Author Topic: Top 10 Rock Bands of ALL Time  (Read 5715 times)

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
Re: Top 10 Rock Bands of ALL Time
« Reply #15 on: November 13, 2004, 03:29 PM »
Damn right, Vertical Horizon.  And add Third Eye Blind to that list, too.

All the Coldplays (whom I really like, but lets not kid ourselves, they're not that great) and Radioheads in the world will never absolve U2 for their responsibility for spawning so many radio-friendly unit shifters.

For reals, my hostility is partially in jest.

But you really think U2 had that much to do with Radiohead?  I mean sure, they're both from Great Britain and kind of modern rockish, but Radiohead's off the hook while U2 is very much on.

If U2's entire catalog were more like "Zooropa" and less like "Achtung Baby" and "Pop!" I might be persuaded.

This is totally my opinion, and about a billion kajillion people disagree with me, I know, but while U2 were a respectable modern rock band from "Boy" and "War" up through "The Joshua Tree" and "Unforgettable Fire" (you can probably throw "Rattle and Hum" in there, but that's not really a studio effort), everything from "Achtung Baby" on (excepting the anomolous Zooropa) is cookie-cutter.

They're talented cookie-cutters, and by far the best of the cookie-cutters out there, but I'm calling a spade a spade.

I just don't like 'em.  No accounting for tastes, though, I know.....
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 03:40 PM by Sprry75 »
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2004, 04:55 PM »
They also changed the way bands were marketed-- bet John, Paul, George, and Ringo never had action figures or lawn mowers in their heyday.

Lawnmowers, no. Action figures, yes. And today, they are worth a hell of a lot more than the Kiss figures. But I will give you this much: KISS is a marketing machine. Anything that can have a KISS logo on it will, and anything you want to pay Gene and Paul to put their logo on, they'll go for. No ifs, ands, or buts.

But The Beatles had their fair share of merchandise as well. Not as much was available back then, so the amount of it doesn't compare with what some bands have available today.

This guy has a nice collection, but it doesn't even really break the surface.

My favorite piece of KISS merch will always be the Kasket. And it doubles as a cooler, so you can use it now in this life as well as the afterlife :P

I stand corrected. I thought KISS' Megos in the late 70's were the first music toys.
Quite a collection there, too.

[Sidenote:  Where the hell is good metal?  And by good, I don't necessarily mean fast stuff like Slayer or whatever.  I don't like poppy metal either, and I hate the rap/rock hybrid nu-metal garbage (which doesn't include Rage Against the Machine, but does include pretty much everything else out there, like **** messiahs Linkin Park).  I guess what I'm saying is this:  Tool is my favorite band in the whole world.  They do stuff that blows me away thematically and sonically.  Where can a Tool fan, who loves Tool but doesn't like A Perfect Circle or Cradle of Filth or any of their clones, find something to hit the spot in between Tool efforts?  And I don't mean hard rock like Local H or At the Drive-In, both of whom I like a lot for what they are...but I want something metallic and blistering loud and rock and scary.

I wish I had an answer. Anything I find is mega-fast (Megadeth, Slayer, Maiden), a total **** sandwich (Metallica's St. Anger album, most nu-metal) or overly gothpunkpop (Good Charlotte). Pretty much just left with Tool or APC, and the Master of Puppets album. ;)

I get some kicks from Audioslave, Velvet Revolver, and Slash's Snakepit, but I wouldn't call them metal as much as I would rock.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline stormtripper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 13, 2004, 05:07 PM »
  1. metallica
  2. metallica
  3. metallica
  4. metallica
  5. metallica
  6. metallica
  7. metallica
  8. metallica
  9. metallica
10. metallica

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #18 on: November 13, 2004, 06:03 PM »
Oh...my...goodness... :o

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #19 on: November 13, 2004, 11:07 PM »
Cookie cutter?   :o  We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Oh, and U2 isn't from Great Britain.  They're from Ireland.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 03:46 PM by Spuffy »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2004, 12:33 AM »
Some of you guys deserve to be socked in the balls. Really hard.

