Author Topic: Toy Runs affected by Gas Prices?  (Read 14620 times)

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
Re: Toy Runs affected by Gas Prices?
« Reply #45 on: September 8, 2005, 10:42 AM »
Even if you may have to move, there is almost always great financial incentive to buy a house vs. renting someplace.  Every time you send in a rent check, you've pissed it down the drain - every time I pay my mortgage, it's like putting a bunch of money into savings.  When I sell, I get an awful lot of it back.

Meanwhile, property values (If you pick your spot carefully) almost always go up.

They are currently building a very large restaraunt/retail/loft/movie theater type complex across the street from my loft.  I expect to make roughly a $75,000-$80,000 profit on my place after 3 years total of living in it.

While Phruby is off base suggesting that you will always be poor if you buy multiples of plastic men (I've got thousands and am doing just freaking fine), he was absolutely correct in asserting that you're better off buying a place than renting - even if you end up selling it in a year or two.
« Last Edit: September 8, 2005, 02:55 PM by Kneel Before Zod »

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 8, 2005, 01:32 PM »
well, he wasn't talking to me either since I don't rent OR own-(my housing is free) ::)

Offline Gatillo

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm a llama! So what?!?
    • View Profile
    • Yes, I work on Antarctic bugs!!!
« Reply #47 on: September 8, 2005, 03:08 PM »
I get gassy talking about gas prices. :P
You are never alone when there's a clone.

"Feel don't think"...and she slapped me right after I said it too.

Offline TheBlackDog65

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 8, 2005, 09:18 PM »
Actually, I have always been told that if you sell a house under 4 or 5 years, the amount of ROI is not enough to equal the loss to interest and down payment, and closing costs etc.  Guess I need to research that myself and see if that is true. Having said that, I will say that buying anytime is better then renting because if your in the right location, equity will go up.
"For too long gentleness has been equated with weakness.  Yet it takes more strength to be gentle than to be mean."

John Keeshan

Wants: Saga Wave 3