Author Topic: Pittsburgh's "Steel City Con" Toy & Collectible Show  (Read 67626 times)

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Pennsylvania Star Wars Collectors Society
Re: Pittsburgh's "Steel City Con" Toy & Collectible Show
« Reply #165 on: November 22, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Gonna try and make it out, possibly Friday.  May just do dinner with te guys on Fri ad hit the show Sat.  ??? always a last min. decision.  Looking forward to another Star Wars autograph, and also yet another Walking Dead autograph on my original AMC Season 1 poster.
Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 4, 2013, 12:50 PM »
We doing Brewstone again for dinner Fri night????

Star Wars and toy Collector since 1978(age 7).  currently over 6,500 SW items in my personal collection. Collect modern/vintage and everything in-between ;^)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #167 on: December 4, 2013, 02:06 PM »
No decisions been made but I'm fine with Brewstone cuz I want beer.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline bobafett14

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 5, 2013, 03:12 PM »
Sounds good to me.  Kip mentioned Brewstone as well, so I guess that's what I'm pushing for.  I'll be at the show in the afternoon.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #169 on: December 5, 2013, 04:40 PM »
I'm aiming for 2...  gotta work a little in the morning/early afternoon and clean up at Diane's before I head over.  Looks like weather might get funky for the ride home.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #170 on: December 5, 2013, 08:47 PM »
Anyone worried about weather?

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #171 on: December 9, 2013, 03:44 AM »
Well ultimately weather killed it for me since freezing rain hit right when I was to be heading to the show Friday afternoon...  On my way home from work though, I avoided an accident on some fresh ice, so I can't exactly say I felt bad for not coming out Friday like I planned.  :-X  That stuff hit exactly as they predicted and treating didn't seem to help it.  Weather's the only part of the December show I can't stand, since it's unpredictable generally.

I wound up making it Saturday.  I got to hang at James' booth a little while, but that was the extend of my visiting with anyone as I didn't see anyone else there Saturday while I walked around.   :-\  That's my really only regret and/or disappointment with this show.

When they said they were doubling the size of the show, they weren't kidding...

Saturday was PACKED with wall-to-wall nerd.

The main hall was simply jammed with people...  Parking was, simply put, a nightmare at this show compared to any other I've ever attended too.  I was really kind of disappointed in that respect as well, actually, however it didn't dampen my spirits...  It was what it was.  I just was wondering if my (IE: Diane's) car would be there when I left.

The show's toy hall seemed a little more full this time around, and I found some good deals again...  Vintage Collection figures for 3/$25 at one table and they were selling some quality figures for that price too like Fleet Troopers, INC, and more.  I felt that was a steal at the show's normal mark-up on TVC figures...  I'd take $8 RFT's all day long.

I got a 5/$20 deal on some old ROTS and Saga figures as well...  Grabbed a Tanus Spijek, Capt Antilles (2003), Blue Senate Guard, Wookiee Warrior, and Madine for $20...  That's all army building/customizing fodder there, so I was pretty pleased with that purchase.

I saw some pretty goofy prices on some newer figures...  NOT a lot of Black Series sitting around, and what was available was mostly older Wave 1 stuff with overpriced tags on it (Padme and Luke for $15 or more?  Maybe in September but not now!).

I didn't see much 6" or 4" from Black Series really...

Noticing more guys getting into gutting Legos for mini-figures.

Vintage Star Wars was, again, in shorter supply...  It becomes less every show it seems, and James always appears to lead the way in both quality and quantity.

Felt bad for the NotLD guys being stuck in the toy area rather than the "Celebrity Hall" area.  They look like someone wheels them there and drops them off.

I like the "Con" feel they're going for...  Panels are interesting.  I'm thinking that's something that could really expand into something great in the future, as there are obviously some pretty knowledgeable collectors around the area.

I saw a much more diverse crowd too...  A lot more women seemed to be in attendance.  I think the expansion had to have been a success from what I was seeing...  The hours have to be hell on the dealers though.

