Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100747 times)

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: 2004 DVD Release List
« Reply #210 on: February 10, 2004, 09:36 AM »
The Star Wars Trilogy on DVD

Very cool.  Should have been done four or five years ago, but still very cool.  And just so people don't have to go there to check it out, let me quote the whole thing, GNT-style:

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Star Wars Trilogy on DVD
February 10, 2004

The most requested films for the DVD format will finally become a reality this September as Lucasfilm Ltd. and Twentieth Century Fox present the eagerly-awaited Star Wars Trilogy for the ultimate home entertainment format. The four-disc collection will be released on September 21 in the U.S. and Canada, with international release dates following closely.
"We know how long fans have waited for this release and how much they have been looking forward to it, so everyone has been working overtime to make sure that the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD is an awesome experience," said Jim Ward, Vice President of Marketing and Distribution for Lucasfilm Ltd. and the DVD collection's Executive Producer.

Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi will be available in a four-disc set that includes a bonus disc filled with all-new special features -- including the most comprehensive feature-length documentary ever produced about the Star Wars saga and never-before-seen footage from the making of all three films. Each of the three films in the Star Wars Trilogy has been digitally restored and re-mastered by THX for superior sound and picture quality.

"First and foremost, the DVDs will deliver the very best possible sound and picture and take advantage of everything the medium can offer. On top of that, we are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the Star Wars films in a fresh and fun way," Ward said. "We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time."

The films of the Star Wars Trilogy will be available exclusively as a collection and will feature Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround EX. All three films are closed-captioned and subtitled in English, French and Spanish in the U.S. Internationally, sound and subtitling specifications will vary by territory.

Keep checking starwars.com over the coming months for more specific details about the content of this must-own DVD set."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

No pictures of the artwork or anything yet, and curiously, no mention of which version of the films we'll be getting. . .
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 10, 2004, 09:44 AM »
No pictures of the artwork or anything yet, and curiously, no mention of which version of the films we'll be getting. . .

They will probably be Lucas' "definitive" versions of the films, the special editions.   Ugh.  

BTW, is there any truth in the rumors about these DVD's being special-special editions?  I heard that Lucas was going to tweak the special editions to accommodate the PT.  

Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #212 on: February 10, 2004, 09:57 AM »
Well, I'll admit that I haven't been following any of the "Star Wars on DVD in 2004" threads on any of the home theatre/DVD forums I check out, so I have no idea.  I think the general thought is that they are either the '97 Special Editions, or new '04 Special Special Editions.

I think that the only people who know for sure are the people who are putting this set together, even as we speak, and they sure aren't talking.

You can tell, they were really ambiguous about it in their official announcement today.  "We'll have more details later" or whatever.  Well, of course.  "Let's just announce the ******* now, and then we can quietly let it slip that they'll be the Special Editions that everybody hates sometime a few weeks from now. . ."
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #213 on: February 10, 2004, 10:00 AM »
I don't necessarily hate the SE's, the Battle of Yavin and the Wampa come to mind as good, there was just as much bad however (The Greedo thing, Jabba, the new Max Rebo Band) that they are really hit and miss.  If they went back and did Super Special Editions (fixing the boxes around TIE Fighters, the ANH Lightsaber effects, do a better looking Jabba) I'd be OK with that being George's definitive OT

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 10, 2004, 10:10 AM »
While I'm happy we're finally getting the OT on DVD (OT, SE or new SE), I'm kind of upset they're coming in a boxset.  I would have prefered single released 2 discers like TPM and AOTC.  A single disc of extras for three movies is a little skimpy, IMO.  While I can see it for Indiana Jones, where there isn't (supposedly) a lot of extra material, each OT movie has a crap load of extras that would warrant an extra disc.

Lucas is probably saving that for the Ultimate Super Duper Edition of the the Star Wars Saga once EIII is released.  And I course, I'll buy that too.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
LOTR - Return of the King - DVD Release
« Reply #215 on: February 10, 2004, 11:24 AM »
Here is a pic of the Lord of the Rings : DVD Cover, i like it.  What do you guys thinkg about it:

There's talk that it is slated for a May 25th release!

