Author Topic: New Saga 4-packs: Love 'em or hate 'em?  (Read 18434 times)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
New Saga 4-packs: Love 'em or hate 'em?
« on: March 3, 2003, 03:41 AM »
So apparently those two rumored 4-packs are indeed on the way judging by the mock-ups obtained by American Dream Comics (see main page for news).  What do you think of them?  Here's some small teaser pix from ADC - go to their site for bigger shots here:
http://www.americandreamcomics.com/index.php?itemid=1103&catid=8

The first set is the Imperial Forces set, and comes with the Commtech Stormtrooper, Emperor's Wrath Vader (POTJ), a somewhat revised AT-ST Driver, a cool new black Imperial R4 droid, and a handful of accessories.

The Bounty Hunter set comes with rehashes of the 300th Fett, POTF2 Bossk, POTJ IG-88, and POTJ Aurra Sing with an all-new and very cool Swoop Bike.

With the complete understanding that these are just supposed to be some "refresher" (and army building) sets to get some of the older figures back out on the market to some of the newer collectors who may have missed out, I think they're not half bad, especially the Imperial set.  Pretty much a new figure with the black R4, which will look great next to R2-Q5, as well as a couple good Imperial army builder figures and some good (but rehashed) accessories.  The inclusion of the EW Vader is a bit curious and unfortunate - would've much rather gotten one more "army builder" figure instead.

The bounty hunters are all rehashed, but the cool new Swoop Bike will unfortunately make most completists or ship collectors go out and buy this set anyways.  Another clever marketing move on Hasbro's part, sure to bother some people...  I would've much rather just had a nice 6-pack set of all of the ESB Bounty Hunters instead though!  And as far as originally being very hard to find, Zuckass would've been a much better inclusion in this set than Bossk.

Nice concept, that with a little work, could get better in future sets...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re:New Saga 4-packs: Love 'em or hate 'em?
« Reply #1 on: March 3, 2003, 08:49 AM »
Oh bloody great. I needed to see that Matt.   ;)
Rehash, rehash, rehash. Still I may want to get these.
I have a thing about box sets. They look cool & come with lots of accessories.
Hmmmmmmmmm!  Must make room for these.  ;D

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #2 on: March 3, 2003, 09:53 AM »
I love the Imperial Set, I'll pick up three or four probably.  I'll pass big time on the Bounty Hunters though.  The EU swoop does nothing for me.  Sweet idea, I hope they do more of these instead of the accessory sets...as long as there are new figures (even if they are repaints)

SilverZ

« Reply #3 on: March 3, 2003, 12:55 PM »
I'll love the Imperial set out of the box, that's for sure. I have no problem with armybuilders if I can get at least one unique figure out of the set with that droid. Good times. It looks like the EW Vader is made from solid plastic this time, so I guess he qualifies as a different figure in a variation kind of way, but he wasn't my favorite Vader to begin with. I'm starting to get annoyed at the POTJ Sandtrooper arms cursing all of the opportunities for cool Stormtrooper variants.

I'll buy at least one for opening, and, alas, I one to keep boxed, like the completist fool I am. I think the packaging has a bargain-basement feel to it, though.

I'll hold off on getting an opener of the Bounty Hunter set, unless Bossk gets a good repaint. Until we see actual figure pics instead of a back box shot, I'm not that interested in this one.

Maybe they'll do another set like this for Hoth Imperials...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #4 on: March 3, 2003, 04:51 PM »
I only want the Imp one for the droid, and I only want the Hunter one for the Fett...  :-\

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 3, 2003, 06:32 PM »
I do not have a wealth of insight on this other then, I'd pick up both, I never collected the POTF stuff so this is all new to me!  Rehash is fine by me.  ;D
« Last Edit: May 27, 2003, 12:04 AM by FishEyedLouie »

Offline max_one

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 4, 2003, 12:37 PM »
i love em, rehash or not, i completely missed Aurra Sing the first time around, but definately not this time.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 4, 2003, 12:52 PM »
Hey max_one, if your talking about this one, she's a dime a dozen up here in Canada. Tri-logo card but better than nothing.
Pic not Tri-logo.

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 4, 2003, 07:07 PM »
I like the 4-pack.  Too bad there's not a fourth army builder in there.  I like the Vader, but he makes me want to buy fewer of the sets than I might if there was another Trooper, Officer, or Droid in the set.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline jor_supersid

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 5, 2003, 08:33 PM »
i like the pack it looks good i just don't like the stupid  hoth cannon whats with that?

the bounty hunter one is just stupid the bike is the only thing good

Offline boba-brett

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 6, 2003, 08:35 AM »
Curse you Hasbro!  You are like the Emperor luring me towards the dark side of rehashes. Must resist temptation......but that bounty hunter set is pretty cool.

NNNNOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Offline obi-dad

• Jedi Initiate
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 6, 2003, 11:49 AM »
I'm definitely buying multiple Imperial packs, but not any bounty hunter as I already have all the figures.   I would have loved to have an imperial officer, sandtrooper,  snowtrooper, or even an AT-AT driver instead of the EW Vadar, but then we'd probably NEVER see the 4-pack at a store.   Still, it's one sweet set if the price is right.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: New Saga 4-packs: Love 'em or hate 'em?
« Reply #12 on: March 7, 2003, 01:52 PM »
I like em, I'm just not sure I believe them.  I expect something is coming, but maybe not these exactly?

Imperial set:  Love the droid, a black R4ish type is superb.  The new Vader I can deal with, more Vaders is always fine by me.  AT-ST driver?  I dunno, not too keen.  It's good and all, but how may AT-ST drivers do I need?  Yes, I need more AT-ST's but that's a different topic.  More stormies are always welcome too, but here's where I start wondering about these mockups.  I've got an AT-ST driver and a Stormie but NO blasters and instead a big a$$ cannon?  I don't get it.  I would have expected at least two blasters of regular size in there and no cannon.  

Bounty Hunters:  Aurra again?  On the bright side, these sets won't make it to Canada, so at least that isn't a worry, but we hardly need another Aurra.  I still have three, I think.  Another Bossk?  What were they thinking.  Bossk is easy and cheap to get, why why WHY didn't they put in a Zuckuss (yeah, sure, I have a loose and a carded one, but lots of people don't)?  They have the mold, he was hard for most to find and would be a huge hit.  I don't honestly believe Hasbro to be that stupid that they would take Bossk over Zuckuss.  Too strange.  IG-88 is cool, but again a bit surprising.  Very recent release, I would say that even Bossk makes more sense than this one.  The Boba, if it is indeed just like the 300th is great.  I would happily welcome it into my collection, though I'm surprised given the price point when they sold so well at $10 US each.  The bike is kinda cool, but too EU-y for me.  Not really Star Wars-esque, but I can certainly understand the attraction it may hold.  

I just have a funny feeling that these are not what the final packages will be.  Color me surprised if it is the case.  Regardless, I'll buy at least one of each anyway, probably two of the Imperials.  Maybe two of the BH pack so I can have a loose 300th Fett.

----------------------
EDIT by JediMAC:  Looks like our language filters missed that one there Mr. Potty Mouth.   :P   Changed it just a tad for ya' B...  ;)  Contemplating changing your "Lakers Suck" post while I'm at it, but I'll try to show some self control!   :-X
« Last Edit: March 7, 2003, 03:28 PM by JediMAC »
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Boba Binks

• Jedi Padawan
  • The Most Feared Bounty Hunter on Naboo
    • View Profile
    • David Jonathan Syczylo
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2003, 05:02 PM »
Well I think this is a good way to get sets of figures for those who have not been in the hobby for long. Plus there is somewhat of a new thing for those who already have the figures.
On the other hand I would like to see new figures not repacks or re-tolled figures.

As you all know I am a completest so I will of course buy one of each set to open. The Bounty Hunter set looks sweet just for the Sing Swoop.
For those of you looking for me. I am now at www.sandtroopers.com

Offline Zuckuss44

• Youngling
  • Let my hands speak for me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2003, 08:28 PM »
Wow. They look interesting.

Imperial Set: I never got the Commtech Stormie, and a new droid is always good. While I have the Vader already, I could always try and trade him. I always like more AT-ST drivers, and accessories are always great. Looks like that's a must buy for me!

Bounty Hunter Set: I never got Aurra Sing. I guess I could use another Fett as a clone or something, or trading fodder like Fett. I have Bossk, so he's not all that great. But with the IG-88, that'll make four, so I can have the true group, ala Tales of the Bounty Hunters. I have the vintage, the SOTE, and then two POTJs. And I could always use more vehicles, so though not as great as the Imperial set, I might buy it for Aurra, IG-88, and the bike. Unless it's too expensive for my tastes.