Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100157 times)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: 2004 DVD Release List
« Reply #495 on: June 18, 2004, 12:44 PM »
I used to dig that show something fierce, was way into Dinosaurs at the time too.  I don't think its one that would hold up very well though so I'm not too interested in seeing it...the whole Sid/Marty Kroft franchise is a tad bit spooky

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: June 18, 2004, 04:30 PM »
Here is the Star Wars Trilogy - DVD Set!

Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

SilverZ

« Reply #497 on: June 18, 2004, 08:05 PM »
TFN updated with the finalized art. I think it quite frankly stinks.

« Last Edit: June 18, 2004, 08:17 PM by Tydirium »

SilverZ

« Reply #498 on: June 18, 2004, 08:37 PM »
And I slapped all 5 together to elaborate a bit on why these are so cheesy.

First off, the silver text versus the gold text is an odd mismatch. It's not quite the matching set I had imagined sitting on my shelf. (I'll be using the keepcases only, not the slipcase). Where's the top banner to match the PT covers?

Second, the layout of the characters on the ESB and ROTJ cases is chaotic, almost fan made. I won't even go into Vader's tiny saber. It's how you use it, right?

ANH is OK, since it seems to be the only one that they stuck to the Struzan art for. It's major flaw is that wretched Luke shot. Still, it lacks the polish that both PT covers have.

I hope these STILL aren't final, because they look like they're about 1/2 way to where they should be, quality-wise.

Offline Force Guy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Nom nom nom
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: June 19, 2004, 10:40 AM »
Hmm....I don't think I'll be spending a whole lot of time glancing at the DVD cover art, so it doesn't really bother me.  I mean, on a DVD shelf, how often do you even look at the front of the DVD case?!   ???  
Binders full of astromechs...

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #500 on: June 19, 2004, 12:02 PM »
I like the cover art - could be much worse, ya know. :-\

SilverZ

« Reply #501 on: June 19, 2004, 09:11 PM »
Hmm....I don't think I'll be spending a whole lot of time glancing at the DVD cover art, so it doesn't really bother me.  I mean, on a DVD shelf, how often do you even look at the front of the DVD case?!   ???  

I know, I'm in the minority... it's pretty much a non-issue for most. I'm notoriously anal about my DVD collection, including its covers (I've replaced most of my Warner snapper cases with Amaray style ones because of this). I'm a big fan of poster art too, and in turn always get a bit touchy when cover art doesn't represent the films as nicely as some earlier works did. I always assumed they were going to go the route they did with the PT DVDs, and I'm just a little bummed they didn't quite reach the same quality level as those.

SilverZ

« Reply #502 on: June 19, 2004, 11:49 PM »
Deep Discount DVD has a promotion this week (starting 6/18, ending 6/25) for an additional 20% off their normal discount prices on all DVDs, excluding preorders. The promo code to enter is:

DVDTALK

I'm hooking myself up with some boxsets I've been putting off. Kung Fu Season 1 for 23.99, for instance!  8)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #503 on: June 20, 2004, 01:15 AM »
Sweet finally picked up The Godfather movies, Minority Report/A.I. Bundle and Harry Potter Chamber of Secrets all for $66 shipped.

I ordered a bunch of stuff from them right before last Christmas...may have to do some shopping in June here for next December

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: June 20, 2004, 09:26 AM »
Deep Discount DVD has a promotion this week (starting 6/18, ending 6/25) for an additional 20% off their normal discount prices on all DVDs, excluding preorders. The promo code to enter is:

DVDTALK

cool, thanks for that code. picked up simpsons season 4 for $23.91 shipped  :o

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #505 on: June 20, 2004, 11:55 AM »
Anyone know if Gone with the Wind will be getting a new/improved release anytime soon?  Its one of my wife's favorite movies so I'm gonna try and pick up a copy during the sale here

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #506 on: June 20, 2004, 05:02 PM »
Don't buy GWTW yet--Warner is working on a new special edition which is supposed to be released before Christmas.

As for the DDD sale, I went a little ca-razy:

Bottle Rocket
Indecent Proposal
Mars Attacks!
Nashville
Psycho: Collector's Edition (Hitchcock)
Striptease
Twilight

And to round out my Spielberg collection, his lower-profile movies:

Always
Amistad (DTS)
Catch Me If You Can (widescreen)
The Color Purple: Two-Disc Special Edition
Empire of the Sun

$130 shipped, but, like I said, now I'm done with Spielberg, and now I can toss off to Demi Moore and Reese Witherspoon on my 32" TV instead of my 17" monitor (too much information, I know--but I'd rather come right out and admit it instead of trying to pretend that I bought "Striptease" for it's artistic value. . .).
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: June 21, 2004, 04:01 PM »
....and now I can toss off to Demi Moore and Reese Witherspoon on my 32" TV instead of my 17" monitor (too much information, I know--but I'd rather come right out and admit it instead of trying to pretend that I bought "Striptease" for it's artistic value. . .).

Oh sure, I shouldn't ask and bluntly it's none of my business, but hell, the curiousity has me: do you own Showgirls? :-X
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Matt

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • Lobot's Duplex
« Reply #508 on: June 21, 2004, 10:26 PM »
do you own Showgirls? :-X

Do I ever!

Horrible movie, naked ladies, cheap-ass DVD. . .  How could I not own it?!?!

In fact, there's a big-ass deluxe box set coming out in about a month, and I'll be damned if I'm not already considering buying it.

(Got your PM, Brent, and yeah, you can have my old, movie-only copy.  But only after the new one comes out, okay?)
« Last Edit: June 21, 2004, 10:27 PM by Virex »
"The good news is that all that blood is actually ketchup. The bad news, however, is that all that ketchup is actually blood."

SilverZ

« Reply #509 on: June 21, 2004, 11:41 PM »
You're not the only one waiting for the VIP Edition of Showgirls... anamorphic Gina Gershon... mmmm. And nothing is greater than the glee I feel watching Jesse from Saved By The Bell perform writhing spastications in the pool with Kyle MacLachlan. Oh, the humanity.  

So I pretty much focused on boxsets from the DDD sale - got me my Kung Fu, Curb Your Enthusiasm 2, Simpsons 4, and Robotech Remastered 3 & 4 on the cheap. Love it.