Author Topic: First Movie You Remember Going To See At A Theater  (Read 5595 times)

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: First Movie You Remember Going To See At A Theater
« Reply #30 on: April 28, 2005, 11:36 PM »
ESB in 1980.  I was 3 years old.  Right after that we went to a small toy store and bought my first Star Wars figure.  I got R5D4 because I was stupid and thought he was R2D2.  I remember my sister got the ANH Princess Leia.  She was 6 years old, so I'm pretty sure she knew what character she was getting.   :)

:P

Offline DoctorPadawan

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Get that poison out of your system
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2005, 11:57 PM »
This one is going to be bizarre, but the first movie I remember seeing (actually it was my second movie I went to see ever) was Disney's "Song of the South."  There's a lot of controversy about this film nowadays (Disney pretty much refuses to release it on DVD or VHS or Betamax or 16mm in the US ever again), but I do recall going to see it in a small town theater when I was a kid.  I can't remember how old I was or what year it was, but that's my first memory of a movie theater.

My mother and aunt actually took me to see "Star Wars" in 1977 but I don't remember it (I was far too young).  My mother told me later that I did not make a peep during the entire film and that when Darth Vader took his first step onto the Tantive IV, I began rocking in my chair and smiling and cooing, so I guess things were predestined from that point. :)

I also remember seeing the Robin Williams "Popeye" movie at a drive-in in that same town when I was a kid, but again, I don't recall the age. 

I also consider myself lucky to have seen Weird Al's "UHF" and The Transformers Movie in theaters during their opening weekends (I still have the DVD of "UHF" in my collection and it still holds up as a hilarious film).

"Badgers?  WE DON'T NEED NO STINKING BADGERS!"

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #32 on: April 29, 2005, 12:04 AM »
Pinocchio...oh wait, I already said that

I saw Song of the South in the theater as well, I can kind of guess why but I am not exactly sure why they refuse to release it again...care to enlighten?
« Last Edit: April 29, 2005, 12:05 AM by Scott »

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 29, 2005, 08:20 AM »
The first movie I remember seeing was either Sleeping Beauty or a Jaws at the drive in. I was much to young to watch Jaws, it was my parents who wanted to see it. It scared the crap out of me, but so did Sleeping Beauty. :P
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 29, 2005, 08:51 AM »
If you watch Song of the South today, the racial stereotypes are just TOO exaggerated for anyone to show it and then take the flak. Its too bad, because I got a bootleg copy of this on DVD, and it really is a great movie. The effects and animation are fantastic, and kids still love it. Plus, the overt message is certainly inclusive, and really, as far as I know, these tales from Uncle Remus are the only popular culture examples of real African folklore. I think it could be instructive as a history lesson today.  I don't want to discount some of the negative images though. For the decendants of slaves, and for the south as a whole.  :P

I don't know if Disney has said outright they'll not re-release it, but that's the assumption.

The first movie I remember seeing was a Disney movie, but hardly remember anything about it. There were dancing leprechauns. Anyone remember one with dancing leprechauns?

Offline Logray2776

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 29, 2005, 09:44 AM »
First movie I can recall watching was ESB back in 1980, i only remember bits and pieces of it though. Hell i was only 4 at the time.

Claude

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #36 on: October 25, 2006, 01:23 PM »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 25, 2006, 01:55 PM »
Heh, someone's dredging again. 

1984 was the year I went to my first movie by myself...great year for movies too

I believe my first one was Temple of Doom, but I also remember seeing Karate Kid, Ghostbusters, Gremlins with my buddies that summer

Not sure why I didn't twig on this before, but Temple of Doom is a movie I've always hated.  Not sure why really, I love the Indy franchise in general.  I think it's because I realized a girl I was going out with at the time was also seeing another guy.  Figured it out because she really liked Indy and wanted to go quite badly, but I was working three different jobs at the time.  We eventually got there and she was pretending she hadn't seen it before but a few things sort of slipped that indicated she knew what was coming.  I caught her best friends eye at one point and she had guilt written all over her face.  In retrospect it's kind of funny because if you just open your eyes, you see all sorts of things, but at the time it wasn't so funny.  Still, Temple is my least favorite of those three.

Movies are generally good triggers for memories for me.  I still remember going to see Jedi with a certain redhaired girl.  I also remember seeing another girl at the movie I knew in high school that turned out to be absolutely stunning :o something she wasn't in high school.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #38 on: October 25, 2006, 02:12 PM »
Heh, someone's dredging again.

You got that straight.

I believe it was Aladdin.

I also watched the VHS about 8 million times.

My first, I believe, was also Pinocchio--which was indeed re-released in the late seventies (December 1978, to be exact--I would have been three, which makes sense).

The first "real" movies I saw were The Muppet Movie in '79 and of course Empire a year later.  Still kind of remember going to both of those, and still love all three to this day.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 02:28 PM by Matt »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #39 on: October 25, 2006, 02:20 PM »
My bad--I didn't realize I'd already posted in here. In search of the Firefox thread, I sorted Watto's by thread title, and this happened to be the next thread below.

On the plus side, at least my new post has a big shiny picture that the old one didn't have. ;D
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 25, 2006, 02:57 PM »
I can't remember my childhood much :(. I know one movie when I was a kid was The Omen-- gruesome death scenes rolling over and over in my head for years. Don't know if that was the first or not-definately the most negatively remembered though. Star Wars(ANH) came later(I think :-\) and was awesome for me as a kid.. I was 7 or 8 though. There's alot of blur back then. Oh well.

Some good stories in here though! ;)

The DS 

Offline john todd

• Jedi Padawan
  • I'm the llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 25, 2006, 05:12 PM »
i think a re-release of the jungle book was my 1st movie.

my daughters was fun with dick and jane, but she won't remember because she was only 6 months old and slept thru it.  i didn't really wanna take her cuz i have bitched many times about people bringing babies to movies before, but i was coerced.

Offline iFett

• Jedi Sentinel
  • wabbit hunter
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 25, 2006, 05:57 PM »

and

I'm not sure which one came first.  **Note DVD images are to spark memory.  I'm too lazy to look for original theatrical pics.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2006, 05:58 PM by iFett »
Learn new skills at home that some consider to be.....unnatural.  Easy repayment terms.  555-PLPTN

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2006, 09:56 PM »
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile