Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100867 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Major DVD Release List for Fall '03
« Reply #60 on: October 17, 2003, 10:58 AM »
All right.  Here's a pic from Paramount's Indiana Jones DVD event held last weekend.  I'm posting this for no reason other than Alison Doody is an absolute fox.   8)

(The woman on the far right is AFI CEO Jean Picker Firstenberg...)

Thanks, Digital Bits!

But, moving on. . .

Added and linked a bunch more titles for early 2004--check 'em out if you want.  The newly announced Planet of the Apes: 35th Anniversary Edition, coming in February, should be a nice release.

More later. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Jango Fettish

« Reply #61 on: October 17, 2003, 12:01 PM »
Underworld is set for 1/6/04..

Heres F vs J cover art, as well..

Of course, neither this or the movie poster make sense since Jason is quite a bit taller than Freddy, but oh well.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2003, 12:02 PM by Junkyard Junkie »

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #62 on: October 17, 2003, 12:06 PM »
Maybe he's leaning over to look at him eye to eye?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Keeping up with the Joneses
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2003, 03:54 PM »
Okay, folks, here's the deal with the Indiana Jones prices this week:

Best Buy:  "Hot Price" ($44.99)

*There is an exclusive bonus disc at Best Buy, included on-pack with the box set.  Here's what their ad has to say about it:

Own all 3 Indiana Jones movies for the first time on DVD, a 4th bonus DVD Making The Trilogy, PLUS a Best Buy Exclusive 5th DVD Raiders Of The Lost Ark Classic Featurette.  This disc has rarely-seen footage and exclusive scenes featuring the cast and crew of this beloved film. While supplies last.  Minimum 250 per store.  No rainchecks.

People have been reporting that the bonus disc is around ten minutes long.  I have no idea what exactly is on it, or how good (or lame) it is, or if most of the same stuff is covered in the fourth disc in the box, or if this will be available elsewhere in the future.  If you're a big Indy fan, though (as I think a lot of us are), it might be worth tracking down.

Target: Low Price ($45.99)

*Free 12-pack of Dr. Pepper with purchase of the Trilogy

Toys 'R' Us: $49.99

*Don't bother

Circuit City: (reportedly) $49.99

*Don't bother

Wal-Mart:  ?

*I'm assuming that most Wal-Marts will probably beat Best Buy's price of $44.99 by a few cents, so it might be worth checking there if you don't care about Best Buy's bonus disc.

Eckerd: $34.99

*Yes, you read that right:  Eckerd.  (I realize that not everyone has Eckerd stores where they live.)  Now, if you do have Eckerd stores in your area, here's the deal:  They've got the fool-screen version (light brown box) pictured in their ad, and reportedly, that's all they'll be carrying.  So, more than likely, no widescreen (dark brown box) at Eckerd.  However, I would imagine that you could probably take an Eckerd ad to a store that price-matches, like Best Buy or Wal-Mart, and have them price-match Eckerd for $34.99 for you.  Best Buy may or may not do it, since they have the exclusive bonus disc, but who knows.  It's worth a shot.  It's been my experience that Wal-Mart is usually pretty pain-less when it comes to price-matching, too.  I wouldn't think that anyone would give you a problem with price-matching the widescreen version, either.

Fry's: (reportedly) $39.99

*Fry's is an electronics chain in the southwestern states, and I don't have any where I live, so that's all I know.

Costco:  ?

*I don't have any Costcos in my area, either, but apparently they've got some kind of deal going on where if you buy a two-pack of some DVDs, you get a coupon for $10 off the Indy set or something, which would apparently put the Indy set at around $30 or so.  If you've got Costcos where you live, this might be worth checking into--sounds like a decent deal.

Online stores

*After a quick check at DVD Price Search, it looks like the lowest online price for the set right now is right around the $45 mark (this is, of course, not considering any coupons or discounts you may have).  

Deep Discount DVD:  $44.29 - free shipping
Best Buy: $44.99 - free shipping
Buy.com: $44.99 - free shipping
Amazon: $45.49 - free shipping

All for now.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2003, 04:03 PM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: October 21, 2003, 01:13 PM »
I got my Indy DVD set with the bonus DVD which is just under 10 minutes long. A quick look at behind the scenes of Indiana Jones ROTLA.  8)

I'll be watching the flicks this week at work!   ;D

Offline Jedi Idej

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 21, 2003, 08:43 PM »
Costco retails it for ~$43. (~$33 with the coupon. Woohooo.)

Stopped by Fry's around lunchtime today. Didn't see any. Either they were doling them from a counter out or they were totally out.