Beatles
Doors
Elvis
Jimi Hendrix
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Queen
Rolling Stones

Others:

Aerosmith
Bob Dylan (although he doesn't really fit here)
Black Sabbath
Creedance Clearwater Revival
Cream (Eric Clapton)
Metallica
Nirvana (Personally, I cannot tolerate Nirvana unless its unplugged)
Smashing Pumpkins
Who

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2004, 01:49 AM »
Quote from: Sprry75

[Sidenote:  Where the hell is good metal?  And by good, I don't necessarily mean fast stuff like Slayer or whatever.  I don't like poppy metal either, and I hate the rap/rock hybrid nu-metal garbage (which doesn't include Rage Against the Machine, but does include pretty much everything else out there, like **** messiahs Linkin Park).  I guess what I'm saying is this:  Tool is my favorite band in the whole world.  They do stuff that blows me away thematically and sonically.  Where can a Tool fan, who loves Tool but doesn't like A Perfect Circle or Cradle of Filth or any of their clones, find something to hit the spot in between Tool efforts?  And I don't mean hard rock like Local H or At the Drive-In, both of whom I like a lot for what they are...but I want something metallic and blistering loud and rock and scary.

I'm not sure how to answer this, are you looking for something on the level of like Iced Earth or Pantera in that it's not overly fast but still is strong? That's honestly too hard to find nowadays, metal itself nowadays has lent itself towards the speed with Slayer, BLS, Megadeth, et al. And that is all still some great stuff.

By poppy metal I guess you mean glam metal like Poison and **** eh? That can stay away for sure. So can rap/rock and yes RATM IS rap/rock, they are of the same crap that spawned korn, limp bizkit, system of a down, and linkin park. If you're going to combine rap and rock, combine it in the ways o Anthrax/Public Enemy or Biohazard/Onyx. And I'm still not sure what nu-metal is exactly, I thought bands like Linkin Park and SOAD would fit that mold, but I get differing answers for it. Some people say a band like Sevendust is nu-metal, but they play a great combination of stuff, some of it quite heavy, some of it laidback, but all of it with actual talent. I'm not sure if I can say Tool or APC is metal, don't get me wrong I definitely like em, they just seem a bit different than metal, perhaps industrial is the right term.

And Local H is the **** yo!  8)
« Last Edit: November 14, 2004, 01:49 AM by CorranHorn »
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline HWR

• Jedi Initiate
  • Finally I have returned
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2004, 04:45 AM »
Well there are some band you all have forgotten, what about:

Bros
New Kids on the Block
Spice Girls

And then again, maube not.  ;D

Here are my favorites.

R.E.M.
Radiohead
U2
The Walkabouts
Queen
Dire Straits
Niel Young
Iron Maiden
Spinal Tap
Traveling Wilburys (Bob Dylan, Tom Petty, George Harrison, Jeff Lynne and Ray Orbison).

Well they might not be the most important band, but rather my own favirites. Another great band is actually Spiderlegs from this forum.

-H

Collector of vintage loose Star Wars figures and variations.
Three time sponsor and presenter at the Celebration Europe Collector Track.

Offline Sprry75

• Jedi Apprentice
  • semper ubi sub ubi
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2004, 07:22 PM »
Cookie cutter?   :o  We'll just have to agree to disagree.

Oh, and U2 isn't from Great Britain.  They're from Ireland.

Crap.  Big faux pas.  Sorry....

And don't take me too seriously on the U2 stuff, man.  I do think they're really, really talented, just not my bag o' doughnuts.  But they are a good band.
"Really?  Sorry."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2004, 11:50 PM »
The Who, The Who, The Who...come on people

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2004, 11:57 PM »
Not too much love for Queen either which is sad, I love Queen, I could listen to Freddie Mercury all day and all night, he was an absolutely amazing artist.

Queen should not be left off anyone's top 10 list damn you all!

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2004, 08:00 PM »
I'm gonna just pick one-

edit: Alright, make that two-

« Last Edit: November 17, 2004, 08:07 PM by Bob Crane »
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #27 on: November 17, 2004, 08:44 PM »
****, I forgot the only band that matters:
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Reid

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile