Author Topic: The Mustafar Playset...  (Read 32029 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: The Mustafar Playset...
« Reply #45 on: February 19, 2005, 11:14 PM »
Mustafar Playset with Obi-Wan Kenobi and Darth Vader action figures

Dave - did you get any indication what those disks are that Obi-Wan and Anakin are standing on? Are the figures FIXED to those disks or are they just stands that are thrown in with the playset?

I was working the event as well.  Dave caught me off-guard being somewhat more clean-shaven than when I saw him earlier in the week.

The Anakin and Obi-Wan figures are NOT attached to the discs.  The discs are actually set pieces from the duel, and elaborating any more would have spoiler implications.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 19, 2005, 11:16 PM »
It was hard to tell, and they had people watching over us like we were criminals or something, so I was afraid to touch anything  :D

I know that feeling, picked up the same vibe almost ten years ago when I went to the Playmates Toys press even to cover their Star Trek line for my own little home-grown Trek website. I can kinda understand it though - all it would take is one jerk to touch something and screw up their display.
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline Muftak

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Cardboard Entrepreneur
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 21, 2005, 09:48 PM »
I've been looking at these pictures and mulling over how I feel about this playset for the past few days...

While it's not jawdropping, or "take your breath away" toymaking, I think it's a worthy successor to the playsets of the Vintage era. I'd even go so far as to say it picks up right where the Ewok Village, Dagobah, and the Imperial Attack Base left off, if not the Death Star itself. Self-contained, a little bit cheesy, full of fun action features.

The two figures who come with it are on the boring side, but it just goes to show Hasbro could've just made this into a standard "vs." pack instead. As it is, it's sort of the ultimate "vs." set...at least they went with this form of dueling figures this time around. I would've hated to see this set ruined by "force-flippers" features.

In the end, this has to be the most looked forward to Star Wars playset of the past twenty years. Had you asked a kid in 1983 what playset they wanted most from the "new" movies, they wouldn't've said the Jedi Council...for that kid in 1983, this set would've been the bee's knees.

To sum up: I like it, in a vintagey way. I may even have to custom up some vintagesque Anakin and Obi-Wan figures for it.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 21, 2005, 10:03 PM »
The discs are actually set pieces from the duel, and elaborating any more would have spoiler implications.

Bring it on! Spoilers are welcome here - it says so in the section header and there is a sticky post warning that there are spoilers here - so spill! Please!
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 21, 2005, 11:13 PM »
Yeah, I'd like to know what the discs are for...

And yeah, I want to buy this... but mainly because there's such a lack of playsets and I'll customize it anyway.

:P

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 22, 2005, 12:42 AM »
Bring it on! Spoilers are welcome here - it says so in the section header and there is a sticky post warning that there are spoilers here - so spill! Please!

Yeah, but some of us are trying to be careful too.  I don't even read the ROTS Movie threads simply because I want to stay away from spoilers.  So if you do post any spoilerish stuff, please warn me so I can scroll through!   :)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 22, 2005, 08:32 AM »
I'm undecided on the playset myself, but I might end up getting it.  I kind of agree with what Muftak said earlier, looks like it could be "fun" in a vintagey sort of way.  I ended up skipping the AOTC arena playset, but this might be our last chance at a decent sized playset (or one at all), so I might just pick it up.  It would actually be the first one in my collection, since I've been putting off trying to pick up the vintage ones until after the prequel stuff dies down.  I will say though, that the Mustafar playset wasn't as spiffy as I was hoping...but, better than nothing I guess.  I'll have to see more pics of it, or see it in person, until I can decide for sure whether I'll pick it up or not.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #52 on: February 22, 2005, 10:40 AM »
Well I've got my baking soda, vinegar, and red dye ready...  I'll make it fun by god!
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 22, 2005, 10:46 AM »
Well I've got my baking soda, vinegar, and red dye ready...  I'll make it fun by god!

That...that was funny. ;D

I wonder what that stupid ball is on top?

Some sort of projectile?

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 22, 2005, 11:25 AM »
Yeah, but some of us are trying to be careful too.  I don't even read the ROTS Movie threads simply because I want to stay away from spoilers.  So if you do post any spoilerish stuff, please warn me so I can scroll through!   :)

Jesse, you're in the wrong section to be avoiding spoilers man!

This place isn't as revealing as the movie thread, but I think back to EPII toys - wow I was bummed by the Zam info - but moreso by the Hanger Duel Anakin. I don't think EPIII toy threads can avoid spoilers. Figures and their cardback descriptions reveal plot points, and playset discs demand explanation!
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 22, 2005, 12:32 PM »
Just a lava ball.  Maybe they almost get hit dueling by a big ball or two of lava.  That's not a spoiler because I am just guessing. 

But I am sure us Indiana Jones fans will paint one of the lava balls and recreate the rolling boulder scene from Raiders.  Right?  Sure.

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2005, 01:53 PM »
The Anakin and Obi-Wan figures are NOT attached to the discs.  The discs are actually set pieces from the duel, and elaborating any more would have spoiler implications.

Well - I'm glad to hear the figures are permanently attached to those discs. Personally, I wouldn't mind if you elaborated anymore, I think spoilers are okay in this forum....
Peter

Letting my collecting OCD get the better of me on a DAILY basis... and loving EVERY minute of it!

Offline CloneF13Y35

• Jedi Padawan
  • I think I"m a CLone Now
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2005, 12:53 PM »
I'm not sold on the playset just yet, but I think I'd pick it up next year once on clearance. Somethings are "Have Nows" and some are ' on sale wants'; this is one of those - plus I don't have any room for this thing.
{{|///////Frank//}[================>
"I think I'm a Clone now"
"No I'm not!"
"Yes - I AM"

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2005, 06:00 PM »
Hell, just about anything in the 3-3/4" line is a must have for me.   :-\

:P

Offline Pete_Fett

• Jedi Knight
  • Jedi Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2005, 04:43 AM »
Hey gang - I took the DCPI numbers for the ROTS figures with me again to Target last night, but this time, I decided I would try something new - since the numbers are:

087-06-1327 - Deluxe Figures
087-06-1328 - Collection 2 Figures

I decided to try 087-06-1329 and up...

It turns out that all the way to 087-06-1334 is Star Wars product.

I wish I had a pen so I could have written what was what down, but the reason I'm posting this here is:

087-06-1334 = Mustafar Playset, price: $29.99

Now this makes sense as to why the playset is so small and sparse, it's only a $30 item!

In the sequence I remember seeing the ROTS Lightsaber Assortment, ROTS Unleashed, Blasters and the Strike Vehicles (I'm guessing at the $14.99 price point that is the Boga, Barc Speeder and AT-RT).

What I didn't find was the Battle Arenas, 12" items, or Attacktix.
Peter