Author Topic: Anyone been to Hawaii?  (Read 4590 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Anyone been to Hawaii?
« on: October 20, 2004, 10:49 PM »
We're likely going, so I'm looking for suggestions.  I've been before, but always like to hear what other people have done or enjoyed doing. 

Most likely we will go to Maui.  Oahu/Honolulu seem a bit to city-ish and crowded for what we are after.  I know you can get away and I'd really like to spend some (more) time at Pearl Harbor, but with a 4 year old it's probably not going to be really interesting for her.  We'll do it later once she's in school and taking history classes and such. 

So, give me your thoughts please.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone been to Hawaii?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2004, 11:03 PM »
I went to Maui for 3 or 4 days last summer. I forget which hotel we stayed at, though it had a giant pool, and had a direct path to the beach. The best thing to do while your there is snorkeling, it's an activity your whole family can enjoy. It's kinda pricy though, depending on where you go.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2004, 11:07 PM »
Raises Hand, we went on our Honeymoon

We stayed in Oahu/Waikiki

I've been told you should go to Hawaii at least twice and maybe thrice

We did all of the touristy stuff on Oahu...Pearl Harbor, walked the beach, went snorkling, took a tour around the island, watched surfing, took a dinner cruise, went to the Pineapple Plantation (raise your hand if you knew pineapples grow on the ground), didn't leave our hotel much at night :winkwinknundgenudge:

We also went to the Big Island and took a whirlwind tour in a day.  Saw the lava flows and went through Volcano National Park, went to the nut plantation, saw some of the new resorts etc

Next time we go we are going to go to Maui and spend the time relaxing, it truly is paradise, perfect weather, beautiful scenery and a wonderful weird melting pot of culture (the natives, American, SE Asian and Japanese)  

I can't recommend it enough

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2004, 11:16 PM »
I've been to Hawaii, but it was back in the 80's.  Still it was incredibly memorable.  While I was there, I spent a week on Oahu and a week on Maui.  Oahu is definitely very urban.  There are some great beaches like Waikiki and Hanauma Bay, but Honolulu dominates the island.  If you're a surfer there are some great surfing beaches near Hanauma Bay and along the North Shore, but you have to know what you're doing or else you're gonna die.  Seriously, you could die.  There's also the Polynesion Clutural Center which was a cool way to spend a day.  The coolest thing I did was take a glider ride at an airport near Hickam Field, and old Army air base.  As for the historical aspect, for our family, it was good to go there.  I have an uncle who was in the Army during the attack on Pearl Harbor and we visited the Army barracks where he was stationed.  Since then I've learned a lot about the day, but that's between me and my uncle.

Maui was simply put, paradise.  It's incredibly beautiful.  The water is crystal clear, and you can even dive down to volcanic rock if you're a couple hundred feet offshore.  That's just incredible.

If I was going to go, I'd want to check out the big island and Kauaii.  Those are apparently among the best.  There's so much to do on the big island.  And if you go there, you can get me some Kona coffee, LOL!

A friend of mine went to Kauaii with his wife.  It's one of the less traveled to islands, so it's pristine and beautiful.  It's also got what some call the "Grand Canyon of the Pacific".  I hear flying over this thing on a helicopter ride is awesome.

As for some of the smaller islands, Molokai isn't traveled to all that often.  But then there's also the Leper colony there.

Lanai is among the smallest islands, and there really isn't much there.  Although there is probably one of the most exclusive and probably equally expensive resorts in Hawaii on Lanai.

I think you can skip Oahu unless you're want to check it out for a couple of days.  Maui is awesome, but seriously consider the Big Island and Kauaii.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2004, 11:24 PM by Nicklab »
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 02:41 AM »
Went to Maui this past summer, Kauai 3 years ago.

Kauai is more intimate and laidback, less touched by development. Half of Maui is definitely suburban-ish; only the setting is tropical. Go to Yahoo Maps and plot the eateries in Maui and you'll see what I mean: Outback steakhouses, Ruth's Chris; Burger King; Krispy Kreme Donuts. Fortunately, there's a Walmart on both islands for your toy hunting childcare needs.   ;)

For the natural scenery, I prefer K over M.  If you've ever been to the Grand Canyon, you'll get the same feeling looking at the Waimea Canyon. But both have an abundance of wonders.

Maui is probably more geared for the family vacation. While it has the rep of being more costly than the other islands, buying in bulk at Costco will mitigate that.   ;D

Get a copy of Maui Revealed if you decide on Maui.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 08:09 AM »
Went to Hawaii for 10+ days for our honeymoon two years ago.  Spent three days on Oahu and four days each on Maui and Hawaii, the Big Island.  Oahu was too over crowded for my liking, but it was pretty cool to see Diamond Head on Waikiki.  Did a day trip to the Polynesian Culture Center.  Pretty cool place and it got us a chance to see the rest of the island on the drive there.

Did a helicopter ride over the volcano on the Big Island.  Seeing lava flow into the ocean was awesome.  Really not much to do on that island if your a fan of night life but it was relaxing.

Maui was my favorite and if I go back, I'm flying straight there.  Stayed at the Royal Lahana Resort, right on the ocean.  Happy hour was every day at 4:30 and we got to watch the sun set behind one of the other islands.  Went snorkeling at Molokini Crater, supposedly the number 2 dive site in the world.  A whole new world underneath the ocean.

They say you haven't been to Maui unless you drive the Hana Highway.  61 one lane bridges and 530+ hair pin turns  :o  We did it, my wife was happy and I was a little nervous.  She's saying "Oh, look at the waterfall"  I'm like "Look at that ******* truck coming right at us"  Got to Hana and beyond and walked to the top of a 400 foot waterfall and then back down to the Seven Pools. 

Definitely a beautiful place and would go back in a heart beat.

Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 2, 2004, 02:01 PM »
Just wanted to bump this up and say thanks for the responses.  When I initially posted it, we were deciding where to go and what to do. 

We're going (back) to Maui and staying in the same condo as before, it's not great, but it's all we need.  Across the street from Kamaole Beach III, which is the smallest/shortest of the three, but it's got a nice coral/lava natural water break that makes the water much calmer, perfect for a 4.5 year old not great swimmer. 

It's -24 C here right now and it's snowed (not constantly) for two days with more forecast for tonight.  We board a plane tomorrow morning at 7:30 for Minneapolis, then on to Seatlle and finally Maui, getting in at 7:30ish local time.  Forecast highs for the weekend are 29 C.  Not bad, nearly 50 C temperature swing.

So, for those of you in Minnesota, come see me at the airport tomorrow between 9 and 11 am. 

For those of you that call me old, well  :P and I guess this is a perk of age.  Neener, neener, neener. 

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #7 on: December 2, 2004, 02:03 PM »
I thought about coming to see you but then remembered that you can't get in the terminal without a boarding pass, sorry

Have a great trip though and enjoy the paradise :)

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 2, 2004, 02:21 PM »
Have a great trip Brent & don't forget to pack a warm jacket for the return.  ;) 

I can picture Brent returning at the airport like John Candy in Cool Runnings!

Enjoy the warmth! 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 2, 2004, 02:56 PM »
It sounds like you picked the perfect time to escape the weather.  Have a blast, and hope you get lei'd.   ;D

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 2, 2004, 09:55 PM »
I thought about coming to see you but then remembered that you can't get in the terminal without a boarding pass, sorry

Yeah, that all changed after 9/11 eh? 

I remember flying into Minneapolis and being utterly amazed that everyone could just walk right up to the gate.  Couldn't get on the plane, but pretty close.  Never been like that here.  I also recall the merchants being pretty ticked about the restrictions (I flew through on my way to San Diego in December of '01)  Too bad, would have been cool to meet in person. 

I mailed out all my packages today, everyone's except Famine's.  Didn't have the address in time.  Sorry Kev.  Scott and Jim also have to wait until after I get back. 

I know there's a Walmart, Costco and K-mart on Maui, but don't recall a Target :'(  Will do a little hunting nonetheless.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 3, 2004, 08:02 AM »

I know there's a Walmart, Costco and K-mart on Maui, but don't recall a Target :'(  Will do a little hunting nonetheless.

I didn't see a Target when I was there and good luck at the Wal-Mart.  It had ****.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 3, 2004, 05:32 PM »
Brent, enjoy!  A friend of mine just got back from his honeymoon on Maui, and he said that the Road to Hana is something you shouldn't pass up.  Also, try to take the ride up to the top of Haleakala.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #13 on: December 4, 2004, 04:22 PM »
I went to Hawaii for 3 weeks with my girlfriend, the summer after 10th grade in 1986 (which my parents schockingly agreed to let me do).  Her parents were renting a beautiful house just off of Waikiki Beach for the summer, so the accomodations were top notch.  Had a blast.  Still one of the best 3 weeks of my life.

In my senile old age though, I can't remember a lot of the touristy types of places she took me to, other than the beach (duh), Ala Moana mall, some REAL windy spot up on a hill (like a wind tunnel cave or sumthin'), and a few other cool spots.

Haven't been back since, but one of my best friends from high school lives there now, and has been asking me to come visit for the last several years (he's in Maui), so we'll probably make our way out their soon enough.

Hope you're having a good time out there Brent!  I wanna see a picture of your TAN ass when you return...   ;)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2004, 09:53 PM »
Aloha,

Lots of fun in Hawaii, no doubt about it.  I’ll post an update, but feel free to ask questions, I’d be more than pleased to answer them. 

12 days on Maui is actually too long, unless you have a ton of cash to spend.  Lots and lots to do, lots of it free, but most of the free stuff you can accomplish in about a week or so.  Then you need to start spending money, serious money.  Helicopter tour of the island, 45 minutes, 3 people - $600!  Zoiks.

Spent most of our time at the beach, playing in the waves (my four year old daughter is fearless) and snorkeling.  Found a new place that we didn’t snorkel at last time, close to a beach (four year olds are not great swimmers) that was awesome.  Swam with turtles on four different days, one that would fit Matt’s sweater even.  It was awesomely huge, probably about 3 feet across, maybe 4 feet long, probably 400 pounds (like I said, like Matt). 

Cruised up Haleakala one day, beautiful weather, could see all the way to the big Island of Hawaii, about 80-100 miles away.  Lots of fun, but long, twisty drive.  Fortunately my daughter survived it this time without yakking.  That was also the reason we didn’t do the road to Hana, as recommended here.  My daughter has (had?) A propensity to be car sick on really twisty roads.  We’ll do it next time.  She also isn’t entirely into the beauty thing just yet (another reason we didn’t cruise over to the big Island - only two beaches there, but spectacular history and scenery).   

Did the Luau, whale cruise, scuba diving, snorkel cruise.  No golfing though, did last time.  A little expensive, but just didn’t golf enough this past summer to justify it.  Maybe next time.  Ate some great food and I’d highly recommend Bubba Gump shrimp if you’re ever over there (or wherever else they have them).  Kind of chain restaurant-ish, but still enjoyable.  Had the Cajun shrimp and Mahi Mahi combo.  Yummy. 

Got the sunburn on the 7th day.  Thought we were going to the beach for about ½ hour, came back in 5 hours later.  Oops, forgot the sunscreen.  It’s cool though, weather here sucked so much this past summer it’s the first opportunity I’ve had for a while.

Great place to go, no doubt about it.  Toys were pretty limited.  K-mart would have been great, had Matt not already sent up the screen scenes.  Also had the OTC generals wave and a couple of bad (Lando) VOTC.  Had 12" figures as well, so pretty neat.  Saw remnants of the Scorpion wave at a couple of places, but came home without.  At least now I’ve seen the wave and know what to look for.  Walmart was ok, not so bad as Mikey’s experience.  There was some limited star wars stuff, OTC and VOTC and on the last day they had the post-OTC wave on the pegs, about three cases worth.  Naturally I already have these on the way (thanks Mikey) so didn’t bother with them.  Missed out on a case of NFL10 but just a little bit too - would have been nice as Canadian cases have no retros in them.  There’s still a KB in the big mall in Kahului so I had to check that out to.  Like the other KB’s stateside, they’re getting in the wave with Ephant Mon.  I happened upon three, bought two for a grand total of $4.97.  So I did find toys in paradise, just not much.  I think if you lived in Kahului you could do ok.  KB even had NHL Legends in stock and only 7 on the pegs. 

It sucks to be back; it’s cold and slippery.  Looks a lot more like Christmas for sure, but I could live without the snow.  Really.