Author Topic: 2004 DVD Release List  (Read 100742 times)

SilverZ

Re: 2004 DVD Release List
« Reply #690 on: October 20, 2004, 07:48 PM »
Look at the size of those choppers!!!  :-\

Coming 12/28.

SilverZ

« Reply #691 on: October 25, 2004, 05:35 PM »
Bit of a big day tomorrow for me:

Cliffhanger: Superbit
Mulan
The Thing (16x9 finally!)
Dawn of the Dead - How is this, anyway? I'm buying it for Sarah Polley alone, but have no idea if the movie sucks or not.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #692 on: October 25, 2004, 06:02 PM »
For a remake - the DOTD is very good.

I'll be picking up the unrated edition and probably the Thing.

Slow week for me this week considering my haul for last week:

Creature from the Black Lagoon Legacy Collection
The Invisible Man Legacy Collection
The Mummy Legacy Collection
Hell Boy Director's Cut
Young Frankenstein
Van Helsing
Underworld Unrated Director's Cut
Psycho (the original)
Child's Play 2
Child's Play 3
Bride of Chucky
Ran (the Masterworks Edition)
21 Grams
Freddy Vs. Jason

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #693 on: October 25, 2004, 06:52 PM »
J,

I went with a friend to see it and found it entertaining.  Not to sure if I could hang with an unrated version as from what I remember the theatrical release was gruesome enough for me.

Since I have now given up on the modern line 100% I hope to start up a DVD collection so I hope you folks don't mind if I chime in on this thread.

The decission to buy something for me is really based on pricepoint and replay ability whether it be for me my wife or my boys.  So today I went to Costco and purchased:

Jurassic Park (Widescreen/CE) $8.99 - I have been looking for the widescreen version for quite some time.
Mystic River / Unforgiven two pack for $17.99
Koyaanisqatsi $8.99

And off topic a Van Helsing PS2 game for a whopping $12 and change!

I was really hoping to get Enter the Dragon (the latest version) no dice.

All in all a good haul  ;D.

DBK

Dawn of the Dead - How is this, anyway? I'm buying it for Sarah Polley alone, but have no idea if the movie sucks or not.

SilverZ

« Reply #694 on: October 25, 2004, 07:44 PM »
Well it sounds like DotD is a good blind purchase for me.  :)

DBK, if you want the older single-disc Enter the Dragon by any chance, I have an extra here.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #695 on: October 25, 2004, 07:46 PM »
Koyaanisqatsi $8.99

Wow!  How'd you pull that off?   I think my girlfriend paid about $23 for our copy.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #696 on: October 25, 2004, 08:40 PM »
Well it sounds like DotD is a good blind purchase for me.  :)

DBK, if you want the older single-disc Enter the Dragon by any chance, I have an extra here.

J,

Very kind of you, let me know your Paypal address if you have one and I will Paypal over shipping fees, let me know how much.  If not, your mailing adress.  Also, let me know how things are going...

KBZ, PM me your info as I am probably going to join that club.  As for your question, that was the marked price :)!

DBK
« Last Edit: October 25, 2004, 08:41 PM by DaBigKahuna »

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #697 on: October 27, 2004, 11:43 AM »
If you have a bunch of DVD's that you don't particullarly care for, check you local Blockbuster.  Some Blockbusters are running a promotion to give you at least $8 credit (giftcard) for each DVD.  I received over $150 in the form of a giftcard.  Hurry as my understanding is that this offer runs through this Sunday.

I than picked up the following for $10 each (pre-owned):

1) The Last Samurai
2) EBC Season 2 (never seen this in stores before)
3) Basketball 1
4) City of God
5) Duplex
6) Aliens Collectors Edition
7) Sixth Sense (this was new and marked $9.99 so the manager said he had to give it to me for this price.

I am getting hooked on building a DVD Collection.  Anyone know of a site that lists what has currently been transferred to DVD?

DBK

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #698 on: October 27, 2004, 11:48 AM »
I don't know of any sites that have a list of all dvd's but there are more things transferred than not at this point.

I had a slow week this week - picked up Scanners, Dawn of the Dead and Fahrenheit 451.

I also finally have an updated and complete (minus bootlegs) collection listing:

http://www.dvdaficionado.com/dvds.html?cat=1&id=kneel+before+zod

Do keep in mind that a few of these (like the Legally Blonde movies) belong to my girlfriend.

Offline aka DaBigKahuna

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #699 on: October 27, 2004, 07:48 PM »
Sure ;D!

All joking aside nice collection and thanks for the link.

DBK

Do keep in mind that a few of these (like the Legally Blonde movies) belong to my girlfriend.

Offline jjks

• Jedi Padawan
  • Belligerent as hell
    • View Profile
« Reply #700 on: October 28, 2004, 09:11 PM »

Coming 12/28.

I can't wait for this to come out, I think it's the only movie I've seen in theatres more than once this year.

Offline JediMAC

• Pretty in Pink
  • Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #701 on: November 3, 2004, 06:51 PM »
So I see Pirates of the Carribean just got re-released with a THIRD disc now.  ********.  Anyone buy it, or check out the new stuff?

Also, Fast Times at Ridgemont High just hit again...  What's the difference, and is it better than the prior one?

I hate all these re-releases!  Hasbro seems to be rubbing off on everyone these days!   >:(

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: November 3, 2004, 07:59 PM »
Just read this news:

Fox has a 2-disc Donnie Darko: Director's Cut set for 2/15/05 as well (SRP $26.98). The 253-minute version of the film will be presented in anamorphic widescreen with Dolby Digital 5.1 audio. Extras will include audio commentary with writer/director Richard Kelly and Kevin Smith, the Donnie Darko Production Diary (with optional commentary by director of photography Steven Poster), a storyboard-to-screen comparison, the Director's Cut theatrical trailer, and the They Made Me Do It Too: The Cult of Donnie Darko and #1 Fan: A Darkomentary featurettes.

I hope that's not a misprint... 253 minutes!! Over 4 hours of Donnie Darko. I can't wait. This was one of the greatest movies I've ever seen. If you haven't checked it out yet, do yourself a favor and grab a copy, even if it's just a rental from your local Blockbuster or whatever.

Anyone know of a site that lists what has currently been transferred to DVD?

I usually search one of two places to see if something is available:
1. Amazon.com - if it's out there, they will have a listing for it.
2. DVDProfiler.com - well, not the website, per se, but the software they have for tracking your dvd collection. The database is pretty packed with titles, including bootlegs - since the database is user contributed, it pretty much covers 99.9% of the DVD titles available - including "adult" titles and bootlegs. If you plan on amassing a collection, I would strongly recommend tracking your collection with one of these free software packages. You can see what the collection page looks like if you click here and check my collection. The interface is pretty easy to use, and it stores your collection online, so you can access it from anywhere.

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: November 3, 2004, 09:31 PM »
Holy crap that's a serious extended edition.

I don't upgrade movies that i already own unless there's a substantial change - that would qualify.

As for yesterday....Picked up:

Pirates of the Carribean 3 disc set - nothing too exciting on the extra disc...some behind the scenes and some documentaries.  I usually only get excited about deleted scenes and/or extended cuts but I didn't pick up this movie before and figured now was as good a time as any...more for the girlfriend than me though...

Also picked up:

Dr. Strangelove 40th anniversary edition
Ali-G - In Da House

Tomorrow at lunch I'm going to try to grab the nice version of Seven and trade in my old one since it's cheap at best buy this week for reward zone folks... then Friday is Shrek 2.

SilverZ

« Reply #704 on: November 3, 2004, 10:01 PM »
Also, Fast Times at Ridgemont High just hit again...  What's the difference, and is it better than the prior one?

Don't get it. Aside from the new packaging, the only difference in the disc is a new Dolby Digital 5.1 track and DTS equivelent (the movie has always been mono, as was the previous DVD). It sounds TERRIBLE. Don't bother with it if you have the original.