Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100721 times)

SilverZ

Re: 2004 DVD Release List
« Reply #525 on: June 28, 2004, 03:09 PM »
DigitalBits posted the cover art for Shawshank Redemption SE, which is hitting in the Fall. Point of interest being the new art they've commissioned from Drew Struzan. Proves he's still got it, as opposed to the quick and dirty, LFL over-dictated Indy supplement disc art:

Its strange how there's still a lingering subconscious link to Star Wars in this movie, when witnessing this art. I remember going to the theater to see Shawshank, purely on the rumor that Frank Darabont had been hired to write a draft of Episode 1. Oh, the disappointment and  horror of what we got instead. "I'm a person, and my name is Anakin."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #526 on: June 29, 2004, 01:31 PM »
Pee-wee's Playhouse: The Complete Series (Nov 30th)

Didn't hear about this one...any details?

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: June 29, 2004, 01:36 PM »
I'm picking this up on the way to work tonight.  ;D

SilverZ

« Reply #528 on: June 29, 2004, 07:49 PM »
So I picked up Land of the Lost. The video quality is pretty bad. Alright, terrible. It looks like they've used analog NTSC broadcast masters from 1980 - but we're talking about something that has had no love since at least then, so... oh well. The audio also clips... alot. It's a pretty sketchy package for preservation's sake.

However - there's awesome commentary on some of the episodes. You too can learn useless knowledge like the fact that the main Sleestak was played by Bill Laimbeer. There's also a commentary by Walter Koenig on an episode he wrote. Yes, Chekov.

Oh, and Costco had Blazing Saddles SE for 11.99. Pretty sweet.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: June 29, 2004, 10:19 PM »
yeah, i wanted to pick up that land of the lost, but read some horrid reviews of it so i'm gonna pass. maybe i'll rent it sometime. picked up the spider-man 67 box set. that thing rocks. haven't had a chance to watch any of the eps yet, but maybe hopefully this weekend i'll have some down time.

oh yeah, picked up south park season 4 and the blazing saddles 30th anniversary. how could i not?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #530 on: June 29, 2004, 10:33 PM »
Anyone listen to the Campfire scene at Full Volume Yet?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #531 on: June 30, 2004, 09:57 AM »
I saw the Spider-Man '67 set at Target this morning, something I may want to pick up down the line.  One of the local affiliates ran that back in the mid-80's in the early morning and I watched it pretty religiously.  Same goes for Spider-Man and his Amazing Friends at the same time with IceMan and Firestar

SilverZ

« Reply #532 on: July 1, 2004, 11:07 PM »
Finally got my first batch of DDD sale discs, Robotech Remastered #3 and Curb Your Enthusiasm Seas2. I'm pretty stoked on the Robotech, since it came in a big box with a random transforming toy dealy-thinger. Not bad for 13.00 shipped. Now that I'm moving into TV show territory, their next sale in December may prove disasterous for my wallet.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #533 on: July 2, 2004, 02:33 PM »
Anyone know if Dune is coming sometime soon with an all new SUper-Special edition?  

There seem to be 3 versions of the movie floating around and I'm thinking about picking one up, anyone have this or have any recommendations?

SilverZ

« Reply #534 on: July 2, 2004, 08:40 PM »
I'd honestly wait. There's been a lot of talk lately of a proper special edition release with a new 16x9 enhanced transfer, in fact DigitalBits just mentioned it:

We've gotten very tentative early word from a retail source that Universal may be working on a number of interesting catalog special editions for release later in 2004. Among the titles that are reportedly in the works are Jay Roach's Meet the Parents (presumably to coincide with the release of Meet the Fockers in theaters), John Carpenter's The Thing and (gasp!) David Lynch's Dune. We're working to get additional confirmation on this. Dune would be huge... but anything less than Criterion-level treatment would be a shame.

I snooped around the Unversal Home Video site and the current Dune DVD and VHS are out of print. That won't last too long. There's also been special editions of varying quality released in Germany and Japan in the last year or two. A new one has to be coming, and the existing DVD is a steaming turd.

EDIT: Typo city.
« Last Edit: July 2, 2004, 08:54 PM by Tydirium »

SilverZ

« Reply #535 on: July 7, 2004, 03:42 AM »
I can die, at long last:

Red Heat: Special Edition. The Arnold Schwarzenegger and Jim Belushi 1988 actioner (which, incidentally, was the first American movie ever to film in Russia's famed Red Square) will cram its way into the already crowded September 7th release date with a newly remastered 1.85 anamorphic widescreen transfer, DD5.1 and 2.0 Surround tracks. Extras will include the new "East Meets West" making-of documentary featuring new interviews with cast and crew, "I'm Not Russian, But I Play One on TV: Ed O'Ross" and "Bennie Dobbins: A Stunt Man for All Seasons" featurettes, a vintage "making-of" TV special, TV spots and theatrical trailers. Retail is $19.98.

Red Heat. 16x9. Hurray for my bad movie taste!

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 7, 2004, 09:07 AM »
ha! red heat... now, where's my "stone cold" special edition dvd starring brian bosworth??  ;D

Offline Pee Wee Herman

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 7, 2004, 01:25 PM »
Buy My Great Movie on DVD!

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #538 on: July 7, 2004, 01:31 PM »
P.W....any word on Pee-Wee's Playhouse coming out on DVD like Virex's list says?

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #539 on: July 7, 2004, 02:34 PM »
P.W....any word on Pee-Wee's Playhouse coming out on DVD like Virex's list says?

Nevermind...I found it myself

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1653

November 9