Author Topic: NBA 2004/05  (Read 47970 times)

Offline John C

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: NBA 2004/05
« Reply #135 on: February 15, 2005, 02:22 PM »
They were reactionary and will regret dumping Flip IMO.  I suppose Taylor told McHale to do something or it would be his job.  I think the Wolves would have been better off getting rid of McHale or making a trade.  McHale is a great guy, but he's done nothing good for the team since he's been here.  Who has he drafted that turned into a player?  Look at what the Spurs have done since McHale has been in charge.  Several rings, and they still manage to draft good players.  McHale was the problem, not Flip.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: February 15, 2005, 02:26 PM »
I was sad to see Flip go as well, and I really believe he is one of the best coaches in the game right now.  He wasn't the problem here, as far as I'm concerned.  I would have sooner seen a trade as well, with either Spree or Cassell (or both) getting sent off.  Its not like things could get much worse for them, and maybe Minnesota could get one or two younger, talented players in return (in addition to probably taking on someone else's problem....a player like Glenn Robinson or someone).  Hopefully they can get things turned around, and at least make the playoffs.

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #137 on: February 15, 2005, 02:28 PM »
Who has he drafted that turned into a player?

It's hard to draft anyone of quality when the league takes away your picks thanks to a secret no-no deal... :-X

Of course, that doesn't really take away the blame from McHale since he was partially responsible for the whole Joe Smith thing.  Sure, McHale had to sit out for a while, but ultimately it really was the team that got punished for that because Free Agency and Trades were the only way to improve the team substantially.

Unfortunately, that's where McHale comes in again.  I don't have a problem with him as a person, but I would have much rather see him gone than Flip IMHO...

Jeff

Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #138 on: February 15, 2005, 02:54 PM »
Well, he did draft KG and Wally and Steph/Ray Allen, but beyond that, he's sucked ass at Drafting:  Will Avery, Paul Grant, Ndudi Ebi...all of which were horrible. Especially seeing who he passed up in Josh Howard.  Outside of the trades for Cassell and Spree last year he hasn't really done anything either that way

I agree that he's far more the problem than Flip was/is.  Again, its such a damn mess it makes me ill to even think about it :-X

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: February 19, 2005, 10:36 PM »
Watching the up and comers dunk contest right now :o

Amare Stoudemaire and Josh Smith are putting on one amazing show.  First dunk contest in a long time worth watching. 8)
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #140 on: February 19, 2005, 10:46 PM »
Yeah, we've been watching it too.  That header from Nash to Amare was sick!  Fun stuff, but I feel pretty bad for that stoner hippy lookin' white guy who couldn't get the ball in the basket to save his life.  What was he, about 1 for 30 on his dunk attempts?

Phoenix came pretty close to sweeping the entire day's events too.  Won 3 out of the 4 contests, with Stoudemire finishing runner up in the dunk.  Not bad!  Those guys are pretty damned fun to watch.  I'm definitely pulling for them in the second half of the season (behind my Lakers, of course).

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: February 22, 2005, 08:53 AM »
Yeah, the dunk contest wasn't too bad this year.  It is something my best friend and I have watched about every year since it started (missing the first few in the 80s).  Always been big into dunking I guess :).  Chris Andersen's showing was pathetic.  They said it took around 30 attempts for him to get 2 dunks down.  Josh Smith and Amare really both did well, but I think Smith's dunks just seemed more impressive since he had more "hang" and wasn't quite as tall.  I was pulling for Amare to win though, to complete the Phoenix sweep.  Overall, a nice All-Star weekend I thought, and fun to watch.  The game was good too, with everyone playing well it seemed.

By the way, I don't know if anyone else watched it, but earlier on Saturday TNT had an All-Star "one on one" thing where they interviewed a few of the stars.  The KG interview was really good I thought, and to me, it made me respect him even more.  This guy just wants to win...bottom line...and I think you can tell his feelings are genuine.  Also interviewed Steve Nash, so I got to see two of my favorite players up close and personal :).  Good All-Star weekend, now we're ready for the second half and the playoffs, should be interesting.  Trading deadline this week as well.  I heard over the weekend discussing a "rumored trade possibility" of the Lakers sending Odom to Sacramento for Peja and B-Jax.  Probably won't happen, but its always fun to speculate about big trades.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #142 on: February 24, 2005, 12:04 AM »
Damn.  After the mega-Moss deal in the NFL today, the NBA pulls off a whopper too.  Don't know the details yet, but they just announced that the Sacramento Kings are trading Chris Webber to the Sixers, in a 6 player deal (that doesn't sound like it involves Iverson at all).  That'll give Philly a serious shot in the arm.

Wonder what else we might see go down before tomorrow's trading deadline...

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: February 24, 2005, 08:42 AM »
Yeah, I just heard about that trade this morning Matt, quite a surprise I think (I hadn't heard it rumored anyways).  Here's how it breaks down:

Philly Receives:

F- Chris Webber
F- Matt Barnes
F/C - Michael Bradley

Sacto Receives:

F- Corliss Williamson
F/C- Brian Skinner
F- Kenny Thomas

Definitely a shot in the arm for Philly, who, if Webber stays healthy, came out pretty good on this deal I think.  Iverson and C-Webb together could be a nice combo, and they didn't have to give up their "young players" like Iguodala, Green, etc.

Other rumblings that are going down heading to the deadline are Baron Davis to the Warriors, a possibly Ray Allen for Paul Pierce swap, to name a couple.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #144 on: February 24, 2005, 10:35 AM »
As bad as the Moss trade was/is this one is much, much, much worse.  Webber for three has beens?  Come on.  If I were a Sacto fan I'd be livid

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: February 24, 2005, 12:21 PM »
That's what I thought too Scott, trade seemed odd to say the least.  I know Webber's contract is a monster, but still.  Philly has to be dancing in the streets right now, shedding some guys (and contracts) they didn't really want anyways for a perennial All-Star.  Injury or not, C-Webb can play when he's healthy.  Why Sacto didn't at least try to get Big Dog's expiring contract in the trade is beyond me.  Hearing anything up your way about Minny making any trades?  I don't know if anyone wants what they're offering :).  I see the Cavs just picked up Jiri Welsch from the Celtics for a future draft pick.  Could be a nice pick up for them.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #146 on: February 24, 2005, 12:42 PM »
Word is the only one they are shopping is Sammy C, otherwise its wait and see what happens

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
« Reply #147 on: February 24, 2005, 12:54 PM »
Word is the only one they are shopping is Sammy C, otherwise its wait and see what happens

There were some more rumblings about the possible J-Kidd deal too this AM, but I think that is more fanboy speculation than serious dealing at this point.

At this point in the year, I sure wouldn't mind Spree/Sammy C for Jason Kidd.   ;)

Jeff
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 24, 2005, 04:07 PM »
A flurry of deals at the deadline, according to ESPN...here's a rundown (short versions):

Hawks Get:

Gary Payton
Michael Stewart
Tom Gugliotta

Celtics Get:

Antoine Walker :-\ (didn't they have him once? :P)
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Warriors Get:

Baron Davis

Hornets Get:

Speedy Claxton
Dale Davis
--------------------------------------------------------------------
Sixers Get:

Jamal Mashburn (likely retiring)
Rodney Rogers

Hornets Get:

Glenn Robinson