Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100150 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2004 DVD Release List (UPDATE: LOTR Theatrical Trilogy)
« Reply #315 on: March 12, 2004, 12:29 PM »
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/newsitem.cfm?NewsID=1229

Simpsons Season 4...June 15th! :-*  You heard it hear second.  Season 4 is by far my favorite of all the Simspons years...Kamp Krusty, Streetcar, Mr Plow, Monorail, Ralph Loves Lisa, Homer Gives Up Beer, The Power Plant Strike.  It was and still is the greatest the Simpsons ever was and ever will be

Disc One:
8F24 Kamp Krusty
8F18 A Streetcar Named Marge
9F01 Homer the Heretic
9F02 Lisa The Beauty Queen
9F04 Treehouse of Horror III
9F03 Itchy & Scratchy: The Movie

Disc Two:
9F05 Marge Gets a Job
9F06 New Kid on the Block
9F07 Mr. Plow
9F08 Lisa's First Word
9F09 Homer's Triple Bypass
9F10 Marge vs. The Monorail

Disc Three:
9F11 Selma's Choice
9F12 Brother From the Same Planet
9F13 I Love Lisa
9F14 Duffless
9F15 Last Exit to Springfield
9F17 So It's Come to This: A Simpsons Clip Show

Disc Four:
9F16 The Front
9F18 Whacking Day
9F20 Marge in Chains
9F19 Krusty Gets Kancelled
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 12:29 PM by OCB »

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 12, 2004, 12:32 PM »
Thanks for posting that Scott.  Season 4 is definitely one of the best, and one I hope to pick up.  I only have season 2 thus far (passed on 1 for now, haven't gotten 3 yet)...but I don't want to skip on season 4.  Really like these season DVD sets, Simpsons is one of the shows that we can watch over and over and still find funny.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
Re: 2004 DVD Release List (UPDATE: THX-1138)
« Reply #317 on: March 14, 2004, 12:49 AM »
Holy sh!t--TV on DVD has exploded over the past couple of years, most definitely.  I think the release of the first Simpsons set back in 2001 really got the ball rolling there.  Once Mr. Belvedere: The Complete First Season comes out, I'm seriously re-evaluating the hobby.

Oh, ****.

Columbia TriStar will release the first season of Who's The Boss on June 8th. Details are slim right now, but we can tell you the set will include all 22 episodes from the 84-85 season, as well as some featurettes contains the funniest moments from various characters.

TVShowsOnDVD.Com

Only a matter of time.  

"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

SilverZ

« Reply #318 on: March 14, 2004, 04:16 PM »
In slightly more encouraging news, Anchor Bay announced Sledge Hammer, Season 1 for release this year. Now that, I say, is Qual-E-Tay. Didn't they nuke the city at the end of season 1, since they believed they wouldn't be back for a 2nd season, then were renewed?  :) Hammer!

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 14, 2004, 04:43 PM »
I just noticed that The Sandlot is on sale for $7.50 at Best Buy this week as well as Airplane, Forrest Gump, and Zoolander to name a few.  

Great price, renting is four dollars and change with the risk of late fees.  These prices continue to amaze me.

I watched Saving Private Ryan last night after playing Medal of Honor, the movie was better the second time around.  The picture quality and sound is incredible on a Hi Def Widescreen t.v.

-Fish-

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: March 15, 2004, 09:11 AM »
I thought I'd throw this out and get everyone's opinions on it.  How do you feel about this auction?

Sopranos DVD auction

Too good to be true?  Extremely excellent deal?  I shot the seller a couple of quick questions this morning and am waiting to hear back from them.  This seller has a lot of good deals and a huge inventory.  If this seller had more feedback, it wouldn't be a problem, but with only two (I expect more in the next few days once his auctions start closing), I'm a little hesistant.  I don't think there's anywhere where I can get these for that cheap.

Reflections?
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #321 on: March 15, 2004, 11:12 AM »
Yeah I saw that in the ad yesterday...Here they all are:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat26400050017&type=category

I think I'll pick up:

Forrest Gump
Sandlot
Edward Scissorhands

And either Popeye or Major League
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 11:12 AM by OCB »

SilverZ

« Reply #322 on: March 15, 2004, 07:30 PM »
Interesting Episode III DVD speculation - if anyone subscribes to Hyperspace, check out the latest EIII Post Notes. It mentions the trimming of 2 very superficial shots w/ vfx in the them, paraphrased:

"At 89 frames long, its not a scene DVD cutscenes are made of. That dynamic is about to change, though."

On review of an establishing shot, GL notes "Oh, that's a DVD shot now."

The rest of the article discusses the editing process the film is goign to undergo in the next few weeks to make it lean and mean. Even though these little insignificant deletions are par for the course, this mentality of "save it for DVD" is interesting. Considering these aren't trimmed materials suitable to include on a DVD as extra material, it is entirely possible the idea of creating extended DVD editions ala LOTR is on tap.

Makes me wonder if all the rumors of OT material being revisited, yet not appearing this year, are closer than we might think, too.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2004, 07:31 PM by Tydirium »

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: March 16, 2004, 12:04 PM »
I'll be picking up The Commitments: Special Edition on the way to work tonight.  ;)

SilverZ

« Reply #324 on: March 17, 2004, 02:53 AM »
Did ya watch it yet, DSJ? Picked it up too, along with Running Man. Good DVD week.  :)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #325 on: March 19, 2004, 11:34 AM »
Yeah I saw that in the ad yesterday...Here they all are:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat26400050017&type=category

I think I'll pick up:

Forrest Gump
Sandlot
Edward Scissorhands

And either Popeye or Major League

Well, it seems like Best Buy has free shipping this week too (maybe they always do?) So I went ahead and ordered online, instead of driving the two blocks to the Best Buy I live next to...I'm the epitome of lazy ::)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #326 on: March 19, 2004, 04:19 PM »
I see Dave posted on the front page a blurb from TheDigitalBits.com saying that there might indeed be some tweaks to the OT for the DVD release this fall

A couple of things I hope they fix:

• The lines around the TIE Fighters in ESB and ROTJ (how about a digital final battle ala ANH)
  • Obi-Wan and Vaders sabers in ANH
  • ANH Jabba (Some of the worst CGI in all of film)
  • Holo Emperor in ESB
I don't want to get into the Han cantina scene, he can leave that in, I don't care, that scene needs some work though too.  The whole thing was sort of either half assed or was rushed IMO.  Hopefully in the last 7 years (has it been that long already :-\) they've been tweaking it even more to bring it up to TPM/AOTC quality in terms of the CGI they were able to do there

Also note that John Williams has said he has worked on revising some of the scores for the OT in the past
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 04:20 PM by OCB »

SilverZ

« Reply #327 on: March 19, 2004, 04:43 PM »
I'm actually not expecting a lot of changes with this release, even as much as I have a list 10 miles long.  

I'll have to be content that they're having Lowry Digital do a clean-up of the prints - the SE's still suffer from some terrible grain and inconsistencies that are due to aging of the elements they used. It's evident in the laserdiscs when you compare the original widescreen discs (that came from a tranfer done in Japan in the early 90's) with the THX and SE versions. They're much cleaner (hazy and lifeless, but clean). The digital cleanup should get us a presentation along the lines of the Indy DVDs. That will be fine for now.

I'd be shocked if they actually addressed the matte lines on the SFX in ESB and ROTJ. The ANH shots, as well as the Battle of Hoth ones,  were recomposited (when not replaced by CG), but it was INFURIATING that they didn't touch so many of the obvious problems later on. The Rancor is just plain terrible, by today's standards or by 1983's. They'd have to go back and unarchive all of the motion control passes for each shot and locate the plates and digitally composite. This was big news in like '96 when they did it for the ANH restoration, so I'd assume we'd have heard more concrete news that it was happening again for the much much more complex shots in ESB and ROTJ that (desperately) need work done. This isn't a quick process or cheap and I doubt we'll get them this time 'round.

I bet we'll see things like the lightsabers redone (in ANH and widely reported to be already circulating in film prints), and at best a re-rigging of the CG Jabba.

I hope I'm wrong and the rumors are right instead.  :(
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 04:45 PM by Tydirium »

SilverZ

« Reply #328 on: March 19, 2004, 05:09 PM »
For fellow children of the 80's, the definitive Cold War nuke TV movie finally has a DVD release, according to DavisDVD.com:

MGM Home Entertainment will at long last release the made-for-TV event The Day After onto DVD on May 18th. This controversial and truly frightening 1983 telefilm follows the events leading up to and following a devastating nuclear attack on the United States by the Soviet Union. The disc is expected to arrive with a 1.78:1 anamorphic transfer of the 126-minute cut, Dolby Digital 2.0 audio and a newly created behind-the-scenes featurette. Not included on this disc, however, is the terrific audio commentary with director Nicholas Meyer that appeared on the Image Entertainment special edition laserdisc. Retail is $27.98.

Gave me the willies.  :)

Me stealy image from DavisDVD:
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 07:43 PM by Tydirium »

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: March 19, 2004, 07:22 PM »
The Day After.  

Chilling in that era.  It messed hard with a lot of peoples minds at that time.  I was fortunate to be stupid enough to ignore the implications and go out for beer after watching it though.  It was the talk of the town though and not happy talk.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.