I didn't get to snap a pic of George Takei as I had hoped...  :(  Love that guy!  He looked as happy as I've seen any celebrity at that show, ever, and he had a huge line of people to see him.

I've got a busy couple months coming up but I hope to see some of you guys soon, even if it's just to grab some beer and conversation at BWW's or something.

Looking forward to the next show already!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #172 on: February 13, 2014, 03:00 AM »
Pittsburgh's Steel City Con (www.SteelCityCon.com) returns to the Monreoville Convention Center just East of downtown Pittsburgh, on April 11th, 12th, & 13th!

Steel City Con has grown, and doubled in size recently, and it has so much to offer that it's much more than just a toy show now...  There are costume contests, gaming tournaments, celebrities, special guests, panels, and more. 

This show features some special sci-fi guests for April as well!

Star Trek: The Next Generation fans will be excited to see Jonathan Frakes (Cmdr. Riker, and Brent Spiner (Lt. Cmdr. Data) both are attending!  This is a first for the show, and I actually have to say as a fan of the show I'm pretty star-struck to see these two...  I'm excited that they're attending!

Star Wars fans aren't let down though, as Demot Crowley (General Crix Madine) and Femi Taylor (Oola) will also be in attendance, flying in from England for the show!  These are pretty special guests, and I'm excited to see both attending!

Other guests include Lee Majors, George "The Animal" Steele, local legend Bruno Sammartino and continuing a new tradition of always having a Walking Dead actor, Travis Love (The Governor's gunman Shumpert, who escaped with Martinez), are all in attendance!  It's an ever-growing show I'm always excited to attend.

3 Day Passes go fast now, and get you priority seating at events, and into the show earlier than non pass holders.

December's show was packed, and I'm sure April's will be as well with hopefully better weather!

As always I'll be there, and I'd really love to see some Jedi Defender fans there as well!  Hit me up if you're attending, and we can hang out after for some dinner with members of the PSWCS.

If you have ANY questions on attending you can contact the show itself or you can contact me as well.  I'm always happy to act as an ambassador for the city and the area.

www.SteelCityCon.com

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #173 on: February 24, 2014, 02:17 AM »
Bump

Dealer and Artists tables are selling out FAST, even with the show doubling in size...  Bigger size seems to mean the crowds are just bigger too, so if you're wanting a table get in on that action now!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2014, 09:25 PM »
Another reminder for all our readers!

Pittsburgh's Steel City Con (www.SteelCityCon.com) returns to the Monreoville Convention Center just East of downtown Pittsburgh, on April 11th, 12th, & 13th!

Steel City Con has grown, and doubled in size recently, and it has so much to offer that it's much more than just a toy show now...  There are costume contests, gaming tournaments, celebrities, special guests, panels, and more. 

This show features some special sci-fi guests for April as well!

Star Trek: The Next Generation fans will be excited to see Jonathan Frakes (Cmdr. Riker, and Brent Spiner (Lt. Cmdr. Data) both are attending!  This is a first for the show, and I actually have to say as a fan of the show I'm pretty star-struck to see these two...  I'm excited that they're attending!

Star Wars fans aren't let down though, as Demot Crowley (General Crix Madine) and Femi Taylor (Oola) will also be in attendance, flying in from England for the show!  These are pretty special guests, and I'm excited to see both attending!

They're a huge get for the show, since they're coming in from England for it.  Very nice!

Other guests include Lee Majors, George "The Animal" Steele, local legend Bruno Sammartino and continuing a new tradition of always having a Walking Dead actor, Travis Love (The Governor's gunman Shumpert, who escaped with Martinez), are all in attendance!  It's an ever-growing show I'm always excited to attend.

3 Day Passes go fast now, and get you priority seating at events, and into the show earlier than non pass holders.

December's show was packed, and I'm sure April's will be as well with hopefully better weather!