Also saw the BSG set at Costco for *gulp* $80. And I understand it's even more at other places. *gulp* *gulp*

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: October 28, 2003, 08:10 AM »
Good news for Godzilla fans.  Two new discs set to hit January 6th, Godzilla Mothra Ghidorah (GMK) and Godzilla vs. Megaguirus.  Here's the cover art

GMK

GvM
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 28, 2003, 02:49 PM »
Picked up The Looney Toons Golden Collection at WM during lunch for $42 and change.  I was going to wait until Xmas and give it to the wife, but I don't know if I can wait that long for classic LT goodness.  I might give it to her as an early present.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 28, 2003, 03:41 PM »
Courtesy of thedigitalbits.com, The Towers Extended Edition added scenes are described.  Looks to be excellent - no surprise there.  Can't wait.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #69 on: November 2, 2003, 09:16 PM »
All right, kids, here are the deals for Finding Nemo - coming out Tuesday:

Best Buy: $15.99
-Free Finding Nemo Case Logic CD/DVD Wallet instantly, with purchase of Finding Nemo DVD.  Minimum 65 per store.  No rainchecks.  In store only.

Target: $14.99
-Save $1.50 on 5-pk. or larger Orville Redenbacher's popcorn with purchase of Finding Nemo on VHS or DVD.

Circuit City:  $14.99
-Free Finding Nemo mousepad with purchase of the DVD

(They'll also give you 10% off the price of any DVD player with the purchase of Finding Nemo)

Ultimate Electronics: $14.95
(Don't think that too many people have UE stores where they live, though)

Toys 'R' Us: $19.99
-Blah.

Wal-Mart:  ???
-As always, no idea on what their "official" price will be, but I would expect them to come in at less than $14.99, to beat Target and Circuit.

Costco: $17.99

Sam's Club: $19.24

Amazon:  $19.49

And, I believe that the disc has both the widescreen and the wrong-screen versions on it, so don't worry about trying to find the wide.

More later. . .

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #70 on: November 3, 2003, 01:06 AM »
Wal-Mart:  ???
-As always, no idea on what their "official" price will be, but I would expect them to come in at less than $14.99, to beat Target and Circuit.

$14.87, with a free CD-ROM of "Finding Nemo" related kids computer games.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 3, 2003, 07:13 AM »
Not that anyone probably cares, but I need a CD holder for traveling and I'm too cheap to buy one, so I'll spend the extra dollar at Best Buy and get the Finding Nemo one.  Time to flaunt my geekness.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #72 on: November 3, 2003, 08:34 AM »
Big news today from The Digital Bits - apparently, Fox is getting set to announce the Alien Quadrilogy set for a December 2nd release.

Looks like everything's been ready to go for a while; they just wanted to wait until Alien was theatrically re-released before they announced the DVD set.

Anyway--I'll go ahead and update the list now.

Speaking of which--do any of you guys bother to check the list on the first page anymore?  Or do you just check the latest posts in the thread?

Just curious. . .

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #73 on: November 3, 2003, 10:31 AM »
Oh, and I guess there's a new "Weird Al" video collection that's coming out tomorrow, as well--I know he has some fans here.

The "Weird Al" Yankovic Ultimate Video Collection

Amazon - $13.99
Best Buy - $19.99
Circuit City - $15.99

More about the Alien Quadrilogy set later this afternoon. . .

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #74 on: November 3, 2003, 11:48 AM »
From USA Today:

Get a box of 'Alien' films on DVD

By Mike Snider, USA TODAY

The Alien invasion will go beyond theaters when a monstrous nine-disc Alien Quadrilogy box set arrives Dec. 2.
Over the weekend, Alien returned to theaters on 347 screens, bringing in a modest $1.04 million. The re-release was designed to draw attention to next month's DVD release of the original movie that made Sigourney Weaver a star in 1979, plus its three sequels.

The $99.98 set includes versions of the four Alien films not yet seen on home video:

•Alien can be watched in the original version or the new director's cut now playing in theaters.

• The 1986 sequel, Aliens, is available on DVD for the first time, with director James Cameron's special edition as well.

• Alien 3 (1992) has more than 30 minutes of new footage.

•Alien Resurrection (1997) has alternate opening and ending scenes.

Each movie also has its own accompanying disc of extras, and the ninth disc has a new interview with Alien director Ridley Scott. Scott and Weaver, who starred in all four films, also take part in a new commentary on the film.

One creature feature sure to pique fan interest: A multi-angle study of the "chest-buster scene," in which a hatched alien emerges from the stomach of Kane (John Hurt).

"Some of the background anecdotes and information about the shoot and setup — particularly (actress) Veronica Cartwright's reflection on the shock of getting soaked in jets of blood — are the type of thing that really sets DVD apart as an entertainment format," says Peter Staddon, senior vice president of marketing for Twentieth Century Fox Home Entertainment.

In total, the Alien Quadrilogy set has about 45 hours of previously unseen material. On Jan. 6, the films will be available individually on DVD for $26.98 each.

Anyone catch that last part?

Now--I'm a sucker for the box-set-type stuff, so I'll still definitely be getting the Quadrilogy, but that's great news for those people who only wanted to get the first one and/or two.

And--what great, if not devious, marketing that is.  Release the box before Christmas, and then release them all separately afterward.  That's funny.

More later. . .