Author Topic: nip/tuck  (Read 19573 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
nip/tuck
« on: October 6, 2004, 02:10 PM »
I'm an avid fan who watches this show obsessivly every tuesday when it's on. Is anyone else a fan? The show follows the lives of two Miami plastic surgeons and their family life, love life, and sex life. To me, it's truely the best show on television. Last night was the season finale, and it was the best episode I have seen. Fantastic!

Does anyone else watch this great show?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
Re: nip/tuck
« Reply #1 on: October 6, 2004, 03:11 PM »
Yep, Famine, I'm a big fan of the show.  I've just about given up on network television, as I hate reality shows, the dramas are just getting ridiculous, and there hasn't been a good sitcom in ages, but "Nip/Tuck" has given me hope that television might have a few breaths left in it.  Of course, it IS on cable, so the networks are left holding the bag again. 

I was actually hoping that the season finale would clear up the entire "Carver" storyline since the Escobar storyline from Season 1 was tied up nicely in that season's finale, but once again, they threw a major curveball with the final scene.  So even though we know the nature of particular characters which I won't spoil for those who haven't seen it, we still don't know who the Carver is.  Irritating in one way, but it keeps my anticipation for next season going, which I guess is the point.

I have my own theory on who the Carver is, and it's kind of out there. I won't go into it here, as I can't find a font color that is difficult for people to see without highlighting and there doesn't seem to be a spoiler tag for highlighting/obscuring.  I don't want to spoil anyone on my theory, so if you want to PM me and discuss it, feel free to do so. :)

Cool to know that another SW fan is watching!
« Last Edit: October 6, 2004, 03:14 PM by DoctorPadawan »

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #2 on: October 6, 2004, 06:03 PM »
I watch it religiously as well.  It's one of the best things on TV.  But man... was that finale full of curve balls!  Poor Dr. Troy... why does he end up being everybody's punching bag?  I hope he's back next season... I got a vibe off that Atlanta doctor who fixed Dr. McNamara's face that maybe he was joining the cast... "unless you guys offer me a job..."  Maybe he's gonna be Dr. Troy's replacement.  Hopefully not... but Julian McMahon did get cast as Dr. Doom in the new Fantastic Four movie, so he could be moving to the big screen.  So who knows.  He's the whole reason to watch the show.  Well, him and all the naked women.

As for the identity of the Carver, I hope he's not connected with the Docs in any way.  The Carver was introduced to the Docs because they decided to fix his work.  So having some grand circle where he was their roommate in college or a victim one of their medical errors would be too much of a conincidence.  I could see his alter-ego making contact AFTER the carvings started, but not before.  I hope the show doesn't resort to some tired gimmick for his identity.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2005, 12:00 PM »
I'm bumping this thread back from the netherworld in anticipation of tomorrow's season premiere, the wait for which has been grueling.

I recently saw on the TV Guide channel that both Jessalyn Gilsig (who plays Gina, the sexually addicted, HIV-positive mother of Christian's "son" Wilbur/Gabriel) and Bruno Campos, who played the Atlanta plastic surgeon Quentin Costa, are now official full-time cast members, so I anticipate that both of them will have a lot more screentime this season than last.

The big question is just who is the Carver, and what is the extent of what he did to Christian in the season finale?  I'm very much looking forward to finding out the answers to these questions.

"Beauty is a curse on the world.  It keeps us from seeing the real monsters."

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2005, 12:12 PM »
I'm pumped for tonights season premire. I have a huge theorey on who the Carver is.

Kevin

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2005, 12:29 PM »
I've been saying for a long time that I should be watching this show. Do you think I can watch the premier and still know what's going on, or should I get the past seasons and watch them in order?
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2005, 01:45 PM »
I've been saying for a long time that I should be watching this show. Do you think I can watch the premier and still know what's going on, or should I get the past seasons and watch them in order?

I'm sure we'll get a "Previously on nip/tuck" opening montage.

I'd pick up the DVD's for sure, though.

Kevin

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2005, 02:02 PM »
I can't wait to see it either.  I missed a bunch of last season's episodes, but I think I have a pretty good grasp on what's going on.  Even from the little bit I've seen, I have an idea who the carver is (thought it was Sean until he got attacked)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Commander Cody

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2005, 02:32 PM »
I need to catch up on this show. I missed the first few seasons. :(

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 19, 2005, 03:24 PM »
Do you think I can watch the premier and still know what's going on, or should I get the past seasons and watch them in order?

Well, to a certain extent you could probably jump right in, but a lot of the conflicts and characters' personalities are due to things that happened in the first two seasons (Julia and Sean, in particular), and the Season 2 finale has a huge cliffhanger that will probably be the crux of Season 3 overall (e.g. The Carver's identity). 

A friend of mine said she saw Best Buy was selling a two-pack of both Season 1 and 2 DVD sets together, but she didn't say how much they were charging.  All I will say is this: I have yet to meet someone who watched the show more than once who wasn't completely hooked on it after the third episode.

Plus if you don't see Season 2, you'll miss out on what has to be the greatest euphemism for sexual intercourse ever (Christian refers to giving someone a "Slippendicktomy").

:D

So, who do you guys think the Carver is?  I started out with one theory (which I told Famine in a PM months ago) but after rewatching Season 2 on DVD, I'm leaning toward another theory.  I don't know if it would be safe to go into detail in this thread, though, as so many people haven't seen it yet.

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2005, 05:10 PM »
I prefer Rescue Me (best TV show EVAR!!1!!!), but now that their season is over I'm looking forward to N/T being on again.

I picked up on N/T somewhere in Season 1, and I've watched RM pretty religiously since Day 1.
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2005, 09:57 PM »
I really can't wait for the next season to start up!  One more day!  It'll be interesting to see what happened to Dr. Troy.  He's obviously still in the series, at least in the beginning, based on the previews.  I'm just hoping he's not dead and they're doing some ghost thing.  I'm pulling for a near-death experience/ vision thing.  They've done trippy episodes like that in the past.

As much as I like McNamara, the show wouldn't be the same without Troy.

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2005, 11:41 AM »
Tonight is the night...and the next 16 or so Tuesdays will be my most looked forward to television night of the year.  ;D

As much as I like McNamara, the show wouldn't be the same without Troy.

I honestly think the show would collapse without both of them.  Part of what makes it so interesting as a character study piece to me is the interaction/contradiction between the two of them.  What makes it really interesting is how the surface traits of each (McNamara's familial and ethical concerns and Troy's oversexed narcissism) are each abundantly present in the other on a less obvious level.  In Christian's case, the familial concerns have definitely come to the forefront since Wilbur's birth and the occurrences of last season with the McNamara family.

I'm fairly certain that both Dylan Walsh and Julian McMahon are both contracted for the entire season, so I don't think we will have to worry about a mid-season departure from either of them.  And with practically all of the supporting cast and regular guest stars coming back this season, I don't see a drop-off in quality, at least from the acting side of things, happening any time soon (I hope).

Semi-related is that I saw an ad for a show on TNT called "Wanted" that had the guy who played Escobar in Season 1 (and the Season 2 finale) as one of the criminals.  Poor guy is typecast for life with all those tattoos. :)

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2005, 01:27 PM »
I'm sure he doesn't mind.  He's making his money.  I saw him in another show recently, too.  Maybe the Shield?  Actually, it was the promos for Blind Justice.  Looking at his IMDB page, he's been in just about every cop show on TV.   ;D

"Wanted" 
"Blind Justice"
"Judging Amy"
"Nip/Tuck"
"Cold Case"
"NYPD Blue"
"Boomtown"
"Fastlane"
"The Shield"
"V.I.P."   ;)
"UC: Undercover"
"The Lone Gunmen"
"18 Wheels of Justice"
"Nash Bridges"
"The X Files"
"Martial Law"
"Murder One"
"The Sentinel"
"Renegade"
"Law & Order"

Yeah, he's riding that type casting all the way to the bank.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2005, 11:38 PM »
Wow. Dr. Christian Troy is BACK baby! ;D

Kevin