Author Topic: The Official JD Movie Review Thread  (Read 18844 times)

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: The Official JD Movie Review Thread
« Reply #15 on: May 26, 2003, 12:19 AM »
I just saw Catch Me If You Can Last night and it is one great movie.

You are absolutely right about that!  It is a great movie, and DiCaprio and Hanks were definitely at their best.  At first I was skeptical about those two working together in the movie, but they turned out to be a great tandem.
dustrho

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2003, 12:21 AM »
"Bruce Almighty"

Just saw this movie tonight with the wife and some friends and it's hilarious!  I was laughing louder than I have in an extremely long time!  Jim Carrey might be showing his age, but he was a riot.  Him and Jenifer Anniston were great together... they looked like a real couple.  If you're in a down and gloomy mood go see this... your spirits will pick up and you'll be all happy again.
dustrho

Offline Angry Ewok

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • The Ewok Village Idiot
    • View Profile
    • www.TowheeStudio.com
« Reply #17 on: June 6, 2003, 05:43 PM »
DVD Review, actually -> T2 Extreme DVD

Very nice DVD, all around good looking. Definately worth $15-20 if you haven't already picked up one of the other T2 DVD's.

Matrix Reloaded

Saw this a few weeks ago, all I could think is that whoever put the movie together really failed to catch the magic of the first one... I just wasn't really impressed too much.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 9, 2003, 01:12 PM »
Mikey D's Finding Nemo review:

Featuring the voices of Hank Scorpio, Anne Heches' ex of the female variety, Ray Romano's brother on Everyone Loves Raymond and the Green Goblin from Spider-man, among others, the latest Pixar film was an enjoyable film, bright with colors and texture.  The underwater scenes were breathtaking.

I'm not going to spoil anything, but the film deals with Hank Scorpio's over protective character, Marlin, trying to find his lost son, Nemo.  Along with Anne Heche's ex, he gets into mishap after mishap, adventure after adventure.  

You don't need kids to see this one, its an enjoyable film for adults as well (just ask me and the wife, who are kidless).  Try to keep an eye out for the typical Pixar cameos (Buzz, "Yo" truck, etc.)  And stay until the end of credits for a few suprises (which I found about today), which unfortunely we missed due to the wife's incredible small bladder (The movie isn't that long)

While nothing will compare to the original Toy Story and so far all the Pixar films have been excellent, this one ranks fourth (just above A Bug's Life, IMO.

A definite must see in the theater and a super must buy on DVD.
Common sense isn't so common

Jango Fettish

« Reply #19 on: June 9, 2003, 02:15 PM »
Jango's 2 Fast 2 Furious review:

2F2F is a total 180 from the original. What really helped this film out was the fact that it was directed by John Singleton this time around, which means lots of action, less dialogue, and was really fun to watch. Not to mention really cool cinematography.

Synopsis from IMDB.com: Paul Walker returns as former LAPD cop, Brian O'Conner, who teams up with his ex-con pal Roman Pearce (Tyrese) to transport a shipment of 'dirty' money for shady Miami-based import-export dealer Carter Verone (Hauser), while actually working with undercover agent Monica Clemente (Mendes) to bring Verone down.

Pros: Awesome chase sequences, unbelievable stunts, alot less stupid dialogue, and little to no exploitation of the all too common F+F sterotypes, i.e Asian biker gangs, Asian thugs, etc.

Ohhh, the rides in this movie are top notch. Yankos, Challengers, Chargers, Vipers, Saleen Mustangs, etc.
Theres the token souped up import, but even those were tastefully done! American Muscle is well represented.

Aside from the gratuitious action, and the INCREDIBLE "grand finale" in the garage, I'd have to say the best part of this movie is the way the Paul Walker and Tyrese act out their "long time, no see" childhood buddy kind of relationship. Some of the funniest comic relief I've seen in a movie in a long time.

Cons: The dialogue was a little too "safe" for my liking, hence the PG-13 rating. But hey, the action made up for it.

Paul Walker gets a bad rap as a "lifeless" actor, and it kinda shows here. His dialogue seems kind empty and forced at times, but usually picks right back up during the action scenes.

Overall: I'd give this movie 3 1/2 out of 4 stars, basically because the dialogue was kinda corny at times. But it's a definite step up from it's predecessor. I've referred to it as the "Miami Vice 2003" movie. However, Tyrese probably packs more of a punch than Philip Michael Thomas.

I've seen it twice now, and I'll probably be back for more.  8)

If you liked Gone in 60 Seconds or The Fast and the Furious 1, this ones for you.

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 9, 2003, 03:00 PM »
Dark_Count_Fatty's Mars Attacks review:

Well,its been seven years since its release and let me tell you its still hilarious!I won't give away the plot,but let me tell you,after seeing it about 45 times,it still makes you laugh.

Best scene:Martians zap the dove that the hippies release.

Worst scene:Not one that I can think of.

Overall score:A+
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Franny Glass

• Youngling
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2003, 09:18 PM »
I just recently saw Bend it like Beckham and it sure is the little English movie that could.  It's a coming of age story, but with a more interesting twist.  I highly recommend the movie. I mean the title alone draws you in.
I am a kind of paranoiac in reverse. I suspect people of plotting to make me happy.
--JD Salinger

Offline Vator

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2003, 02:36 PM »
Wrong turn was pretty good.
- June 22, 2004 12:13 AM -

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
American Pie 3...
« Reply #23 on: August 1, 2003, 11:35 AM »
Anyone going to see this?

I will but like always probably not for a few weeks until the stars and planets align and we can get a sitter.

I loved the first one, thought it was hilarious, the second one was OK lots of good moments but too much of the same.

I want to see this just to complete the trilogy I guess and just to see Stifler.  He may be one of the greatest characters of the 90's.
« Last Edit: August 1, 2003, 11:46 AM by OCB »

Offline dustrho

• Jedi Knight
  • AWESOME
    • View Profile
    • SANDTROOPERS.com
Re: American Pie 3...
« Reply #24 on: August 1, 2003, 11:37 AM »
Scott, I agree with every comment you mentioned.  The first one will always be the best one, and the second movie was good but not great.  I'll probably wait until this comes out either at the cheap shows or at Blockbuster Video.  I'm not dying to go see this anytime soon.
dustrho

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 1, 2003, 11:40 AM »
We'll probably go this Sunday to a matinee.  Loved the first two.  Saw the second one opening night.  Because of the punk ass teenagers, I really have no desire to see this tonight, so hopefully Sunday afternoon will be a good time.

And from what I'm hearing, this one is Stifler's movie, even moreso than AP2.

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 1, 2003, 12:13 PM »
Willow gets married? :'(
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 4, 2003, 09:23 AM »
Well, saw it yesterday afternoon and here's  my semi spoiler free review:

Not as good as the first two, but still enjoyable.  Definitely a lot of laugh out loud moments and gross out humor.  Stiffler definitely steals the show.  And the dead weight characters - Vicky, Heather, and Jessica - don't show up and if you think about it, their absence really doesn't need an explanation.  I would have liked an explanation on why Oz wasn't in the movie, but his absence doesn't really bother me.  He's one of my least favorite characters.  Nadia doesn't show up, but does get a few mentions.

And I have to say this about Fred Willard and Eugene Levy - comedic geniuses.  IMO, FW stole the show in Best in Show and Waiting for Guffman and in the few scenes he was in in AW were hilarious - the bachelor party scene is the first to come to mind.   EL as Jim's dad, funny as always.

And Michelle's sister.  Definitely

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #28 on: August 4, 2003, 09:38 AM »
Thanks for the review Mikey, sound sbaout what I have heard frtom everyone who has seen it... :)

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 4, 2003, 11:28 AM »
Yep my fiance and I saw it Saturday.  I agree with the above review.  Stiffler does steal the show.  I LMAO several times.  I could not help it :)  Still a fun show but not fantastic.