Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100638 times)

SilverZ

Re: Major DVD Release List for Fall '03/Winter '04
« Reply #135 on: December 17, 2003, 06:26 PM »
Aack! Still waiting for my Alien Quad to show up. It shipped last week from DDD. Anyone have similar delays from these guys?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #136 on: December 17, 2003, 06:51 PM »
Ordered mine just after midnight on 12/2, right after they became available, paid the extra $4.xx for the expedited shipping, and received it on the following Monday (12/8).

No complaints here.

Sorry you're still waiting.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #137 on: December 18, 2003, 01:04 AM »
Non-Widescreen Version Received As Hanukkah Gift

BROOKLYN, NY—Self-described film buff Tyler Rosenstein was disappointed to receive a non-letterboxed "full screen" version of the movie The Matrix Reloaded as a Hanukkah gift, the 19-year-old reported Monday.

"Great," said Rosenstein, concealing his displeasure from his beaming aunt and uncle, Hannah and Bernie Greenberg, as he gazed at the freshly unwrapped DVD in his hand. "Just what I wanted. The Matrix Reloaded."

"With approximately a third of the movie's visual content missing, thanks to 'pan-and-scan,'" he added under his breath.

Rosenstein, a freshman studying philosophy at NYU, said he was momentarily excited to receive the special collector's edition DVD of The Matrix Reloaded, which features more than an hour of supplemental material, including behind-the-scenes footage and a preview of the Enter The Matrix video game. But Rosenstein's joy faded when his eye caught the words "full-screen edition" emblazoned across the top of the box.

Minutes later, Rosenstein's cousin Cory made an exchange of the gift impossible when he insisted that Rosenstein open the DVD to show him the "easter egg."

While Rosenstein thanked his aunt and uncle for the gift, he took leave of the family get-together shortly after dinner and locked himself in his room to sulk.

"It's frustrating, because they came so close to getting me exactly what I wanted," said Rosenstein, lying on his bed and sneering at the DVD. "This is a $30 item. But what am I supposed to do with it? Why would they even release a full-screen Matrix Reloaded, when every single frame of that movie is so artfully composed? Even leaving framing aside, the movie cries out for each of its visual elements to be seen."

"It's an unwatchable piece of crap," said Rosenstein, tossing the DVD onto a pile of gifts that included a sweatshirt and a digital memo recorder.

In spite of his annoyance with the non-letterboxed DVD, Rosenstein said he knew better than to complain to his relatives.

"There's just no way to tell them without coming off like a complete *******," Rosenstein said. "I'm just going to have to eat it."

The Greenbergs remain unaware of their mistake.

"We're so happy that we were able to get Tyler a gift he really wanted this year," Hannah Greenberg said. "You wouldn't believe how hard he is to shop for. He's so picky about his movies. For his birthday, we gave him The Wedding Singer. I thought all the kids liked that Adam Sandler—Cory said he sings a song about Hanukkah. Well, boy, was getting Tyler that movie a mistake!"

This year, instead of guessing, the Greenbergs took a suggestion from Rosenstein's father, who was aware that his son owned the first Matrix movie.

"Tyler's got very specific tastes," Bernie said. "He told us he likes those foreign films. What did he call it? The Criterion Collection. Well, Hannah and I tried to find those, but they didn't have them at Target. We sure didn't want what happened with the wizard movie to happen again."

Bernie spoke in reference to last year, when the Greenbergs came close to finding a gift Rosenstein would like. The misguided couple gave their nephew the theatrical-release version of Lord Of The Rings: The Fellowship Of The Ring, instead of the extended version which contains 40 extra minutes of footage—a distinction Rosenstein gently explained to the confused gift-givers.

"If we'd known, we'd have been happy to get him the other version," Hannah said. "Well, this time we were very careful. There were two versions at the store, and we made sure to get the special one. See, Tyler hates it when they cut out part of the movie."

Confusion over the misleading term "full-screen" caused his well-meaning relatives to purchase the inferior version of the DVD.

"Why do they call it 'full-screen' anyway, when it's only two-thirds of the stupid movie?" Rosenstein asked. "******* bull**** aspect ratio!"

As of press time, Rosenstein had not decided what to do with the DVD.

