Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100822 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: 2004 DVD Release List
« Reply #165 on: January 6, 2004, 07:55 PM »
Don't know if this will be of interest to anyone else here, but if any of you guys are interested in the new Scarface: 20th Anniversary disc, there's a new 2-pack out with that and The Fast and the Furious: Tricked Out Edition, for less than twenty bucks total.

Deep Discount's got it listed here for $19.20:

SCARFACE/FAST & THE FURIOUS (VALUE

I've also heard of other B & M stores like K-Mart and Costco having this 2-pack, as well, for right around the same price (think I even heard it was $16.99 at Costco).

Now, personally, I have absolutely zero interest in the Fast and Furious disc, but given that the lowest price I've seen Scarface for has been $19.99, I'll be happy to order this thing for Tony Montana, and Ebay F & F for whatever.  Pretty good deal.

Anyway, go nuts, kids.
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: January 6, 2004, 08:25 PM »
And here I always thought you were a Fast and Furious fan...maybe it was 2 Fast 2 Furious you liked??  :-\

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: January 6, 2004, 10:52 PM »
SEINFELD FIRST SEASON?!?! Are you serious? It's about friggin' time!
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: January 7, 2004, 08:52 AM »
I saw the Scarface/FaF 2 pack at Circuit City yesterday.  They had a bunch of other two packs also - Van Wilder  (I think the unrated version) / Weekend at Bernies; Shawshank / Green Mile; Fast Times at Ridgement High / Dazed and Confused.   In most cases I already own one of the movies in the two packs, but they're a pretty good deal - $10 a movie.

On a related note, has any one heard of the Warner Bros deal - Buy two, get one Free (by mail).  

Details

Its a pretty good deal with an excellent choice of movies.  The deal runs out at the end of the month, but receipts dated back to November are eligible.  I picked up Boogie Nights and Seven last week from Best Buy for $20 each and selected One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest as my free movie.  Three very excellent movies (and dvds) for a little over $40 - good deal in my book.
« Last Edit: January 7, 2004, 08:53 AM by Mikey D »
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #169 on: January 8, 2004, 12:39 AM »
I went to Circuit City, decided to buy Reservoir Dogs - I've never seen it but I was told if I like Goodfellas, Scarface, etc; then I'd like Res. Dogs. Naturally, Circuit City didn't have it.

So, I bought the 2-disc Alien DVD. Very crisp. I haven't watched but about 30 minutes of the theatrical release, and have yet to even look at the second disc or the Director's Cut or whatever it is.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: January 8, 2004, 07:11 AM »
I went to Circuit City, decided to buy Reservoir Dogs - I've never seen it but I was told if I like Goodfellas, Scarface, etc; then I'd like Res. Dogs. Naturally, Circuit City didn't have it.

So, I bought the 2-disc Alien DVD. Very crisp. I haven't watched but about 30 minutes of the theatrical release, and have yet to even look at the second disc or the Director's Cut or whatever it is.

Try Target for Reservoir Dogs, Brad.  I believe they recently had a price drop on it so it should be around $15.  If you seen Tarantino's other movies and liked them, you should like this one too.

I got the Alien Quadrilogy for Xmas and have been watching it since.  I still have Resurrection to watch movie wise, then I'll start digging into the extras.  Good stuff so far.
Common sense isn't so common

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #171 on: January 8, 2004, 01:12 PM »

Try Target for Reservoir Dogs, Brad.  I believe they recently had a price drop on it so it should be around $15.  
Target just price dropped "Reservoir Dogs" to $9.99 about a week and a half ago. Have at it.

Offline Jim

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: January 8, 2004, 01:29 PM »
Ill do you one better on Reservoir Dogs.  www.deepdiscountdvd.com has all the  different covers at $7.97 with free shipping ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: January 8, 2004, 04:55 PM »
I really hope that the Seinfeld on DVD rumors turn out to be true.  That is one series that we have been hoping for, for quite some time.  2004 looks to be a great year for DVDs, with the (hopeful) arrivals of the Star Wars OT on DVD, Clone Wars Micro-Series, Seinfeld, Return of the King, and a lot of other great titles.  I like the fact that more places are embracing the concept of television series on DVD, the problem is there gets to be so many that a person wants to buy :).

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #174 on: January 8, 2004, 05:20 PM »
Ill do you one better on Reservoir Dogs.  www.deepdiscountdvd.com has all the  different covers at $7.97 with free shipping ;)

I checked DDD before, and I didn't mention them because they won't have it in stock until 2/17/04. Target will have it as we speak,  for sure.

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #175 on: January 9, 2004, 12:02 PM »
I went ahead and used a gift-card from Wal-Mart and bought Reservoir Dogs. I know, I know, don't buy DVD's from Wal-Mart... but I had no idea what else I'd use the gift-card for.  :-[

Great movie! Really fantastic. Glad I got it.

By the way I picked the generic cover, with all the Dogs on it.  ;)

Fettish Sez Thanks

« Reply #176 on: January 9, 2004, 12:06 PM »
While I am still a little iffy on this movie, this may be some exciting news for the rest of you.

Kill Bill: Vol. 1 DVD - 4/13/03

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #177 on: January 9, 2004, 12:28 PM »
I'm with Cory, I'm not really sure about this movie - afterall, I haven't seen but half of it.

I'm going to bide my time and I hope there'll be a 2 disc Special Edition with both movies on a single disc, and a seperate disc for bonus items.

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: January 9, 2004, 12:38 PM »
Grabbed one of my personal Top Ten movies on DVD this week:  "Aliens".
I wasn't about to shell out for the Quadrilogy because I think 3 and Resurrection are travesties.  I will get the "Alien" disc eventually but I recently saw the director's cut in the theatre so I can wait.
Anyhoo, about "Aliens".  This set is awesome, from the packaging to the extras.  I particularly enjoyed the docs about the production, with everyone complaining about James Cameron's infamous temper and perfectionist ways.  If you've ever worked on a film set, you will find this "backstage" info especially fascinating.
And what can you say about the film?  The extended edition is cinema bliss.  A perfectly constructed action picture with plenty of heart and real emotional depth.  Cameron has never made another film to equal this one, IMO.  T2 comes close but no cigar.
The sound and the picture quality are also excellent.  Now I just have to listen to the commentary, which Cameron himself participated in.  
Final rating:  Movie Geek Heaven  ;D

Offline Snively Bandar

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hug a llama today!
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: January 9, 2004, 04:33 PM »
Virex (and the rest of you DVD aficionados), what's your opinion on the "Superbit" DVDs?  Are the quality of those DVDs really enhanced that much over their more common respective counterparts, and if so, are they worth the extra $5 or $10 in your opinion?

There's a few movies I've picked up in the past (Crouching Tiger, The Patriot, Dark Crystal) that are part of the Superbit collection now that I'm considering upgrading to if it's worth it, so any advice would be helpful.  Thanks!

On the DVD front, pretty slow start to the year.  I'm really not looking forward to anything until Rainman comes out next month.   8)