Author Topic: Zen and the Art of Competitive Eating  (Read 4953 times)

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Zen and the Art of Competitive Eating
« on: October 18, 2004, 05:05 PM »
I saw this program on A&E (I think) the other night about competitive eating (I believe it was called Zen and the Art of Competitive Eating). Basically it just followed this one guy and his attempts at getting into the "circuit" of competitive eating. It was pretty fascinating, really. The guy would see an eating contest, then try it at home. He'd make a science out of it by attempting different methods and such. His attempts at butter were almost nauseating.  :P He went on to actually win an oyster-eating contest, and became a member of the IFOCE (International Federation of Competitive Eating). Yes, really.

Anyway, the next day I visited the IFOCE website, and took a gander at all the eating records. Some are pretty astounding, but others are questionable. Most of us know about the hot dog eating record of 53 1/2 in 12 minutes, and there is also a record for Matzo Balls (21 baseball-sized in 5 min., 25 sec.) and Turducken (7 3/4 pounds in 12 minutes), but the record for corn dogs is only 12 in 10 min., and there's a record for 2 pounds of candy bars in 6 minutes, but what type of candy bar?--surely that makes a difference.

Other records:
7 quarter-pound sticks of butter in 5 min. yuck!
11 pounds of cheesecake in 9 min.
49 glazed donuts in 8 min. (what type of donuts?)
65 hard-boiled eggs in 6 min., 40 sec.
1 gallon, 9 ounces of vanilla ice cream in 12 min.

There's also a couple records that are beyond disgusting, including:

4 32-ounce bowls of mayonnaise in 8 min. double yuck!
6 pounds of SPAM from the can in 12 min.
and 17.7 pounds of cow brains in 15 min. Ugh!

I've never tried or even thought of eating something for a record (or even a t-shirt), but I have been know to be able to put away my share of certain items (especially for a tall, skinny person). Personally, I think that corn dog record is weak and reachable, but I'm not about to try. A cookie or brownie record is mysteriously absent from the list. Takers?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Zen and the Art of Competitive Eating
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 05:19 PM »
When I was younger we used to have eating and drinking contests in the school cafeteria which would carry over to home every now and then when a friend would come visit.  I remember quite vividly the taco record was 5 for a long, long time.  I don't think I remember anyone getting to 6.  Things like 3 pieces of pizza and 21 of those little Orange Juice boxes were all school records that were held in the same esteem as the 300 yard dash and long jump records

I can also remember taking a bet on if I could drink a gallon of milk in an hour one time in high school.  I don't think I did it because a gallon is a lot of damn liquid and my stomach and bladder were only so big

That corn dog record does seem reachable...I always get a kick out that Japanese dude and his hot dog eating prowess, he kicks the fat guys butts year after year, its amazing to see him put it all away and not barf

Offline hansolo_506

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 05:53 PM »
A long time friend of mine held the world record for eating gherkins (small pickles).  He and this guy in England would keep going back and forth holding the title, until the guy over in England gave up.  Then Rex held the title for a lot of years until he realized he may want to actually lead a life. LOL.
Don't curse in your signature.

-c.berry

Offline C

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 05:58 PM »
Personally, I think that corn dog record is weak and reachable, but I'm not about to try.

that corn dog count is so low because you have to eat the stick as well.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 09:06 PM »
LMAO and Crap.

I know I could punch down that corndog record in to time flat.

Anyone up for a wing eating contest at C3?

Any takers?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 09:31 PM »
I did this with my friend towards the beging of the year this year, if I recall, I beat her in the drinking contest, but she won the French Fry contest, 5-4. One day I shall have revenge....
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline stormie

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 10:30 AM »
I always get a kick out that Japanese dude and his hot dog eating prowess, he kicks the fat guys butts year after year, its amazing to see him put it all away and not barf

According to the IFOCE, he's ranked #1 in the world, but at #2 is this petite woman that currently holds like 20 or something eating records. It's weird, but it seems like some of the best competitive eaters are small and skinny. Where does it all go? Well, I know where it eventually goes, but how much capacity can a stomach have?

I'm still trying not to think about the butter and mayonnaise records. Ugh! :-X

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 11:26 AM »
I agree that some of those records are obtainable.  The shrimp record IMO is definitely within my grasp.  I once put away 5 pounds of shrimp coctail a few years back on a bet.  Of course I was given a full hour to do so. 

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 12:51 PM »
Who paid for the shrimp??

Kevin

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 01:31 PM »
How about Denny's whopping 6 lb. burger!  :o

That's no whopper - you can actually get this meat monster for $23.95, load with all the "fixins"...

Two whole tomatoes.
A half-head of lettuce.
12 slices of American cheese.
A full cup of peppers.
Two entire onions .
Plus, a river a mayonnaise, ketchup, and mustard.

Denny's Beer Barrel Pub is renown for its 6 lb. burgers.  National and local newspapers have reviewed the burger and its main appeal seems to be...

NO ONE HAS FINISHED IT!!

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 05:36 PM »
 :o

About how long does that bastard take to cook?!

That is one big burger.

Kevin

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 06:13 PM »
Who paid for the shrimp??

Kevin

I did, but was fully reimbursed once I put it away. 

Offline JoshEEE

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
    • My Star Wars collection
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 06:15 PM »
Fatburger (I think it's a west coast chain) has what they call the Triple King Challenge.

Three 1/3 lb. patties, cheese, bacon, an egg, chili plus lettuce, onions, pickles, tomatos and relish. Anyone who can beat their target time of 12 minutes and so many seconds gets a T-shirt and their name on the wall. If you beat the top time, you get other prizes.

I went with 2 friends to partake in this challenge. The record at the time for eating it was 4 minutes and 20 some seconds.

One of my buddies did it in just over 6 minutes. For doing so, he received a T-shirt, and will get his picture on the wall.

My other friend proclaimed his was burnt, and abstained from finishing it after getting only half way through.

I worked on mine, and at 10 minutes in, I had only the little pile of pickles left. I  had forgotten to substitute the pickles for something else, and I absolutely hate them. Ordinarily, I might close my eyes, and Fear Factor the things down.....but I was SO full that I figured I'd hurl if I did. Even the smell of them was bugging me after speed eating that monstrocity.

So I did not officially finish the burger. Can you believe that?
Got Clones?

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2004, 06:18 PM »
We actually have this restaurant near us that has unabeliveable Prime Rib.  They have this one monstrous portion where if you put the whole thing away by yourself they treat you to your next one free. Kind of like the Great Outdoors with John Candy. Except this place is a higher scale place.  

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2004, 06:25 PM »
Oh, and I don't know how I managed to miss this in the first post, I went to New York this 4th of July and saw the Hot Dog eating contest at Nathans. And let me tell you, Connie Island sucks (and smells)
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -