Author Topic: What Do You Think is the "Most Scalped" Toyline?  (Read 4522 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
What Do You Think is the "Most Scalped" Toyline?
« on: October 28, 2004, 04:01 PM »
Although I don't really have the knowledge/experience with scalpers that many of you likely do, I think the majority of us have either witnessed it in some way, or seen the remains afterwards.  These days, it seems like the majority of toylines (or action figure lines in particular) that are in the aisles, have to be collector-driven.  Aside from the occasional kid-rush during new movie times, I would say overall they are more interested in Yu-Gi-Oh, Pokemon, etc., and maybe the occasional superhero figures (usually Spidey or Bats).  Anyways, of what you have witnessed, what line do you think is the worst scalper fodder nowadays?

Star Wars is always a tough find when they are new releases, but I don't know if it is quite as bad as it used to be.  They do still get bought up a lot I think, but with some cases (VOTC for one), it might just be collectors buying them up.  The ROTJ VOTC wave in particular has a lot of shortpacks, and it basically just takes one or two people picking up a figure each and they are gone.  I continue to see a fair amount of scalper-like people checking out the LOTR stuff from time to time, although there hasn't been anything new here since the Morgul Lord wave.  I'm not familiar with all of the lines, and don't always check them out, but of the ones I do (and read about), I think Marvel Legends might be one of the worst right now.  The fact that many figures are being shortpacked now doesn't help much, but I haven't seen anything other than Nick Furys, Silver Surfers, Colossus, etc. hanging around here anymore.  I'm not sure if the newer figures have even shown up here yet, but if they have, they are gone rather quickly.  Anyways, what line do you think is the most scalperrific nowadays?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: What Do You Think is the "Most Scalped" Toyline?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2004, 06:03 PM »
Marvel Legends, undoubtedly.

And Toy Biz continues to feed the fire on purpose, simply to get interest in their line. And **** like that always backfires.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Holographic Elvis

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I'll punch you in the junk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2004, 04:43 PM »
Right now, Marvel Legends hands down.

Offline evenflow

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Myspace
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2004, 12:56 AM »
Marvel Legends
Quote the Raven, Nevermore.

"It Can't Rain All The TIme"

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2004, 02:52 AM »
If I based it on my local Toy Show (bi-annual, and soon to be tri-annual), I'd say Star Wars surprisingly.  Every table has SOMETHING SW on it every show.  I'm always astonished by that.

Overall though, I dunno...  I follow toys, but not closely enough to monitor who's buying what.  I'll be damned if I can find a new LOTR figure out here though for my brother.  I haven't seen new stuff for months and months.  He's WAY behind and X-Mas is coming.   >:(
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2004, 01:02 AM »
McFarlane Sportspicks.  Sure, ML is tough, but the case packs suck enough generally it's difficult to tell whether you were beat by a collector or a scalper.  SP's are easy, no chase = scalper for the most part, usually (locally anyway) a quick buck to be made.   Chase for ML too few and far between. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 2, 2004, 01:14 PM »
McFarlane Sportspicks.  Sure, ML is tough, but the case packs suck enough generally it's difficult to tell whether you were beat by a collector or a scalper.  SP's are easy, no chase = scalper for the most part, usually (locally anyway) a quick buck to be made.   Chase for ML too few and far between. 

SportsPicks are definitely scalped, by employees, scalpers and customers looking to make a quick buck, but with recent series of all the sport (football included) we've seen that more chase pieces are being produced.  There only seem to be certain figs that hold their demand after a small period of time on the shelf.  In the past month I passed up 3 white Ahman Greens and a retro Bledsoe because no one seems to want them.  In terms of difficulty right now, Marvel Legends get the nod.  Their limited pieces are more valuable than any SP chase on the market right now (that's not counting the white Gretzky simply because it hasn't hit in mass yet.) 

The local toy show here is a good indicator.  Tons of guys have SPs, tons of guys have SW, but ask a guy for a certain ML and he either doesn't have it or he's holding it for a king's ransom. 

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 2, 2004, 01:20 PM »
McFarlane Sportspicks is tops from what I have seen here followed by Hot Wheels. Brent & I have talked about seeing the rush at Wally to the toy section & seeing those same guys flipping through the Hot Wheels! Buy them for a buck & flip them for $10. or more.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 2, 2004, 02:09 PM »

SportsPicks are definitely scalped, by employees, scalpers and customers looking to make a quick buck, but with recent series of all the sport (football included) we've seen that more chase pieces are being produced.  There only seem to be certain figs that hold their demand after a small period of time on the shelf.  In the past month I passed up 3 white Ahman Greens and a retro Bledsoe because no one seems to want them.  In terms of difficulty right now, Marvel Legends get the nod.  Their limited pieces are more valuable than any SP chase on the market right now (that's not counting the white Gretzky simply because it hasn't hit in mass yet.) 

The local toy show here is a good indicator.  Tons of guys have SPs, tons of guys have SW, but ask a guy for a certain ML and he either doesn't have it or he's holding it for a king's ransom. 

Agreed, a good argument.  Certainly McFarlane's increased production has reduced demand, but around here they are still king.  Mostly because we see so few Marvel Legends put out.  Certainly ML has a much better return for the chase pieces, no argument at all. 

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 2, 2004, 03:54 PM »
Agreed, a good argument.  Certainly McFarlane's increased production has reduced demand, but around here they are still king.  Mostly because we see so few Marvel Legends put out.  Certainly ML has a much better return for the chase pieces, no argument at all. 

Good point there.  If you actually have fewer places to actually find something, it's going to seem like the demand is higher.  I guess that's why ebay is the best overall indicator of demand on something because it covers so much territory.  I support the argument for MLs simply because of my recent conversations with some of the dealers at the local toy show. 
« Last Edit: November 2, 2004, 03:56 PM by Holographic Elvis »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 2, 2004, 04:04 PM »
Oh yeah, on a per dollar basis there is no argument.  And it seems like no one keeps ML chase pieces either, they all get sold on the bay. 

We get hardly any football, baseball or hockey up here, so scalping locally is still profitable with McFarlanes, though they decline quite quickly in price as it becomes cheaper to buy them on ebay and have them shipped. 

Marvel Legends is overall quite annoying.  I've had remarkably good luck with the line in many respects.  I found gold Iron Man numerous times, same for doombot.  Never found maskless Wolverine, though I'm still hopeful of stumbling on the series 6 version.  I never found Red Skull, but obtained one relatively cheaply from the spawn.com board.  Scott found me the Goliath chase, then took me to the cleaners for it ;)  But I'll get him back by sending him my last gold iron man.  Red Phoenix is eluding me to an annoying extent, since I've been lucky enough to walk in and find full cases numerous times, but no chase.  Brown Cable can rot for all I care. 

Locally though, Legends are in serious scalp territory right now.  Most of the Zellers that put them out had them disappear before ever reaching customer accessible retail.  Wacky stuff. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 2, 2004, 04:45 PM »
Sports Picks by far are the most scalped thing around here.  Not only are people scalping the variants, but they're also scalping just about every local player unless the cases are loaded with them.  I think that tends to be a regional phenomenon, too.  When I was in Chicago, the Chicago area players were all WAY expensive, variants and regulars alike.  Same deal here in NY.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 2, 2004, 08:10 PM »
Sports Picks by far are the most scalped thing around here.  Not only are people scalping the variants, but they're also scalping just about every local player unless the cases are loaded with them.  I think that tends to be a regional phenomenon, too.  When I was in Chicago, the Chicago area players were all WAY expensive, variants and regulars alike.  Same deal here in NY.

The regional athlete thing happens everywhere.  Here in LA all the local teams, including the Raiders, get price hikes at the local show.  Gagne and his chase has been the big one for months. 

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 3, 2004, 03:44 PM »
My point exactly.  I think it's that element that makes SP's so scalpable.  Even common figures can become scalper bait just by virtue of geography.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback