Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100151 times)

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
Re: 2004 DVD Release List (UPDATE: THX-1138)
« Reply #270 on: March 8, 2004, 04:58 PM »
Yep, both are available. I haven't seen Sandlot, but it looks like its 2:35:1 anamorphic widescreen, and cheap to boot - 11.09 at Dvdempire.com. I have the Natural disc, and it's not too shabby at all.

No kidding about The Jerk! I won't touch that POS they released. There's a bunch of Universal comedies that need to be revisited. Top of my list is Happy Gilmore.

The Sandlot can be had at Target, and I would love to pick up Happy Gilmore with commentary by none other then Sandler himself.

I picked up Saving Private Ryan and Amistad 2 Pack for $16.00 at Costco.  They had some others I think Scarface and 2 Fast 2 Furious, and...

I was shocked that there has been no Samurai Jack DVD's other the the movie which I picked up for $5.50 at Walmart.  Full screen though :-[

Aladdin will be a must purchase.  I have not seen Nemo but IMO Disney has gone down hill or ran out of original animated movies.  Somehow Brother Bear and the new film Out on The Range, lack the creativeness that put them on top in the 80's and 90's.

BTW, has a DVD been made that has all the Slam Dunk Contests on it?  I know they have a new one out that has Dominique vs. Jordan, but would love to get them all on one DVD.  There would be nothing like seeing little ole Spudd sky in for a dunk.  Talk about hops!

-Fish-  
« Last Edit: March 8, 2004, 05:03 PM by FishEyedLouie »

SilverZ

« Reply #271 on: March 8, 2004, 05:17 PM »
Fish, totally agree on the Disney thing. I could rant about the problems they've put on themselves in the last several years all day. Did you see Treasure Planet? That one, I thought, was sadly overlooked when it came out. The directors had that in the concept stages back when the did Little Mermaid. Unfortunately a lot of the impact that the movie should have had was scrapped by PC-ness very, very late on. And, in all honestly, traditional animation's time is nearly over, sadly. Part of this has to do with the stupid (but sadly true) mentality that Disney has that they can make just as much money off releasing low to average quality animation direct to video, ala Lion King 1-1/2. What a waste.

Samurai Jack Season 1 is finally coming!

Hopefully this year we'll also get a disc of all the Clone Wars cartoons.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 8, 2004, 05:32 PM »
Very nice!  Do you think if I order it later the price will go up?  Any idea if this will be available in widescreen, I could not figure that out from Amazon.  I also noticed they are coming out with a game.  Should be fun.

-Fish-

SilverZ

« Reply #273 on: March 8, 2004, 05:38 PM »
Ooh, didn't know about the game. Cool! That should be good.

Were the Jack shows shown in widescreen on Cartoon Network? All I see is the 4:3 release for DVD. It looks like DVDsoon.com has the best online prices right now according to dvdpricesearch.com. Personally I'm wagering it can be had for 19.99 on sale on the release date.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: March 8, 2004, 05:50 PM »
Ooh, didn't know about the game. Cool! That should be good.

Were the Jack shows shown in widescreen on Cartoon Network? All I see is the 4:3 release for DVD. It looks like DVDsoon.com has the best online prices right now according to dvdpricesearch.com. Personally I'm wagering it can be had for 19.99 on sale on the release date.

I do not think so, actually I almost certain that they were not in widescreen.

-Fish-

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #275 on: March 9, 2004, 12:12 PM »
Lots of cool news from The Digital Bits today:

"It might not be the ultimate "überset" mentioned in yesterday's post, but you WILL be able to buy the complete theatrical edition of the Lord of the Rings Trilogy as a 6-disc DVD set from New Line on May 25th (SRP $89.98)."

Regarding the big-ass LOTR Extended set that everybody's been predicting:

"And here's another big of interesting Lord of the Rings DVD news, from Video Store magazine. Word from New Line Home Entertainment's senior VP of marketing, Matt Lasorsa, is that there are as yet no plans for the "überset" boxed release of the entire Trilogy on DVD. Here's a quote from Lasorsa:

“We need materials compelling enough for the überset. Even if we can find and compile those materials, we are looking at something at least a couple of years away. We would make it significantly different. We want consumers to feel it is worth it."

--------

"And Warner will release The Dukes of Hazzard: The Complete First Season on 6/1."

----------

And also, Curb Your Enthusiasm: The Complete Second Season is slated for a June 15th release (no artwork yet, however).
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

SilverZ

DVD Random Musings
« Reply #276 on: March 9, 2004, 09:23 PM »
Well I felt the urge to post pointless DVD observations,  and I didn't want to pollute Virex's useful thread, so here's a useless one.  :P

Just picked up Schindler's List today. 16.99 at Target. I don't even understand why, it's not like I have a burning desire to rush home, watch it, and depress myself. But what I noticed is that it has lovely packaging, regular DVD keepcase size but almost like a hardcover book, with a clear plastic spindle for the disc inside. The closest similar I've seen is the initial Bridge on the River Kwai pack. Anyone seen any other DVDs in this packaging?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Re: DVD Random Musings
« Reply #277 on: March 10, 2004, 12:58 AM »
If you bought the giftset of The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Extended Edition (whew) you got a Gollum DVD packaged much the same way. I haven't watched it because it would ruin the magic of Gollum for me.

I bought Schindler's List today too, though I don't think I'll get around to watching it until Saturday or Sunday. I saw the giftset, but for $60, take a hike.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #278 on: March 10, 2004, 01:14 AM »
. . .I didn't want to pollute Virex's useful thread. . .

It was polluted already, what with my name being on it and all. . .

A random DVD musing:

Target loves the ****.

Went in to buy Schindler's today, before work--and oh, what shock to see that it was nowhere to be had.

"Yeah, hi, I was looking for the Schindler's List DVD?"

"Uhhh, we didn't get our shipment. . ."

"Do you have any idea when you might get them in?"

"Well, we get another truck tomorrow, unless they do a rush shipment."

"Okay, thanks anyway."

I mean, how silly of me.

This sh!t happened the last time I went in to the same store for a product that was supposed to be out on a certain day--the new Metroid Game Boy game, last month.  I actually had to tell the guy working in electronics about this new game that was advertised to be released that day.

So, back to Schindler's--I just had to have it today, even though I can't envision a time in the future where I'll ever sit down to watch it--had to go to Wal-Mart after work to buy it, for a dollar more than what Target would have been selling it for had they not loved the **** so much.  And I hate Wal-Mart, but where the hell else am I going to buy the Schindler's List DVD at 11:30 at night?

That's right, nowhere.

Anyway, I just opened the disc up right before I hopped online, and I was thinking to myself, yeah, that is some nice packaging (even though it sucks that they did a DVD-18 and not two-discs. . .)

In addition to Kwai--Columbia also did similar, book-type packaging for the original Lawrence of Arabia disc, and then also for the original Men In Black Limited Edition, both several years ago.

Good stuff.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

SilverZ

Re: 2004 DVD Release List (UPDATE: LOTR Theatrical Trilogy)
« Reply #279 on: March 10, 2004, 01:14 AM »
This is a shocker, but I'm stoked (from DavisDVD):

Next is the Region 1 debut of Wolfgang Peterson's Das Boot: The Mini-Series in its full 6-hour version (the film was actually made for German TV). Currently available in a 210 minute theatrical version (itself a recent "director's cut"), the miniseries will clock in at 293 minutes and will be spread over three discs. Video and audio specs are, as of yet, not known but stay tuned. Retail will be $39.95.

Awesome. Slated for June 1.  ;D

SilverZ

« Reply #280 on: March 10, 2004, 01:40 AM »
Yeah, would be terrible to do a rush shipment to get product to the store on the date the company advertised it on. Gargh.

That said, Best Buy is Target's heterosexual lifemate.

Target is nothing compared to my utter ungodly hate for BEST BUY. They can truly eat it and die. Nothing ignites me more than treking to their god-foresaken store at noon on release day, hitting the DVD new release section, and seeing that they are already SOLD OUT of a title advertised (and screenshots on every stupid TV screen in the ad) as little as 2 hours after they opened.

--- this has been another random DVD musing ---

HMI, what's on that Gollum DVD? Is it worth the cost of the set?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #281 on: March 10, 2004, 01:49 AM »
I wouldn't bother with the boxed set. The statue included makes me uncomfortable, and I can't bring myself to watch the Gollum DVD. Meh. I understand that the DVD is all about the creation and evolution of Gollum, like how they made him and stuff.

I hate Best Buy too. I went there a few weeks ago to score GI Joe Season 1 Part 1, and  all I found was the miniseries DVD and idiot employees saying 'that's the only one we got.' Still to this day haven't found it, but I lost interest anyway.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: March 10, 2004, 01:58 AM »
I went there a few weeks ago to score GI Joe Season 1 Part 1, and  all I found was the miniseries DVD and idiot employees saying 'that's the only one we got.' Still to this day haven't found it, but I lost interest anyway.

If you're still interested at all in the Joe pack, I got mine from Buy.com for like $33 bucks shipped, which is way cheaper than whatever Best Buy has it for.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: March 10, 2004, 02:00 AM »
Lots of cool news from The Digital Bits today:

"And Warner will release The Dukes of Hazzard: The Complete First Season on 6/1."

I am SOOOO all over this when it comes out
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 02:00 AM by jjks »

SilverZ

« Reply #284 on: March 10, 2004, 02:02 AM »
You're probably better off. I got GI Joe through Buy.com for pretty cheap. Threw in Disc 1 and was annoyed that they used a different season's opening at the start. Lame. Got through about 3 episodes and felt like my brain was going to explode. It hasn't aged well. It seemed to rock when you're a kid.