Here is a larger one :

« Last Edit: February 10, 2004, 11:28 AM by Mainland05 »
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: LOTR - Return of the King - DVD Release
« Reply #216 on: February 10, 2004, 11:29 AM »
That's lovely and all, but why not post it in the DVD thread?
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: LOTR - Return of the King - DVD Release
« Reply #217 on: February 10, 2004, 11:32 AM »
Agreed, I'll merge this there ;)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: February 10, 2004, 11:35 AM »
I agree, I'm really just happy to hear that some version of the OT is coming to DVD.  It is really great to finally have actual "confirmation" on this, after hearing the rumors for so long.  It would have been nice to have the original versions as well, but I think most of us figured it would be the SE's.  I personally don't mind the SEs either, but could have done without parts too (Greedo shooting first, Luke's scream in Empire, the new Rebo Band additions, etc.)  I actually watched my old, original version Return of the Jedi this past weekend, and was surprised at how different it was.  I didn't even remember the difference in Han's line to Lando (at the pit) went from "Wait I thought you were blind".."Trust Me"....to "I can see a lot better now".  It had just been so long since I had watched the original versions I guess.  Anyways, this is really great news, and I'll be anxious to hear what the extras disc will all contain.

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 10, 2004, 11:36 AM »
Also, thanks for posting that cover art for the ROTK DVD, Mainland.  I really hope that May 25th rumor is true, it would be nice to get that DVD as soon as possible....then, bring on the extended version :).

Offline Darth Kenobi

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 10, 2004, 12:42 PM »
I will wait for the ROTK EE to be released since I don't want to have another copy of ROTK.  The cover art for the May 25 looks good.    The Star Wars dvd's I have mix feelings on because I know that ant the end of Ep3 we will get the super duper editon with hopefully a ton of extras (Wampa attack scenes, etc.).   I want to get the DVD's so that I have them to view on my DVD player but I also don't want to spend $50 then have to spend another $50 a few years down the road.  If I do get this one, which I will most likely, I may sell off thew older verison to a used DVD store or some non-collector.

SilverZ

« Reply #221 on: February 10, 2004, 09:15 PM »
Glad people here are happy to see the OT release, SE or otherwise. I want to gouge my eyeballs out reading the hometheater forums. Years ago they'd beg and complain to just release barebones discs, now they're whining that this isn't the uber-collection to end all others. I'm happy to have a decent video/audio presentation of the movies. I'm OK with the SE modifications, more or less.

Latest word from DigitalBits is that Lowry Digital is doing clean-up work on the movies, which is great news. The clips that are in the Gamecube game look really, really grainy (in a deterioration sort of way, not film grain). If they can achieve what they did with Raiders, then we're going to see great discs this year!

Aside from that, I don't expect any revelations from the releases, and would fully expect another release after EIII.

J

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #222 on: February 10, 2004, 09:39 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't necessarily say that I'm "happy" about the announcement--more like relieved.  I've been into DVDs for over five years, and have pretty much gotten fed up with the whole "when is Star Wars gonna be on DVD?" crap.  So, it's nice that they're finally coming out.  

Now, I didn't blow a load all over the place this morning like I would have four or five years ago--just kind of a "finally/it's about time" kind of feeling.

As far as the extras, whatever.  Would it be nice if they received the same exact treatment as the new films, with two-disc sets?  Sure, but at the same time, the films themselves are what's most important, and as long as the audio and video quality are the best they can be, then I'll be happy.  I mean, this sounds like it's going to be pretty much the exact same thing that we got with the Raiders set last fall, and to be honest, I've gone through those extras once, and haven't gone back to them since.

What a lot of people forget to realize is that they're comparing the DVDs for these twenty-five year old films to the DVDs that are being produced for new films like Lord of the Rings--films that started their production with DVD already out.  With the new stuff, they have the ability to create special features for the DVDs during the production of the films themselves, right along side it.  

The documentation most certainly got better and more expansive from the production of Star Wars to Jedi, but even then, it still wouldn't compare to what they're doing today.  There is just not all that material out there for them to use.

As for the versions of the films (the '97 Special Editions, which I'll get to in a second), well, that's to be expected.  Yes, they are Lucas' films, and he can do what he wants to with them, for sure, that's his prerogative.  

It is sad, though, that he's not doing anything to preserve those original versions for future generations.  After all, they were the films that set the world on fire, and made him his millions billions, not the SE's.  

And don't give me the "you have the VHS" bullsh!t.  That's a cop-out.  There's a reason DVD has kicked the crap out of VHS in the last seven years--VHS sucks.  The original films were last released on VHS in 1995--already nine years ago.  They're degrading already.  I'd hate to think what those same tapes will look like ten more years from now.

So yeah, I'll most definitely still buy these things, and be content for now, just with the hopes that for the "archival" editions, released sometime after 2006 (if not later), he'll do the right thing and include all the versions of these films, and let the fans decide which versions they want to watch.

Anyway, here's a little story from DVD File on the DVDs from today:

------------------------------------------------------------------

"The Force is Back - 12:01am

After years of waiting, hype and hope, the rumors can at last be laid to rest: the holy grail of DVD will finally be released this September. Yes, it is the original Star Wars trilogy: Episodes IV: A New Hope, Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back (which many regard as the best in the series) and Episode VI: Return of the Jedi.

While a full press release has yet to be issued, both Lucasfilm and Fox Home Entertainment confirmed today that the trilogy will touch down on September 21st as a four-disc set, available in both anamorphic widescreen and full screen versions, containing the three films plus a bonus fourth disc with extras, a la the top-selling Adventures of Indiana Jones set released late last year. The films will not be sold separately, at least initially, according to Fox representatives.

While the long-held rumor was that George Lucas would wait until the completion of Star Wars Episode III, due in theaters in May 2005, to release the original trilogy on DVD, Lucasfilm VP of Market Jim Ward revealed today that Lucas "found some time" in his schedule and "was willing and eager to make it happen."

Today's announcement came early and without finalized specs due in part to the intense anticipation amongst consumers for the titles. "We are currently in the process of restoring and remastering all three titles for the DVD release, so we're still working on details of the marketing strategy," revealed Ward, not before adding with knowing understatement, "but I believe that it is safe to say that it will receive tremendous exposure across all media."

According to Fox Home Entertainment president Mike Dunn, both the studio and Lucasfilm arrived at the September 21st date to gain maximum exposure during the holiday season: "We sold about 17 million VHS 'Star Wars' units during two fall release periods in '95 and '97," he explained. "With that in mind, we designed our release strategy to pick the best release date that had the most gentle sales curve decline on home video."

While the full details on what extras will be included in the set are still pending, Ward promises that Lucasfilm "are creating added-value material that gets inside the creation of the 'Star Wars' films in a fresh and fun way. We want watching this DVD collection to be as memorable as seeing the movies for the first time." He also confirmed that rumors that Lucas would not contribute new audio commentaries to the set are false, although there are as of yet no exact details on which films will receive commentary tracks, and who will be among the participants.

Of course, the big question mark amongst fans has always been whether Lucas would allow the original, unaltered original editions of the trilogy to also be released on DVD. Not possible, said Ward, who confirmed that the upcoming set will feature only the 1997 Special Edition versions of each film. "What George did in 1997," Ward explains, "was [to] make the movie he originally wanted to make."

So what are the faithful to do if they don't want to watch the altered 1997 editions of the trilogy? Either give in, or don't buy. "We realize there's a lot of debate out there," says Ward. "But this is not a democracy. We love our fans, but this is about art and filmmaking. [George] has decided that the sole version he wants available is this one."

With no press release due for at least several weeks, watch this space for further updates as September 21st approaches. We'll keep you posted, and as always.... May the Force Be With You."

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #223 on: February 10, 2004, 09:47 PM »
Timeline--that came out around Thanksgiving, no?  Based off the typical six-month window, that would put it around May sometime, probably.  And generally, the studios will announce their DVDs around two-to-three months before their release date.  (They're just now announcing the stuff for late March to early/mid-April).

So, I'll say somewhere around mid-April to mid-May, and, just for sh!ts and giggles, I'll say April 27th--and when they announce it, we'll see how close I was.

:-\

April 27th:

http://thedigitalbits.com/#mytwocents

I f--king rule.

SilverZ

« Reply #224 on: February 10, 2004, 11:10 PM »
Good point on the supps.

It's a shame DVD has turned the general public into "extras whores" who care more about the extra crap than the movie itself. Couldn't agree more that there's simply not a wealth of supplemental material for the OT and it's too bad most people don't realize this. Besides, what the hell can be said about the films that hasn't been endlessly documented, discussed, and hauled out already? I'm sure they're mining the old PC CD-ROM Insider's Guide for material.  There's more than enough there to port over. Even if it all makes it, its no big deal to me.

As far as the pre-SE OT, I really do believe we will see it again. They'll eventually realize that there is an audience (now heading towards or over 30 years old) that will pay a premium for a historical archive version of the movies. In my little fanboy world, that would be a branching version with the original title crawl and EpIV versions, and audio versions from both the 35mm and 70mm prints.

My bet is after the inevitable "Complete Saga" edition hits post EpIII, and the well dries up for new content, they'll go back to the well and sell us the originals. Or as the HTF and DVDTalk posters like to say - "sell us back our childhoods."  ::)

Paul Walker is the new Keanu.