Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100154 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Major DVD Release List for Fall '03
« Reply #75 on: November 3, 2003, 11:49 AM »
I check the page 1 list Matt, lets me know if I've missed anything for ye olde holiday wishlist...

Pearl Jam fans can see a trailer of the Live at the Garden DVD here

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/chords/liveatgarden.html

That show was one of the greatest shows of the 2003 tour, good choice for the DVD...can't wait

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #76 on: November 3, 2003, 11:55 AM »
Pearl Jam fans can see a trailer of the Live at the Garden DVD here

http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/chords/liveatgarden.html

(checking the link)

Oh, so that's what the deal is with the two covers--one's a slipcase!  In a thread about the DVD over at DVD Talk, people were confused as to which was the official cover.  That's cool.

Should be a nice set. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #77 on: November 3, 2003, 04:04 PM »
Okay, gang - The Digital Bits has just started posting their review of the Quadrilogy set.

So far, they've reviewed the first two discs - Alien and the Alien extras disc:

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/reviews3/alienquad00.html

Looks like they're going to stagger out their reviews of the rest of the set, in the hours/days to come--their site has been really busy today, for obvious reasons.

Amazing stuff. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #78 on: November 5, 2003, 02:13 AM »
Well, I hit up Walmart tonight to snag the new Finding Nemo flick (that I never saw in theaters) for the cheapest price around ($14.24), and stumbled upon some other nice deals too.  Turned out to be a little bit of a spending spree.  Picked up Lion King for a little cheaper at $14.24 as well (you never know when you'll need an extra $0.75  :P), and then I stumbled upon a nice new price for the Widescreen boxset of the Indy flicks - for only $37.84!   8)  Beats the hell out of the $45 price from Best Buy I paid a couple weeks ago, though I've now got to figure out if their exclusive bonus disc is worth the extra $7...  Anyone have it, and care to comment?

Then I splurged even more by picking up the Battlestar Galactica boxset for only $76.24, which is by far the cheapest I've seen it anywhere so far (unless I missed a better price posted by Virex somewhere, which is highly likely...)  I haven't decided if I'm going to keep that set yet or not since I haven't heard such great things about it, but I figured I'd snag it for cheap now, and give myself a few months to decide (without actually opening it).  Yeah, I'm weird like that...   ::)

Picked up several other DVDs there too, before finally getting the will power to get my ass out of there without doing any further damage!  Definitely some good prices to be found there right now though, so you might want to stop in your local one if you're passing by it this week...

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 5, 2003, 11:21 AM »
I picked up Finding Nemo yesterday. I have not had a chance to watch it thus far.

As for the Indy bonus disc, which I mentioned is just under 10 minutes long containing some behind the scenes of Indiana Jones ROTLA. Mostly behind the camera. Neat seeing some of the stuff.

I'm an Indy fan so is it worth the extra $7, maybe $3. Though I do like the little stuffed fish they gave me when I got Finding Nemo!   ;D

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 10, 2003, 12:08 AM »
i can't wait to get that alien box set. although from what i've seen so far, it's only available as a fullscreen version? if that's the case, then the hell with it. i have the legacy box set, and i'm definitely a widescreen kinda guy.

i'm also pretty stoked about:

pearl jam live at the garden (even tho i got it already  :P)
lotr:tt extended edition
space ghost coast to coast
aqua teen hunger force (which wasn't listed on your, uhmm... list)
the adventures of ford fairlane
south park season 3
alias season 2

plus there's probably a bunch of other movies that i'm sure i'll get between now and the end of the year...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #81 on: November 10, 2003, 12:27 AM »
i can't wait to get that alien box set. although from what i've seen so far, it's only available as a fullscreen version? if that's the case, then the hell with it. i have the legacy box set, and i'm definitely a widescreen kinda guy.

It's in widescreen, and only in widescreen, as far as I know.  Fox would be crazy to release something like that pan-and-scan only.

Speaking of which, Amazon's got it for $69.99 with free shipping right now, which is the best price that I know of. . .

aqua teen hunger force (which wasn't listed on your, uhmm... list)

Yeah, it's not on the list.  Coming out next week, I believe, but not on the list.  C'est la vie. . .

