Author Topic: do "friends always give you stupid star wars "gifts"?  (Read 1326 times)

Offline stormtripper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
do "friends always give you stupid star wars "gifts"?
« on: October 13, 2004, 08:01 PM »
I always get dumb things like monkey leia, incomplete puzzels, cereal pack-ins, fast food items (never complete ;D) that  friends have found at garage sales for .10

I try and be polite but I want to stab them in the eye with their crap ;D

I am not ungrateful but just because it says star wars doesn't mean that I need it. Of course if they stopped buying stuff I would totally be offended :P

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: do "friends always give you stupid star wars "gifts"?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2004, 08:13 PM »
My friends and family know better than to get me any star wars anything without asking me if it's something I'm looking for - with the execption of my mom who will occasionally put the assorted crappy episode I t-shirt in a stocking as a extra because she found it on clearance for .99 or something like that.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 08:59 PM »
My aunt has given me many vintage Star Wars figures over the years. Some are common ones, but she did give me a Biker Scout and Blue Snaggletooth in September.

For free, I might add.
I also got some Galoob Star Trek: TNG figures, and I'm amazed at how much they suck.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 09:05 PM »
I got a really crappy Ep1 C-3PO watch one year from my mom. She thought it was cute, but she should have known better, so I had her give me the receipt, I returned it and got the money back and bought figures.

I got a broken Star Destroyer Xmas ornament one time from someone at work, the thing was beat up like no one's business, yet the guy thought I'd want it. He did turn around though and gave me a neat Vader poster a few weeks later, so it all worked out.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 09:26 PM »
I collect Jurassic Park before Star Wars, always.

People give me the stupidest ****. Some one gave me a finger puppet, that was a dinosaur, the kind you get from a vending machine, and thought it was a rare Jurassic Park item. People give me wind up roaring Godzillas and such. One time some one gave me a sparking Dinosaur toy. I contemplated opening their gas cap, winding the thing up and letting it go down.

Stupid Star Wars ****:

X-Wing with no Wings.

Figures with no heads.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Mister Skeezler

• Jedi Knight
  • Now with winning smile!
    • View Profile
    • misterskeezler on Instagram
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 10:37 AM »
My mom tried her best to pick me up some Star Wars figures last Christmas. She was able to find the CW Assaj and Mace Windu (which I never saw in stores), but then I opened the other figures and discovered that I was now the shameful owner of a set of "force flippers" and "Jango with snap-on armor". The worst thing is that some collector told her to pick them up, probably to clear the pegs.

I guess I'll use them for custom fodder, but the hard part is pretending like it was a cool gift. Now I send her direct links to GH images of figures I want.
-------------------------------------------------
(Formerly LandotheScoundrel)

misterskeezler on Instagram

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Do "friends always give you stupid star wars "gifts"?
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2004, 03:56 PM »
Friends, no.  But family, yes.  But they've curtailed it immensely since I had to keep telling them "I've already got that"...  So now I'll give them a short, specific list of easy to find stuff, like the Hallmark ornaments.  I do have an aunt-in-law who still dumps anything and everything Star Wars she can find on me.  It's hit and miss though.  She's gotten into eBay over the past few years, and scored me a pretty cool lot of vintage SW necklaces a couple years ago - ya' know the ones with R2, 3PO, Vader, Stormie, etc...  Those were pretty neat.  Lotta dumb crap though too.

My dad actually surprised me a few years back at Christmas with a huge box of the Taco Bell/Pizza Hut/KFC cup toppers from Ep. 1.  Complete set, MISB, that he went from store to store over a few months and actually collected.  That surprised the **** out of me, since he's never given me anything SW (in my adulthood anyway), and has never shown much of a fondness for my SW addiction.  Very cool moment seeing him trying to "reach out" like that...   :)

Out of all of my friends, there's really only one who knows about "my hobby", and every now and then when he comes down to visit, he'll bring me something SW related - sometimes goofy, sometimes cool.

The Mrs. brings me lots of (good) stuff all the time though, since she's pretty down with my current "needs".   8)