Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100730 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: Major DVD Release List for Fall '03/Winter '04
« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2003, 08:17 PM »
Confession time...I've never seen a single Aliens movie  :(

With that said, what should I do, I've fairly certain I'd enjoy them, so should I look at picking up the full set in December or wait until January and only get whichever one is "best"?

Well, I would probably say that the first two are essential to having a good movie collection.  However, a lot of folks hate the last two just as much as they love the first two.  If I were you, I would wait until January, and buy the first two seperately for the forty bucks or so, as opposed to dropping seventy on the box.  Or, you could rent them (the 1999 discs) all now, watch them, and if you like the last two, you could spring for the box next month.

Me, I've seen the first three (still haven't seen Resurrection yet), but because I'm a total sucker for stuff like it, I'll be picking up the box next month.  I have no doubts that the first two are going to be amazing, and I'm interested to see what they are going to do with Alien3.  

Another option would be to pick up the 1999 discs on Ebay or something on the cheap, because surely people will be dumping their old ones in favor of the new ones.  However, all of the reviews I've read so far are saying that the new discs kick the crap out of the old ones, in terms of, well, everything.

And on another note, I miss you Virex, but not in a gay way.

Well maybe a little bit  :-X

Well, thanks.  I miss you too, but only in a gay way.  Odd, that, since I'm not homosexual.  

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2003, 08:18 PM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: November 22, 2003, 07:57 PM »
i snagged a copy of bruce almighty and had a chance to watch it yesterday. i had already seen the fick, but thought it was funny, probably the funniest movie of the year. incredibly funny movie, imo, but the deleted scenes are great. there's about 30 minutes of deleted scenes and 7 minutes of bloopers included as the special features. sometimes i wonder why they cut scenes out of movies... there's a scene where after bruce gets his powers he does a news broadcast while diving out of a plane, which is hysterically funny... no idea why it was cut. but it was great to see that scene...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #107 on: November 25, 2003, 12:40 PM »
Anyone else hear that the Episode I and II DVDs are going out-of-print/on moratorium on December 31st?

Not that anyone here doesn't have them already, but I found that kind of curious.

There's a thought that they're going OOP in order to be re-released next fall with the Special Edition Trilogy. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline jadesfire

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: November 25, 2003, 01:44 PM »
Nope, didn't read anything about that, Virex.  Interesting....

As for this weeks releases, I still have to pick up X2.  I think Best Buy has it for $15.99, a buck more than Wal-mart.  Not interested in Bruce Almighty but I'd better check the kid's lists because I think my son mentioned that one before.  
Between the DVD's and soundtracks coming out, it's a wonder I have cash left for toys!!! :P
Beth

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: November 25, 2003, 01:59 PM »
Circuit City and Target have X2 for $14.99, but at BB you can get either ID4 or Abyss for 6.99 with an X2 purchase.  These aren't the two discs versions of the movies, just the first disc from the two disk set (if that makes any sense)  Since I already have ID4, I got the Abyss.  
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2003, 10:22 PM »
Recent snags include X2 and Sinbad.  Not much else between them and Nemo.  

Grabbed a couple of Muppet movies for the Mrs. for Christmas.  

Are you guys seeing the two packs with Episodes I & II in them down there?  I hadn't seen these prior to a couple of weeks ago.  A few bucks savings, but I haven't seen anything but wrong screen versions.  
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #111 on: November 26, 2003, 10:35 PM »
Are you guys seeing the two packs with Episodes I & II in them down there?  I hadn't seen these prior to a couple of weeks ago.  A few bucks savings, but I haven't seen anything but wrong screen versions.  

Yeah, Fox only put the fool-screen versions in the two-pack, as far as I know.  If there's a widescreen two-pack out there, I've never heard of it.

Another thought with the OOP news is that Fox might be releasing them as one-disc, movie-only versions in the near-future.  Fox has done that with quite a few DVDs over the past couple of years--coming out with the loaded two-disc special editions of a movie first, and then putting it OOP and releasing a basic one-disc version months or years later.

Too bad if that happens, really--the documentary on The Phantom Menace's second disc, "The Beginning", is probably more entertaining and interesting than either of the two proper prequel films themselves. . .

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: November 26, 2003, 11:02 PM »
picked up the alien quadrilogy boxset and pirates of the caribbean today. guess what i'm doing tomorrow??  ;D

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #113 on: November 26, 2003, 11:55 PM »
...guess what i'm doing tomorrow??  ;D

Uh...  Eating turkey?!   :D

Nice (early) score there Dave!  You lucky dog...   >:(  Can't wait for Pirates, and I'll probably pick up the Alien set as well, but only after a while when I can find it on a good sale.  Only really need the first two movies therein (like many folks)...

LMK if there's any deleted scenes on Pirates!  Haven't heard much about that, that I recall...  Thanks!

- M

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: November 27, 2003, 12:15 AM »
well, since i work at a video place we always get new stuff early. i just didn't think we'd get it this early, to be honest. but i'm not complaining... i never got to see pirates but i heard some good things, and some not so good things....

"19 deleted and alternate scenes" - or so it says on the back of the thing. plus a blooper reel, and lots more...

Commentary by director Gore Verbinski and Star Johnny Depp
Commentary by producer Jerry Bruckheimer and Stars Keira Knightley And Jack Davenport
Commentary by writers Stuart Beattie, Ted Elliot & Terry Rossio and Jay Wolpert
An Epic At Sea: The Making of "Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl"
19 Deleted and Alternate Scenes
"Moonlight" Scene Progression
"Below Deck" - An Interactive History Of Pirates
"Fly on the Set" Featurette
"Diary of a Pirate" - Behind-the-Scenes look with cast member Lee Arenberg
"Diary of a Ship" Video Journal
"Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color" - Archival TV Program
Producer's Diary Featurette With Jerry Bruckheimer
Image Gallery
Blooper Reel
DVD-ROM Features: "Moonlight Becomes Ye" Effects Studio, History of the Ride Featurette, Virtual Reality Viewer, Scriptscanner & Storyboard Viewing Modes
Widescreen anamorphic format
Number of discs: 2

just an fyi - i copied and pasted that info from amazon... you didn't think i would use the caps key, did you??  :D
« Last Edit: November 27, 2003, 12:18 AM by jokabofe »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #115 on: November 27, 2003, 12:24 PM »
"19 deleted and alternate scenes" - or so it says on the back of the thing.

:o  Most excellent!  Hopefully some better scenes with Keira all wet in her dress...  I also want that scene with the shark fin cruising around added in somewhere (like it was in the trailers).  Love me some sharks!   8)

just an fyi - i copied and pasted that info from amazon... you didn't think i would use the caps key, did you??  :D

No sh*t!  Don't worry Dave, your NO CAPS reputation is perfectly safe still...   ;)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #116 on: November 28, 2003, 12:20 AM »
I don't know if anyone here will be interested, but apparently, Deep Discount DVD is offering a couple of 20% off codes right now, and at least one of them is good until December 5th:

usatoday

and

dvdtalk

This deal, combined with their always-free shipping, is a great one if you're in need of some Christmas gifts for someone (or yourself).

For example, the Alien Quadrilogy goes from about $73 shipped to $58 shipped--not too bad.  (The only deal with that is that the coupons aren't good on pre-orders, so you'd have to wait until next Tuesday to order it.  Still a good deal.)

Visit this Home Theater Forum thread for more details:

"Two" DDD Coupons - 20% OFF!

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: December 1, 2003, 10:24 PM »
Virex,
I didn't grab a Sunday paper this weekend.  Any insight on where I can pick up Pirates for the cheapest?  Thanks!

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #118 on: December 1, 2003, 10:38 PM »
I hate having the last post on a page.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #119 on: December 1, 2003, 10:45 PM »
Regarding Pirates of the Caribbean:

Looks like Target will have the lowest price tomorrow, at $14.99, while Best Buy and Circuit City will both have it for $15.99.

Of course, as always, Wal-Mart might have the lowest overall price, especially if there's a Target nearby, but Wal-Mart prices vary from store-to-store.  Might be worth checking out tomorrow, I don't know.

Also, if anyone's looking for more in-depth DVD price listings each week, do yourself a favor, and check out David Lambert's "Weekly Roundup" over at the Home Theater Forum.  If you guys think I'm nuts about DVDs and their prices, well, this guy's f'n looney about this stuff (only in a good way, of course).  He'll usually post his Weekly Roundups each Sunday, and then I'll steal politely borrow the info to post here.   8)
« Last Edit: December 1, 2003, 11:15 PM by Virex »