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 10, 2003, 12:36 AM »
yeah, i kinda wondered why on the fox website it has the box set listed as p&s only... didn't make any sense to me. i thought the same thing you did... fox would be crazy to release this set as only p&s... as a matter of fact, if you go to the link to the fox website, it says "full frame"

http://www2.foxstore.com/detail.html?item=919

kinda had me a little confused...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #83 on: November 10, 2003, 12:39 AM »

Of course, pretty much the biggest DVD this week is Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines, and it's been getting some pretty nice reviews so far:

HTF DVD REVIEW: "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines" w/scrnshts (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED)

DVDFile review

Video: 4.5/5
Audio: 4.5/5
Extras: 3/5
ROM: 1.5/5
Value: 3.5/5

The Digital Bits' Review

Video: A-
Audio: B+
Extras: C+

As far as prices go, it looks like Best Buy, Circuit City, K-Mart, and Target are all coming in at $15.99.  The only real store-exclusive that I know of is at Best Buy, where they're giving away what they're calling a "Content Card" (featuring movie screen shots, production concept art, plus wallpaper and screen saver downloads!)

The only price I've seen lower than $15.99 is at the Ultimate Electronics chain, which I know not everyone has in their area.  They've got it advertised for $14.88 this week--not too shabby.

Until next time. . .

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #84 on: November 10, 2003, 12:48 AM »
yeah, i kinda wondered why on the fox website it has the box set listed as p&s only... didn't make any sense to me. i thought the same thing you did... fox would be crazy to release this set as only p&s... as a matter of fact, if you go to the link to the fox website, it says "full frame"

http://www2.foxstore.com/detail.html?item=919

kinda had me a little confused...

Yeah, I saw that when they made the announcement last week.  Strange, but I'll bet it's just a typo on the part of whoever inputted the information.

If you'll look at some of the reviews that the websites have posted, they're all reviewing widescreen versions.  For several years now, Fox has been one of the best studios when it comes to releasing widescreen DVDs--in fact, I can't think of anything in recent memory that they've released in pan-and-scan only.

Speaking of reviews of Alien Quadrilogy, here's the one from DVD File:

Video: 5/5
Audio: 4.5/5
Extras: 5/5
ROM: 2/5
Value: 4.5/5

Amazin'!

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #85 on: November 10, 2003, 11:03 AM »
i'm also pretty stoked about:

space ghost coast to coast

No way! I had no idea there were even plans to release this! $25 for a 2 DVD, 18 show set is a steal. Thankfully, it's the 1st season(s), w/ Brak still. SG2C2 isn't the same w/o him.

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 16, 2003, 02:27 PM »
Extended Editon of The Two Towers:

Walmart:   $25.87 Regular and $55.87 boxed

Shopko:     $22.99 Regular and $59.99 boxed

K-mart:       $29.99 Regular and $69.99 boxed

Best Buy:    $24.99 Regular and  (forget to write down boxed)

my local Walmart will probably change their price when they see what Shopko's is at (I got the Walmart information from the girl working in electronics, nothing posted yet).
Beth

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #87 on: November 16, 2003, 02:45 PM »
Thanks, Jadesfire!  Saves me a little bit of work.   8)  As for some other prices:

Best Buy Gift Set: $59.99

Circuit City Extended: $24.99

Circuit City Gift Set: $59.99

Target Extended: $24.99

Target Gift Set: $69.99

Twenty-five bucks for what's probably 2003's best DVD for a single film is a no-brainer. . .

Here's a review or two:

DVD File

Video: 5/5
Audio: 5/5
Extras: 5/5
ROM: 2/5
Value: 5/5

The Digital Bits

Film Rating: A

Disc Ratings (Video/Extras): A/A+

Audio Ratings (DD/DTS): A-/A

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #88 on: November 16, 2003, 04:00 PM »
Question for you guys... I really wanna pick up X2 upon release... But will there be a 2.5 version? I don't wanna buy it if it'll be upgraded in a couple of months.

:-*

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 16, 2003, 04:04 PM »
i don't know for sure, but i wouldn't doubt it. pisses me off when they do crap like that  >:(