Author Topic: Anyone Gonna See Sponge Bob?  (Read 2253 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Anyone Gonna See Sponge Bob?
« on: November 18, 2004, 11:22 PM »
I guess I am...  Looks sorta funny.  I have a weird fascination with Sponge Bob ever since I saw a couple episodes...  I mean, the fact Pantera was playing some music for them made me laugh out loud.

I'm not a huge cartoon fan...  Never really got into adult swim and that stuff (I loved Spaceghost but I don't even see him on anymore), but Spongebob caught my attention, so I watch. 

Helps when you've got kids in your life to see the finer points of some of the kids shows.  SB being one of them.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Gonna See Sponge Bob?
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 12:58 AM »
Passing on this one. I'm a big fan of cartoons, but I've never really taken to Spongebob. Granted I haven't really ever given it a chance, but I'm more of an Adult Swim fan, and I don't know that I'd enjoy it all that much.

Plus I still need to check out The Incredibles...

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 01:07 AM »
I want to see Spongebob, but I will definitely wait for DVD. No way in hell am I going to sit through a movie with an entire theater filled with children. No way. It was bad enough I had to sit in a theater filled with kids when I went to see The Grudge. I can't even begin to imagine what it would be like to sit through this...

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 01:14 AM »
Passing on this one.

Dude, how can you pas on this? It's got David Freakin' Hasslehoff in a cameo.

He needs us to see the flick so he can pay his legal bills... Does this call for (another) resurrection of the "What were you thinking Michael Knight" thread?
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2004, 01:19 AM »
Hmmm...  Good thoughts there.

Spongebob, I find, to be a good mix of "kids and adults" kind of humor.  Kinda like Toy Story, or Monsters Inc.  I don't know that the Spongebob film will be as good as a Pixar flick, but I'm curious to see it.

Of course I'll have children with me...  I wouldn't go without renting one or two.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2004, 07:05 AM »
I'm certainly going to go see it! I've been a spongebob fan since it came out in '99.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2004, 08:40 AM »
We've considered going to see it, but I think we'll end up waiting for the DVD release to possibly check it out.  We catch the show now and then, and I think it can be pretty funny.  I agree, kind of a mix of children and adult humor.  Another show we've caught before that is like this is the Fairly OddParents, perhaps even more so.  I've laughed out loud to that show a number of times.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2004, 11:06 AM »
I'll wait til DVD, since I probably cant get my son to sit still for more than 5 minutes.  My weird cartoon fascination seems to be with Billy and Mandy on the Cartoon Network.  Dont know why but I love watching it every night with the little one. 

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2004, 11:54 AM »
I have a 6 year old. We'll probably see it this weekend.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2004, 06:23 PM »
My buddy asked me if I was interested in seeing it, hell yeah, Hasselhoff is in it, can't miss that!  ;)  Have to wait till next weekend to see it though.  :-\

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2004, 09:19 PM »
we were just talkin about this at work today, my boss brought up a good point. to truly see this movie, you're going to have to be heavily stoned.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2004, 02:26 AM »
OK, just got back from my girlfriend's an hour ago.  It was pretty fun/funny.  Typical SpongeBob humor, and not as much adult humor as there was kid humor, but still enjoyable.

Patrick steals the show, of course.  I don't know many who don't favor him over all others.  He's very "leggy" at parts, and that got tremendous laughter.

David Hasselhoff's role is more than I imagined actually.  He's funny too, and seemed to enjoy the whole thing.  I found that in and of itself funny.

I like Plankton but he was underused IMO.

The various "citizens" also are always a highlight.  Usually great lines.

No real use of Sandy Cheeks, which was a negative in my book.  A good 3rd dimension to the Bob/Patrick duo.  THey used Squidward more than Sandy.  Bummer.

Not much music, but had they incorporated some more things like at the end, they could've definitely had the "older" crowd laughing more.

Hmmm...

I liked it.  I don't know that I'd recommend any of you rush out to see it or NOT wait for a DVD of it.  I did like it though.

Oh, and the E3 teaser trailer was on before.  The LFL logo hit and I went ape **** (silently, but still in a giddy kid-like fashion), and my girlfriend just laughed.  She asked "Is this the trailer you keep playing at home when we're on the phone", and I just nodded.  She watched it then with interest.  She seemed to like it.   Yay!

Seeing the trailer on a big screen has me so pumped up for Star Wars.  I seriously am needing a bigscreen SW fix right now, but my TV's too small to get that feeling.   :-\

Offline stormtripper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2004, 02:27 AM »
I wanna see it but like 99% of the movie out, I can wait until DVD. Although I did just buy sponge bob's christmas the other day. My son is 2 and a half years old and is starting to get excited for christmas.... Santa sent us the 6 playschool bounty hunters today. ;)

Offline Bob Crane

• Jedi Initiate
  • "Austria!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 01:43 AM »
I wouldn't pass up a Sponge Bob movie on the BIG screen for ALL the tea in China!
"Fascism should more appropriately be called Corporatism because it is a merger of State and corporate power."   -Benito Mussolini

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 02:12 AM »
Then you sir, are a goofy goober...

yeah.