"I can't trade it to any of my friends," Rosenstein said. "They'd just roll their eyes when they saw it wasn't letterboxed. Basically, I'm screwed. I'm stuck with a product that has no reason to exist."

"I suppose I could just throw it away," Rosenstein continued. "But what if Aunt Hannah or Uncle Bernie asked about it? I'll probably have to just keep this horrible thing on my shelf. I'm trapped, like Neo and the other warriors of Zion, in a fictitious world I never chose to be a part of: an imaginary alternate universe where non-widescreen DVDs are remotely tolerable."
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subtract the Jewish stuff, and this is me.  God bless The Onion. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 18, 2003, 01:15 AM »
Oddly enough I just read that article this evening and thought of you, and now you post it.

I'm turning into that freaky European  >:(

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #139 on: December 18, 2003, 01:22 AM »
Oddly enough I just read that article this evening and thought of you, and now you post it.

I'm turning into that freaky European  >:(

One man-crush at a time, please.  

When the Wulff-man gets done having his way with me, I'll let you know.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #140 on: December 18, 2003, 01:37 AM »
That article, though, fits me perfectly.  For my Christmas list this year, I was very careful to only list DVDs which would be nearly-impossible to f--k up in any way, DVDs which only have one version, basically.  Here it is:

• Casablanca: Two-Disc Special Edition
  • A Christmas Story: 20th Anniversary Two-Disc Special Edition
  • The Lion King: 2-Disc Special Edition: Platinum Edition
  • The Simpsons: The Complete Third Season
  • Sleeping Beauty: Special Edition 2-Disc Set
I mean, the first two, the only way they can be f--ked-up is if someone confuses the old ones for the new ones (and the covers are quite different).  The two Disneys are unf--kupable, since they're the only versions out, and the Simpsons can only be f--ked up if someone grabs one of the first two seasons instead.

I even considered putting little pictures of the cover art next to everything on my list, but I'm a moron when it comes to computer stuff, and couldn't do it right.

The other dual-versions out there, with nearly-identical covers, hell, I'll get those myself after Christmas with gift cards or Christmas money or something.  

I'm a total a-hole.   :-\

SilverZ

« Reply #141 on: December 18, 2003, 03:22 AM »
Man, that Onion piece made the rounds pretty quick!  :D Hilarious, and pretty much summed up my experiences during Xmas last year with the GF's family.

J

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #142 on: December 19, 2003, 12:45 AM »
Forgive me if I missed this along the way somewhere Matt, but when the hell are they going to release a more attractive and comprehensive package (ala "Collector's Edition") for both the Wizard of Oz and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  I've been holding off on picking up those two titles due to how cheap they look and bare-bones they are...

Anything on tap for them?

And when can I get my grubby mitts on the ROTK EE?!?   8)

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #143 on: December 19, 2003, 12:48 AM »

Nevermind.  Checked your list there.  Looks like another November EE release date.  Dammit I was hoping it would be sooner this time around for some reason...  That's too long a wait for the rest of this movie!   >:(

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #144 on: December 19, 2003, 01:03 AM »
Forgive me if I missed this along the way somewhere Matt, but when the hell are they going to release a more attractive and comprehensive package (ala "Collector's Edition") for both the Wizard of Oz and Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory.  I've been holding off on picking up those two titles due to how cheap they look and bare-bones they are...

Anything on tap for them?

Well, I can't speak for The Wizard of Oz, but I've got the most-recent, 30th-Anniversary of Willy Wonka, and it's a fine disc, and I wouldn't imagine that we'll see a "better" version until the Tim Burton film version comes out in a couple of years, if anything.  The current disc is fine--good commentary, decent documentary/featurette, some other stuff.  I deem it "safe to purchase"--just make sure you buy the widescreen version, unless you want to see the hoses that inflate Violet Beauregarde, among other things   :-X

As for the Wizard, I've never heard anything bad or negative about the current Warner Bros. disc.  I've never seen it (not a fan of the film), but I did buy it for my niece a year or so ago.  It's supposed to be very good, and is probably a safe buy.

I'll put it this way--I haven't heard of any new, upcoming versions of either of those movies in the near future.

Well, I put it on my list, but I just guess-timated it, based on the release dates of the Fellowship and Two Towers DVDs, all of which came out in August (theatrical) and November (extended).  

There are a few reports out there which indicate that at least the theatrical DVD for ROTK will be out much earlier (perhaps as early as May, even), but even so, I would still imagine that the extended version of ROTK will be out in November, to capitalize on the Christmas season.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #145 on: December 19, 2003, 01:09 AM »
I'll add by saying that there are no known, official release dates for either the theatrical or extended DVDs for Return of the King.  Like I mentioned above, I'm just assuming that they'll follow the August/November release pattern they've taken with the other two films, but based on rumors, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the theatrical version (at least) released earlier.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #146 on: December 19, 2003, 01:25 AM »
As long-rumored, Schindler's List has been finally announced for a March 9th, 2004 release:

It's official folks! As we reported last week, Universal studios will release Steven Spielberg's Schindler's List on 3/9 (SRP $26.98). The single-disc set will be packaged in both Digipak and keep case packaging (the disc will be DVD-18 - dual sided, dual layered). Separate anamorphic widescreen and full frame versions will be available, both with audio in English, French and Spanish Dolby Digital 5.1 audio, as well as English DTS 5.1 audio (along with English captions and French and Spanish subtitles). To our knowledge, there will be no extras on this DVD. There will also be a gift set version available (SRP $79.98) that will include the anamorphic widescreen version of the DVD along with a coffee table book, the CD soundtrack, a senitype cell and a certificate of authenticity. Reportedly, this title is being co-marketed with the DVD release of the Steven Spielberg-produced TV miniseries Broken Silence, although we have no details yet on that. Here's a look at the cover art and the gift set:

Initial thought:  Glad to see this masterpiece finally, but it sucks that Universal has decided to put it on a DVD-18 (dual-sided, dual-layered) disc, and not on a two-separate discs, one for the movie, one for the extras, like a lot of other DVDs.  

Still though, this is an important release, and it's about time.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2003, 01:26 AM by Virex »

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #147 on: December 19, 2003, 03:13 AM »
I'll add by saying that there are no known, official release dates for either the theatrical or extended DVDs for Return of the King.  Like I mentioned above, I'm just assuming that they'll follow the August/November release pattern they've taken with the other two films, but based on rumors, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see the theatrical version (at least) released earlier.

Well, a couple observations here...  I think the prior two LOTR films had their EE DVD release dates in November to get the buzz going again for the next film which was released each December.  But since there won't be another film next year, maybe they'll bump up the release schedule a little this time around.  There's also the possibility that ROTK could see a brief limited run again right around Oscar time too...   8)

Adam also pointed out an interesting little blurb on the potential LOTR boxset on tap, so that's definitely got me rather intrigued as well.  So go dig up some juicy news on that one, would ya'?!  I'll be right here waiting...   :-*

Willy Wonka 30th Anniversary DVD you say...?  Is that just the regular one I see everywhere, with the cheapo cardboard cover?  I'd assume it is, since I don't think I've ever seen anything other than that one.  I guess I just don't think too much of it based on it's appearance.  Not the fancy "Collector's Edition" I'm accustomed to looking for...  But if you're suggesting not to judge this book by it's cover, I guess I'll have another looksee.

Burton's version with Johnny Depp certainly sounds cool too!  I wonder what Tim will dream up with for the Oompa Loompas, which always scared the living sh!t out of me in the original (still do).  They're right up there with the Land of the Lost sleestack and Jaws for freakiest nightmarish creatures from my childhood...   :'(

Wizard of Oz deserves better treatment than the version that's on the market right now.  I think I'll wait a little longer to see if anything gets mentioned for it, before I drop a potentially wasted $15 on a soon to be obselete DVD.

I continue to wait patiently for the Top Gun Special Edition set though...   :-\  Still no firmer date on that one yet, eh?  Or Titanic?

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #148 on: December 19, 2003, 01:42 PM »
Well, a couple observations here...  I think the prior two LOTR films had their EE DVD release dates in November to get the buzz going again for the next film which was released each December.  But since there won't be another film next year, maybe they'll bump up the release schedule a little this time around.

Couple things:  November is the month to release DVDs.  Most of the biggest titles of any given year will come out in November, right in time for the beginning of the Christmas shopping season.

Also, some people were already pissed that the other Extended editions were released so soon after the theatrical cuts came out (about three months).  Well, if they bump up the theatrical DVD from August to, say, June, well, that's going to expand that gap a little bit, which to some people would look a little more consumer-friendly.  Now, if they went and bumped the Extended up to September or October, then you'd have the same amount of time between the releases, which would just tick the same people off again.

Another thing to consider is that a set like that takes time to produce.  They're working on it even as we speak, and I would guess they'll be doing so for the next couple of months.  Especially if the film wins the Best Picture Oscar--I wouldn't be surprised to see something about that on the DVD (that's if the Academy plays nice for a change and lets them have the Oscar footage, which they probably won't, actually.)

There's also the possibility that ROTK could see a brief limited run again right around Oscar time too...   8)

Hell, dude, the Oscars were moved up a month, so they'll be airing in late February next year (the 29th, to be exact).  Return of the King will still be in theatres at that time--no need to rerelease it!

Adam also pointed out an interesting little blurb on the potential LOTR boxset on tap, so that's definitely got me rather intrigued as well.  So go dig up some juicy news on that one, would ya'?!  I'll be right here waiting...   :-*

I know nothing.  The only "boxed set" that I would expect to see are just the Extended Editions (and/or the theatrical versions) of all three films in one big, nice, (sturdy) box.  If they add a bunch of stuff to any future box set, then people would really be pissed.  The EEs are comprehensive enough as it is.

Willy Wonka 30th Anniversary DVD you say...?  Is that just the regular one I see everywhere, with the cheapo cardboard cover?  I'd assume it is, since I don't think I've ever seen anything other than that one.  I guess I just don't think too much of it based on it's appearance.  Not the fancy "Collector's Edition" I'm accustomed to looking for...  But if you're suggesting not to judge this book by it's cover, I guess I'll have another looksee.

The current DVD is fine.  Yeah, the Snapper (which is what the "cheapo cardboard cover" is called) sucks, but the movie itself looks and sounds great, and there are some interesting features, including a commentary with all of the grown-up kids (sans Wilder) and a decent documentary featuring the grown-up kids and Wilder.  There's some other stuff there too, but the commentary track and the featurette are the highlights.  Get it.

Burton's version with Johnny Depp certainly sounds cool too!  I wonder what Tim will dream up with for the Oompa Loompas, which always scared the living sh!t out of me in the original (still do).  They're right up there with the Land of the Lost sleestack and Jaws for freakiest nightmarish creatures from my childhood...   :'(

There's a separate thread for your thoughts on Burton's Willy Wonka--I suggest you take your opinions there instead of cluttering up my thread any further.  We'll get around to discussing the DVD here in about another three years. . .   :-X

Wizard of Oz deserves better treatment than the version that's on the market right now.  I think I'll wait a little longer to see if anything gets mentioned for it, before I drop a potentially wasted $15 on a soon to be obselete DVD.

I've never heard anything even remotely bad about the current Wizard DVD--the only complaint I think I've ever seen about it was that the extra stuff is a little difficult to navigate through.  Other than that, it's supposed to be fantastic.  $15 is a great deal for a package like they've got for that classic film, and by no means is the current DVD going to be obsolete anytime soon.  

I continue to wait patiently for the Top Gun Special Edition set though...   :-\  Still no firmer date on that one yet, eh?  Or Titanic?

Those are going to be Paramount Special Editions--they were mentioned at The Digital Bits several months ago, and right now, not much else is known about them.  They'll be good, though, I'm sure, and much needed--the current discs were passable at best in 1998, when they came out, and are now  absolute crap by today's standards.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #149 on: December 22, 2003, 12:06 AM »
So, according to this post on the Home Theater Forum, Costco stores are selling the Alien Quadrilogy for $42 right now, plus a bunch of other Fox TV sets for less than $30.

Needless to say, if you're at all curious about the Quadrilogy and are anywhere near a Costco, get to steppin'.  $42 is nuts for that thing--basically, you'd be getting Alien3, Resurrection, and the bonus disc for free.  

To sum up, passing on this set will put you on the same intellectual level with other notable luminaries as GNT and Carnor Jax.  Merry Christmas.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2003, 12:10 AM by Virex »