Author Topic: Can I Buy A Consonant  (Read 5034 times)

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: Can I Buy A Consonant
« Reply #15 on: October 8, 2004, 03:13 PM »
She needs shot.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #16 on: October 8, 2004, 03:54 PM »

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
By RON HARRIS, Associated Press Writer

SAN FRANCISCO - The artist who misspelled the names of famous people in world history on a large ceramic mosaic outside Livermore's new library can spell one word with ease: N-O. That's Maria Alquilar's new position on fixing the typos.

She had planned to fly to California and put the missing "n" back in Einstein and remove the extra "a" in Michelangelo, among other fixes. But after receiving a barrage of what she called "vile hate mail," Alquilar said Livermore is off her travel itinerary and there'll be no changes by her artistic hand.

"No, I will not return to Livermore for any reason," Alquilar, of Miami, told The Associated Press in an e-mail. "There seems to be so much hatred within certain people. They continuously look for a scapegoat. I guess I am the sacrificial goat."

She previously told officials in Livermore, about 40 miles east of San Francisco, that she would fix the 11 misspellings. She asked for $6,000 plus travel expenses to correct the work they paid her $40,000 to create. The city council, faced with the embarrassing prospect of leaving the typo-strewn work in front of its spanking new library, voted 3-2 to approve the expenditure.

Now it appears the fix is a no go.

Livermore Mayor Marshall Kamena and Councilwoman Lorraine Dietrich did not return calls seeking comment on what their next move would be.

Alquilar explained that it took her a lot of time and money to create the work, a brightly colored 16-foot-wide circle made up of individual tiles depicting the names and images of famous people in world history.

She noted that plenty of people from the city were on hand during the installation who could and should have seen the errant spellings, she said.

"Even though I was on my hands and knees laying the installation out, I didn't see it," she said.

The mistakes wouldn't even register with a true artisan, Alquilar said before deciding to leave the work as is.

"The people that are into humanities, and are into Blake's concept of enlightenment, they are not looking at the words," she told The AP.

When asked whether she chose the words and names for the work or whether the city provided her with a list, Alquilar took an artistic stance in response.

"The art chose the words," she said.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
« Last Edit: October 8, 2004, 04:00 PM by OCB »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #17 on: October 8, 2004, 04:12 PM »
I say sue that smarmy snot. 

She was paid to do a job, and do it right.  She wasn't paid to be a buffoon.  She should probably look into that line of work considering she's already mastered that art.  Spelling's certainly nothing she should aim for though, or artistry...  Her work is tacky anyway IMO.

She wasn't paid to half-ass that.  Let her finish that job, and at her own expense.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #18 on: October 8, 2004, 04:14 PM »
"The art chose the words," she said.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

::)

She wasn't paid to half-ass that. Let her finish that job, and at her own expense.

Agreed.
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 8, 2004, 04:16 PM »
Tell Livermore what...I'll come with a hammer,  chissle, and a couple of red refridgerator magnets, and some paint, and I'll repair the damned thing for free.

Jesus.

Kevin

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 8, 2004, 04:39 PM »
I say sue that smarmy snot. 

She was paid to do a job, and do it right.  She wasn't paid to be a buffoon.  She should probably look into that line of work considering she's already mastered that art.  Spelling's certainly nothing she should aim for though, or artistry...  Her work is tacky anyway IMO.

She wasn't paid to half-ass that.  Let her finish that job, and at her own expense.

That's what should happen, but won't. 

Being around places that grant money, for things other than art, I've seen people turn it absolute **** for work and still get paid 80%, which is what they are paid up front.  They don't get the last 20% but I've seen people take $12000 for a pile of crud we never look at again and a high school student could have done a better job of in about 2 days.  Very, very sad. 

The woman is a social parasite and one reason I have a hard time with the arts.  I know my stance is not beneficial in many respects, but some of these people need a serious swat upside the head.  This is a prime example. 

The art is an idiot that can't spell.  Send it to school.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #21 on: October 8, 2004, 05:31 PM »
That woman, that art, and whoever the **** hired her, are all, in the words of a true Eisten, disgraces to lifes.

SilverZ

« Reply #22 on: October 8, 2004, 06:30 PM »

Hang on, I've been to Stratford-upon-Avon, and seen Shakespeare's monument in the Holy Trinity Church, and I didn't get the impression he was a spitting image of Socrates, as depicted in "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure".

William Shakespeare

Socrates

Idiot
« Last Edit: October 8, 2004, 06:32 PM by Tydirium »

Offline BigDumbWookiee

• Jedi Apprentice
  • It comes in pints?! I'm getting one.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 9, 2004, 02:42 PM »
Spelling aside, why aren't they complaining that Shakespeare is depicted as a man-dog?
"Of all the things to worry about, the wookiee has no pants..."

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #24 on: October 9, 2004, 05:30 PM »
Oh, I thought he was swimming through leaves or something. You're right, his body looks like a dog without a tail... and he's wearing a saddle...

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2004, 12:58 PM »
Looks like our favorite frustrated artist will correct her mistakes, afterall.... uh, in principal. I'm betting she changes her mind a couple more times.

Offline General Grievous

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2004, 03:08 PM »

dumbass

40 thou for this piece of ****. I need to become an artist.

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2004, 11:15 PM »
You know, there is a difference between losing track and missing a letter and plain not caring enough to make sure you are spelling the names correctly.
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2004, 11:26 PM »
You said it sister. I'd do it for free if she says no.

Kevin

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 17, 2004, 12:30 AM »
The art is an idiot that can't spell.  Send it to school.

;D