Author Topic: NBA 2004/05  (Read 47674 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: NBA 2004/05
« Reply #120 on: February 2, 2005, 01:41 PM »
Yeah, I'm rather surprised certain Wolves fans haven't used this excellent (and rare) opportunity these past few weeks to really humbe the Laker fans around here.   ;)

Bah, even with 7 game win streak, we were still only like 9-8 in January, not much to get excited about.   :(

Hopefully they can get some things righted, starting with nerfing Spree.  I'm almost as tired of hearing about his issues as I am about hearing Randy Moss Trade rumors.   ::)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #121 on: February 3, 2005, 05:30 PM »
The Mavs are 30-14, but more telling than that: they are 18-0 when they have the lead at the start of the 4th quarter. That's dominance, man. You will all come to fear the Mavericks. Dirk has discovered that he is developing a solid inside game to compliment his awesome jump shot. Dampier held Shaq in check 2 nights ago, and Jason Terry is coming into his own as our 2 guard.

The Mavs will be hitting their stride come playoff time. San Antonio is the only West team that has an adavantage over them, and that's psychological.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: February 8, 2005, 02:03 PM »
NBA All-Star Starters and Subs

East
Starters:
C - Shaquille O'Neal - Miami
F - Vince Carter - New Jersey
F - Grant Hill - Orlando
G - LeBron James - Cleveland
G - Allen Iverson - Philadelphia

Subs:
G - Dwyane Wade, Miami
G - Gilbert Arenas, Washington
G - Paul Pierce, Boston
F - Antawn Jamison, Washington
F - Jermaine O'Neal, Indiana
F - Ben Wallace, Detroit
C - Zydrunas Ilgauskus, Cleveland

West
Starters:
C - Yao Ming, Houston
F - Kevin Garnett, Minnesota
F - Tim Duncan, San Antonio
G - Kobe Bryant, Los Angeles
G - Tracy McGrady, Houston

Subs:
G - Manu Ginobili, San Antonio
G - Steve Nash, Phoenix
G - Ray Allen, Seattle
F - Rashard Lewis, Seattle
F - Shawn Marion, Phoenix
F - Dirk Nowitzki, Dallas
C - Amare Stoudemire, Phoenix
« Last Edit: February 8, 2005, 02:05 PM by mosnab »

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #123 on: February 9, 2005, 10:20 AM »
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=250208029

>:(

Lose 5 in a row, win seven in a row, lose 6 in a row.

Ugh.  I am tired of this bad chemistry, streaky junk this year.  Who do we think we areplaying like this, the LAkers?  Maybe KG wants a challenge with a lower playoff seed or maybe he needs a break from the playoffs this year, I don't know.

The worst part is without the Wild, I'm stuck following this train wreck of a squad.  The worst part is knowing that this team is basically the same as last year and it is only their in-fighting and bad seeds that have derailed us...   :'(

Maybe I'll take a break from sports for a bit and just pick up the Twins in March... I can always jump back on the wolves bandwagon when/if they make the playoffs I guess.

Jeff

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: February 9, 2005, 10:24 AM »
It has been really frustrating, and I keep expecting them to snap out of it and work their way up the standings.  That could still happen, lots of season left, but I'm growing increasingly concerned.  I am starting to feel that a change in personnel might be necessary, possibly sending Cassell or Spree (or both) packing and getting something else sparked in Wolf land.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #125 on: February 10, 2005, 12:23 PM »
Beating up on Denver last night was a step in the right direction, now let's keep it rolling!

And I agree with ya Brian, I'd like to see Spree moved to shake things up a bit and make room for Wally (who is playing really well now).  Sure would be nice to have that "I need to feed my family" cancer shopped out before the stretch run...

Jeff

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: February 11, 2005, 02:37 PM »
Sounds as if Karl Malone has decided to retire instead of returning to the NBA (probably with the Spurs).  Also, sounds like Reggie Miller is also hanging things up at the end of this season.  I was never particularly fond of either player, but have to respect the fact that they were both tremendous basketball talents and players, and definitely future Hall of Famers.  Two more players gone from the NBA I grew up knowing so well :).

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: February 11, 2005, 02:47 PM »
Strangely I've always liked Reggie.  Not sure why, but I think I always felt for him because he played in Indiana and never really got much attention.  I don't have much respect for many basketball players at all, so I never really felt any reason to single him out any more than any other player, though he isn't terribly popular at all. 

Malone I always enjoyed watching in Utah, not so much in LA.  He is a phenomenal talent and certainly bound for the Hall. 

I do like the way (it seems) Reggie is going out closer to the top, playing for a single team and not demanding a trade to a potential championship team for a shot at a ring.  I certainly understand players wanting to do that, but I end up respecting players that stay in one location much, much more.  The community has supported them for a long, long time.  Abandoning them for a ring seems sort of hollow to my pious self. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: February 11, 2005, 02:54 PM »
I do like the way (it seems) Reggie is going out closer to the top, playing for a single team and not demanding a trade to a potential championship team for a shot at a ring.  I certainly understand players wanting to do that, but I end up respecting players that stay in one location much, much more.  The community has supported them for a long, long time.  Abandoning them for a ring seems sort of hollow to my pious self.

I agree with you there Brent.  Although I understand why players would really want that chance at winning a ring, I have more respect for the ones who stay with "their team" for the entirety of their careers.  In this day of multiple trades and free agent movement, it doesn't seem like it happens all that often anymore.  I enjoyed it more when I was growing up watching hoops, and for the most part, the "big names" stayed put with their teams, and if they did switch it was a huge deal.  I remember the "Barkley to Suns" trade being like the biggest deal ever when I was in high school. :)  With both of these players, I just hated them when they were playing against my team(s) (which was primarily the Bulls from 1988 until Jordan hung them up for good)...which I guess is a compliment to them, because they were so good.  However, if they were playing against someone else (particularly when Reggie would torch the Knicks), I did enjoy that somewhat.  Either way, like you said, nice of Reggie to go out on top...and both of these guys are bound for the HOF.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: February 11, 2005, 03:48 PM »
I think for me it's an age thing :P  I'm clearly old and living in the past, but yeah, I really remember when guys wanted to play their entire career in a single place. 

In spite of his now obvious flaws, I thought Kirby Puckett would have made an ideal role model for younger players because he took less money from the Twins to stay there citing family reasons and that they liked the community.  Contrast that 10-15 years down the road and suddenly the family reasons are not enough money (Spree)!  That's a pretty dramatic difference. 

As an old Celtics fan I liked guys that stayed put even though lots of the big Celtic names actually came from other places - DJ, Chief, Walton, etc.  But Bird and McHale were and always will be Celtics.  Erving was a 76er (ABA, what ABA?) etc.  Old school, as it were.  Bah, I'm living in the past. 

Oddly, the one guy I feel good about switching teams was Ray Bourque.  He did play his entire season in Boston, save the last.  I'm happy he got a cup.  I wonder why I feel differently about him ???
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Famine

• Noderator
  • Jedi Master
  • Who watches The Famine?
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: February 11, 2005, 04:33 PM »
I wonder why I feel differently about him ???

Morgbug's got a man crush. ;D

It's greedy athletes that made me not have a sports idol as a young child.

Kevin
The picture kept, will remind me...

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #131 on: February 12, 2005, 08:54 PM »
Looks like the Wolves just canned Flip Saunders, and are having their VP Kevin McHale step in and take his place.  Wow.  Flip's been around for a long time, and I'm not sure you can blame him for the mess that has become a bunch of greedy egotistical ******** on his team, but oh well...

Yeah, pretty surprising to see Malone up and retire like that.  Looked like a for sure thing that he'd be headed to San Antonio, I thought.  Wonder why he changed his mind, especially since they have to be heavily favored to win the championship...

Maybe he wants to spend more time "hunting Mexican chicks".   :P

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 13, 2005, 08:49 PM »
I smell a Heat/Spurs Finals.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Dressel Rebel

• Jedi General
  • En Sabah Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 14, 2005, 08:13 PM »
Hrmmm...looks like KG is injured, numbers are down substantially in February.
This is what happens when you invade Wakanda

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #134 on: February 14, 2005, 10:51 PM »
He is hurt, bum knee and has been for most of the year.  Part of the reason they are playing so bad, albiet a small part.  Its just sickening to even talk about, RIP Flip ::)