Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100737 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: Major DVD Release List for Fall '03
« Reply #45 on: October 2, 2003, 12:05 AM »
They moved Fargo to Minnesota?   :P :-*
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #46 on: October 7, 2003, 02:34 PM »
Picked up Christmas Story and Christmas Vacation today at Best Buy, $19.99 and $14.99 respectively

PJ @ MSG Cover Art

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #47 on: October 7, 2003, 04:04 PM »
Sweet cover art - is that going to be holographic or what?

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 8, 2003, 07:07 AM »
Picked up the little known movie The Lion King today ;)  I haven't gotten around to the extras but the transfer is excellent - almost digital like.  Good stuff from my one of favorite Disney movies, the other being The Little Mermaid.

I have some serious backlog that I have to catch up on buying wise.  I still haven't picked up:

-Simpsons season 3
-Family Guy volume 2
-CSI season 2
-A Christmas Story (didn't even see in the stores yesterday >:()
-Vacation 4 pack - ditto with ACS, I held off on Vacation because this was coming out and didn't see it at all.

And there's a ton on my guzzlefish wish list that were released a while ago that I would like to pick up: Seven, One Flew Over the Cuckcoo's Nest, GIJoe mini series, Transformers seasons, etc.  

Damn I might need to get another job or have a big Xmas list.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: October 8, 2003, 02:35 PM »
I picked up Lion King yesterday too, at Target for $16.  Looks like Circuit City's got them beat by a buck though.  Anyone know of a cheaper price than that?

Love this list Virex!  Keeps me up to date on what to be looking for from week to week.  Thanks!

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #50 on: October 12, 2003, 12:33 AM »
Well since this is a topic on DVD's, I thought I would share with you my new toy I picked up yesterday.

How's the overall image quality of that unit?  I have never seen a Polaroid brand of those before.  I have seen only a few different makes/models of portable DVD players, and they're all totally generic names.  I've been wanting one of those for a while, because they would be great when going on trips.
dustrho

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2003, 12:35 AM »
I can't wait to get "The Matrix: Reloaded" on Tuesday!  I don't think it was a better movie than the first, but it was still a great movie.  I also can't wait for "Revolutions" to come out in theaters this November.   ;D
dustrho

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2003, 12:41 AM »
The picture quality is great. I have used it at work since I got it & the other workers love it. Some even went & bought there own. I even bought little Koss speakers to spread the sound out better. Guess you could say it was the Best Buy I have ever made!  ;D

I too am looking forward to The Matrix: Reloaded.  8)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 12, 2003, 10:02 AM »
I'll be at Best Buy right after work on Tuesday.  Got a gift certificate to use and everything for my Matrix Reloaded DVD.  I'm wondering what the bonus features are going to be like.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #54 on: October 12, 2003, 11:39 AM »
I'll be at Best Buy right after work on Tuesday.  Got a gift certificate to use and everything for my Matrix Reloaded DVD.  I'm wondering what the bonus features are going to be like.

Yeah, the couple reviews I've glanced through, haven't been just overwhelmingly positive about TMR's extra features, but generally positive overall because the presentation of the film is so good.  Here's a couple of links:

The Digital Bits' The Matrix Reloaded DVD Review

Film Rating: B-
Video Rating: A
Audio Rating: A
Extras Rating: C-

DVD File's The Matrix Reloaded DVD Review

Video: 5/5
Audio: 5/5
Extras: 3/5
ROM Content: 3/5
Value: 4/5

So, the film presentation itself sounds like it's going to be quite good, especially if you've got a home theatre set up of some kind.

And, right now, it looks like Best Buy will be the best place to pick up TMR this week:  $14.99, and there's a Best Buy-exclusive bonus disc included with over thirty minutes of additional content.  Exactly what that is, I don't know, but more is always better.  (And more news on Best Buy in my next post. . .)

Target's got it listed for $15.99.  Don't know yet on Circuit City, since they don't really run weekly ads anymore here in OKC.

EDIT:  Looks like Circuit will have it for $14.99, matching Best Buy, but I'd still pick it up at The Buy, just for the bonus disc.  But that's just me.  :)

And also, TMR's available in both wide and fool-screen, so make sure you get the right one.  This is one flick that would look especially crappy in pan-and-scan.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2003, 01:56 PM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #55 on: October 12, 2003, 11:45 AM »
Now, for that Best Buy news. . .

I know that a lot of folks here buy their DVDs at Best Buy and I know that a lot of you eat at McDonald's, so here's something I ran across this evening, which might prove helpful for all of the DVDs due in the next month:

Apparently, from October 14th to November 10th, if you buy Large or Super Size French Fries, you'll get at least one "Best Buy Buck" that you can use toward whatever at Best Buy.  Some of the Best Buy Bucks will also be for $5 or $10, and you could also win Best Buy gift cards from $50 to $5000.

Here's a link to a thread at DVD Talk for more:

HOT! Eat McDonald's Fries - Get Best Buy Bucks for DVDs! 10/14-11/10

Now, personally, I can't stand McDonald's "hamburgers" (haven't had one in two and a half years), but their fries are always good, and this is a fairly decent deal if you buy your DVDs from Best Buy in between meals from McDonald's.

Starts Tuesday. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #56 on: October 13, 2003, 07:22 PM »
All right, kids, the first reviews for The Adventures of Indiana Jones - The Complete DVD Movie Collection are starting to roll in:

The Digital Bits' review

Film Ratings (Raiders/Temple/Crusade): A/B-/A-
Video (Raiders/Temple/Crusade): B+/A-/A-
Audio (for all): A-
Extras: B

The review mentions that this is probably the best these films will ever look, and also notes something which really hasn't gotten too much attention--all of the work that went into cleaning up the individual prints; i.e. fixing scratches, removing dirt, etc.

Also of note are some minor cosmetic corrections that have been made in order to fix some technical goofs that, for whatever reason, weren't corrected when the films were released.  Don't worry--this is nothing along the lines of Lucas raping fixing the original Star Wars trilogy--just minor things like taking out the reflection of the cobra in the glass in between Indy and the snake when he falls into the Well of Souls.  According to the review, another thirteen things were corrected, although I'm betting that most will be so minor that we probably won't even notice.

Anyway, here's another review for it, this time from DVD File:

DVD File's review

Video: 4.5/5
Audio: 4/5
Extras: 3/5
ROM: 3/5
Value:  4/5

I'll post more on Indy later this week, once the different prices for next week start to roll in.

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: October 13, 2003, 07:38 PM »
I'm still looking forward to the release of this Indy Trilogy. I really don't know if I want to watch Temple of Doom (shudder) as it was not the best one made IMO but hey, ya can't have everything done right!  ;)

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2003, 09:23 PM »
So, if it's not bad enough that I bug everyone at the office for Liquid Loot points, now I have to start having them keep the labels off their fries......oh...they are REALLY gonna love me now.   :-* :D ;D

I'm seeing free dvd's in my future!!  

PS:  Thanks for all your updates Virex.
Beth

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 16, 2003, 02:06 AM »
Haven't seen this mentioned yet; excuse me if I missed it. Costco is selling some 2-packs of dvds for $20. It includes a certificate for $10 off for the upcoming Indy boxed set.

The only 2-pack I like consists of We Were Soldiers and Apocalypse Now: Redux. (But 1 set is all I need to get the certificate.)

I can't remember the exact pairings, but some movies are: Enemies at the Gate, Payback, Along Came a Spider; a few of the Jack Ryan movies.