Author Topic: Welcome to the new JD Sports Forum!  (Read 5625 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Welcome to the new JD Sports Forum!
« on: October 13, 2004, 12:38 PM »
UPDATE:  It has finally arrived...   8)

-------------------------

So, we've been debating this internally for about a year now and I would like to get some thoughts from the members on having a separate Sports Forum like they have at other forums.

With the advent of the JD fantasy leagues Watto's has been overrun with more and more sports talk.  This would keep it all in one spot sort of like the Other Toy Section did

The downside that has been brought up is why not then have a music, movie etc etc etc section

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2005, 03:49 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: JediDefender Sports Forum?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 12:47 PM »
I think the fantasy leagues are the reason for a separate forum.  General sports talk, like the generic NBA/NFL threads aren't as busy, so alone they would fit well in Watto's without much detrimental impact on the more general topics. 

Music/DVD's are only a couple of threads, busy, but not turning over pages quite so quickly as the draft threads.   They also lend themselves to a variety of views - you may not like a movie posted in a thread, but there are other movies.  Sports are a bit contentious in some respects, some people simply don't like them.  They won't participate in those threads.  Not so with music or movies, there's always variety. 

If it is a new section, it will likely be rather limited in the number of topics - about 8 or so, 2 for each league (presuming hockey ever resumes ::)). 

I think because of limited participation - maybe 20 members out of nearly 1000, sports should probably have its own section.  Movies/music should remain in Watto's due to their broad interest level. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 02:08 PM »
So, we've been debating this internally for about a year now and I would like to get some thoughts from the members on having a separate Sports Forum like they have at other forums.

This has been my personal crusade behind the scenes here for about a year and a half now (well before "anyone else" had Sports Forums, mind you), but my idea has unfortunately never gotten the green light.  I think it's a great idea to segregate the sports discussion for a couple of reasons:

1)  The various Sports threads will be easier to find for the sports fanatics, likely boosting their activity even more, which in turn may lead to some positive word of mouth and help our sports board become a little more popular around the net (ala the Kubricks threads here, for example).

2)  It would alleviate the sports-heavy discussion and threads in the Watto's (general) forum, and allow some other (non-sports) threads to be bumped up a little in there, likely making some of the other general discussion a little more active.

Plus, there's some folks that just aren't sports fans, and wouldn't mind having the sports threads isolated elsewhere.

And I've already gone through the Watto's archives in a test run where I created a beta sports forum, and we'd probably wind up moving over a good 50+ sports threads into a new Sports Forum if it was created.  Granted, there's usually only a handful of them that are really active at any one time.

So I think a JD Sports Forum is a great idea, and one that's LONG overdue here.

P.S.  As for various "Entertainment" topics (music, movies, etc.), screw that.  Everyone discusses those, so they're just "general", and don't need their own board.  Sports is the only topic continuously busy enough in and of itself to warrant it's own board.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 02:10 PM by JediMAC »

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 02:27 PM »
It gets my vote.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 03:09 PM »

This has been my personal crusade behind the scenes here for about a year and a half now (well before "anyone else" had Sports Forums, mind you), but my idea has unfortunately never gotten the green light.  I think it's a great idea to segregate the sports discussion for a couple of reasons:

1)  The various Sports threads will be easier to find for the sports fanatics, likely boosting their activity even more, which in turn may lead to some positive word of mouth and help our sports board become a little more popular around the net (ala the Kubricks threads here, for example).

2)  It would alleviate the sports-heavy discussion and threads in the Watto's (general) forum, and allow some other (non-sports) threads to be bumped up a little in there, likely making some of the other general discussion a little more active.

Plus, there's some folks that just aren't sports fans, and wouldn't mind having the sports threads isolated elsewhere.

And I've already gone through the Watto's archives in a test run where I created a beta sports forum, and we'd probably wind up moving over a good 50+ sports threads into a new Sports Forum if it was created.  Granted, there's usually only a handful of them that are really active at any one time.

So I think a JD Sports Forum is a great idea, and one that's LONG overdue here.

P.S.  As for various "Entertainment" topics (music, movies, etc.), screw that.  Everyone discusses those, so they're just "general", and don't need their own board.  Sports is the only topic continuously busy enough in and of itself to warrant it's own board.

In spite of the fact that Matt just stated almost precisely what I said (aside from the personal crusade crap) I would like to point out that no, I am not in fact a sock puppet of his. :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 03:40 PM »
I would like to point out that no, I am not in fact a sock puppet of his. :-*

'Cause that would mean that he'd have his hand up your ass at all times, and that aint right. :-X

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 08:39 PM »
Definitely sounds like a good idea to me, due to the aforementioned reasons.  So let's see it!   8)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2004, 09:11 AM »
Sounds like a good idea to me as well :), same reasons.

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2004, 05:19 PM »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2004, 05:22 PM »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2004, 06:23 PM »
This has been my personal crusade behind the scenes here for about a year and a half now (well before "anyone else" had Sports Forums, mind you), but my idea has unfortunately never gotten the green light.

Like I said...

And now you see why.   ;)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Welcome to the new JD Sports Forum!
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 03:51 PM »
And so it shall be.    8)

Thanks Chris!  Sorry for the years of harrassment on the issue...   ;)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Welcome to the new JD Sports Forum!
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 03:53 PM »
I guess "no" didn't mean never!

Looking forward to some more consistent sports chatter in here...

:)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender