10 wouldn't hurt me either but not expected. :(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
      • Grand Master
      • Slippery When Poopy
        • View Profile
        • JediDefender.com
      « Reply #161 on: July 28, 2013, 05:01 PM »
      Steel City Con was another rousing success...  :)  I blew a cool $60 first day on good deals.

Good seeing everyone local, as well as Chris and the guys from Sandtroopers.com were there.  A lot of new vendors this time I noticed.  Lot more out of staters...  Not any empty space now.  I guess tables sold out quickly.

I'm looking forward to December's show already!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
      • Grand Master
      • Slippery When Poopy
        • View Profile
        • JediDefender.com
      « Reply #162 on: November 11, 2013, 03:23 PM »

It's that time of year again...  Pittsburgh's Steel City Con returns on December 6th, 7th, & 8th!  Will you be attending?  Here's some details you'll want to check out!

The December show is always the biggest!  Also, this year's show has expanded to both sides of the convention center, and includes so much more.  From costuming contests, to charity auctions, Car Show cars for photo ops, Artist's Alley, Celebrity Q&A's, and more!  The show is also expected to expand to discussion panels and more.  Steel City Con continues to grow every year.

The show always has a varied guest list, and this one is no different.

Guest List:
      • George Takei (all 3 days!)
      • Michael Biehn (Terminator, Aliens, Tombstone)
      • Kylie Symanski (Penny from The Walking Dead)
      • Ted Dibiasi (The Million Dollar Man from WWE)
      &
      • Kee Chan (Senator Male-Dee from Revenge of the Sith)

For the Star Wars fans!

While Kee Chan is signing for the first time in Pittsburgh and is a great addition, there will also be members of the 501st Garrison Carida on hand costuming and taking pictures with the fans!  They're also taking Star Wars Toy Donations they'll hand out at children's hospitals throughout the year!

Likewise, members of the Pennsylvania Star Wars Collecting Society (including yours truly) will also be in attendance at the show, roaming the halls looking for deals (and signing up new members).  Want to join?  Look for the PSWCS T-Shirts!  They're all over the place at the show!

The PSWCS membership are also planning to dine after the show Friday.  Contact me privately either on here, or at jmccracken@jedidefender.com, if you're interested in joining the dinner after the show Friday evening.  It's very close to the convention center so even if you're from out of town it's easy to get to!

Look forward to seeing you at another great Steel City Con!
      « Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 03:24 PM by Jesse James »

Offline sabresedge

• Youngling
        • View Profile
      « Reply #163 on: November 12, 2013, 12:39 PM »
      Always a great show with a strong SW presence. I'll be there with plenty of Vintage and Modern stuff so get there early for the best selection. I'm in the center of the venue with the large SABRES EDGE TOYS banner. Stop on out and say hey and see everyone there!

James
      There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
      • Grand Master
      • Slippery When Poopy
        • View Profile
        • JediDefender.com
      « Reply #164 on: November 12, 2013, 02:52 PM »
      I'm gonna have to check out that booth. :P

See ya that Friday James, looking forward to it as always!

If you've got some really busted up MLC-3's, lemme know!  Also still searching for that original Amanaman staff even if it's with a figure in less than hot condition.