As always I'll be there, and I'd really love to see some Jedi Defender fans there as well!  Hit me up if you're attending, and we can hang out after for some dinner with members of the PSWCS.

If you have ANY questions on attending you can contact the show itself or you can contact me as well.  I'm always happy to act as an ambassador for the city and the area.

www.SteelCityCon.com

I'll be attending as will members of the PSWCS throughout the weekend...  I have a few Vintage wants I'm going to be tracking down this show now that I put my loose figure collection out.  I need some upgrades and a Wicket for some reason.

It's been ages since I bought a Vintage figure it seems!  Need a new Leia for sure. :(

This show's always great for Star Wars...  Vintage has dwindled but there are gems, always.  Modern is more dominant and I always walk out with deals there!

Look forward to going, and hopefully seeing some of you at the show!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #175 on: April 4, 2014, 04:29 AM »
Bumpity bump...  are ya ready?  Next Friday, another Steel City Con in Pittsburgh.  Can't wait since weather wrecked my trip with the December show (and it's always the best one, to me  :-\).

Anxious to get out and see everyone though, and looking forward to the whole weekend!

Offline sabresedge

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: April 4, 2014, 12:47 PM »
I'll be there with 7 tables packed with vintage, vintage, vintage. Always a good time and the show is now the largest toy show in PA with BOTH sides of the convention center. Hope to see everyone there and stop by and say hi!

James
There are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: April 17, 2014, 02:12 PM »
Keep forgetting to post about my trip to PA last weekend to hit this con. Thanks Jesse for getting the word out here about it. My wife and I had been looking for a fun day trip minus the kids, and she has a huge crush on Brent Spiner so this worked out great for me.

We came our on Saturday and unfortunately missed the TNG Q&A due to the huuuuuuuuuge line out front, haven't seen anything like that at a con before! Wow! It was nice of the cosplayers to work the line though, kept things fun.

Once inside we had a good time. I didn't find anything on my short list, but I did see some Gentle Giant jumbo vintage figures for the first time in person...specifically rocket firing Boba and the Gam Guard. I didn't "get" these things before holding em in my hand, but that Fett is really a piece of art and I may be picking these up in the future. The show was a great place to see stuff like that, and stuff I hadn't seen for years. As a loose collector, seeing all those 90s and 00s packages really took me back. Never mind all the vintage...

It was just a good fun day. I hadn't been to any cons for 10 years and it was nice to be back, and the bonus was my wife had a fun time too. I didn't have to feel guilty that she was humoring me!

Thanks again Jesse for pointing out the show!

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #178 on: April 17, 2014, 07:33 PM »
I hope you had a good time here man...  How far was the drive?

If I'd known you were coming I'd have tried to meet up with you...  Or at least pointed you to some good places to go eat and try while you're here.  That's 50% of any trip for me is getting to try unique places from where I live, haha.

The PA group did a big meeting Friday, since that seems to work for everyone for the most part.  Lots of people, which was fun.

It was a great show...  Brent Spiner was out shopping just roaming the crowd and was behind us and kind of nodded our way since we were clearly noticing who he was, haha.  Seems like a nice guy.  I missed the ST Q&A too, and wish I hadn't. :(  I couldn't be there for it till it was over.

I hope you had a good time man, it's always fun knowing people are coming in from all over for the show. 

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 19, 2014, 06:11 PM »
Believe me, it was more fun than I expected and enough to recharge my batteries for the week so far.

We live just south of Cleveland so it's basically a straight 2 hour shot on 76 to visit Pittsburgh. You have the closest Ikea so this wasn't even our first day trip out.

And I didn't announce the intention to come because my wife was going round and round about leaving the kids 2 hours away. I was ready to cancel at any point and ready to leave at a moment's notice, so I didn't want to ditch on you or leave you hanging. As it turned out she loved it and had a great time too.

I'm the same way on food though, I was pushing for Primanti Bros but we were pretty beat afterward and settled for the Olive Garden that was right outside the convention center.  Left me with a good excuse to go back.