Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Apoxie
« on: November 19, 2004, 03:41 PM »
Anyone ever heard of this?  Its a modeling epoxy clay that is guess is some good stuff.  I read about it in a guy's Marvel Legend Custom thread

http://www.avesstudio.com/Products/Apoxie_Sculpt/apoxie_sculpt.html

No need to bake ala Super Sculpey

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
Re: Apoxie
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2004, 03:52 PM »
Yes sir. I am familiar with Apoxie. It's commonly used when customizing Jurassic Park figures at JPToys.com's custom section. [/plug]

It's quite handy. Ive used it often to sculpt hat's for figures, weapons, and attaching apropriate parts to dinosaurs. One day I'll even figure out how to stop people from dying.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2004, 04:01 PM »
Have you used Sculpey before?  That's all I have ever used and it works fine but this stuff seems a lot better, the no heated cure thing is the clincher

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2004, 04:11 PM »
I know lots of people who have had bad experiences with Sculpey. I wont touch it with a 10 foot poll.

Things dont stay right when heated, etc.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2004, 01:52 AM »
Never heard of Apoxie myself, but I've found anything epoxy like tends to set fast, so working time's a possible problem.

As far as Sculpey, depending on what you want to do with a custom (IE: Don't care how fragile it is) or what type you may be using, these are the factors that can vary results.  The super sculpey and primo are supposedly good.  I can't even find them.

Sculpey III though, which is all I can ever find, is more like a moderate modeling clay and a good "kids" clay.  I have very bad luck with it for anything really, but I can't find good Sculpey anywhere.  Just III.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2004, 02:21 PM »
Supposedly the set time on this is like 2-3 hours which is why people like it so much, I may get some just to see how it is

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 12:24 PM »
Thanks for the link - that looks like some great stuff and a lot better than sculpy.  I used sculpy a few times, and it kind of sucked.

I've really gotten on a customizing kick again lately, and think I might be able to come up with some decent sculpting if I had the right stuff - I'll probably order some of this stuff when the holidays are over and I have some extra $$$.

:P