Author Topic: The Official JD Movie Review Thread  (Read 18984 times)

Offline Mainland05

• Jedi Apprentice
  • inventing a time machine :)
    • View Profile
Re: Monster!
« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2004, 11:16 AM »
It is a great moive, it is worth seeing.! ;)
Born & Raised Modesto Man. :)

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
Re: Miami Vice---Summer Blockbuster or Summer Bust?
« Reply #61 on: July 29, 2006, 04:10 AM »
Miami Vice...the horror.

If you thought The Matrix was puzzling in the beginning, go see Miami Vice. If you thought Anakin's dialogue was hollow in TPM, go see Miami Vice. If you think spontaneous sex makes a good basis for a love story, go see Miami Vice. If you just love cliches, go see Miami Vice. If you thought The Bourne Supremacy was filmed badly, go see Miami Vice. This movie will blow you away.

Here's how the movie starts: No opening credits...seemingly in the middle of the movie. There's actually a sign outside my theatre saying "Miami Vice does not have opening credits. The movie may seem to be starting in the middle, it is not. The movie is at the beginning." There as absolutely no explanation as to who characters are and where they come from...no way to identify with them. There is no character development at all during the grievous 2 hours and 12 minutes. Some parts of the movie use good quality film, such as the rooftop seen from the trailer. Most of the movie is filmed in the style of "C.O.P.S." however, and is terribly difficult to keep in focus as the camera is constantly moving up and down. Furthermore, if you blink during the film, you'll quite possibly miss a scene change which could be up to 24 hours in this setting. The filmmakers provide no transitions between any scenes, be it dynamic music, or dialogued explanation, making this Huge Summer Blockbuster more like a chopped up student film.

As an open-minded movie goer, I beg of you, wait to see this movie...listen to people you trust before you throw away your money. It really is a black mark on Hollywood, and a big letdown for Michael Mann.

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
Re: The Official JD Movie Review Thread
« Reply #62 on: July 29, 2006, 09:33 AM »
That sign is hilarious.  Reminds me of the first time I saw Grease.
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 29, 2006, 12:32 PM »
Despite the scathing review, I'm going to see Mimai Vice today. :P

I saw Monster House this past week, in 3D, and have to say that I was most surprised and entertained. The only fault of the movie is that it lacked a broader life lesson/real world problem for the main hero. That said, the characters were great and fun and the visuals were well done. Not a bad film at all to see in a pinch.
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline Jediknight760071

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 29, 2006, 07:37 PM »
Despite the scathing review, I'm going to see Mimai Vice today. :P

I saw Monster House this past week, in 3D, and have to say that I was most surprised and entertained. The only fault of the movie is that it lacked a broader life lesson/real world problem for the main hero. That said, the characters were great and fun and the visuals were well done. Not a bad film at all to see in a pinch.

Just remember...I warned you. :)

Offline Stim

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
Re: Miami Vice---Summer Blockbuster or Summer Bust?
« Reply #65 on: July 30, 2006, 12:23 PM »
Miami Vice...the horror.

If you thought The Matrix was puzzling in the beginning, go see Miami Vice. If you thought Anakin's dialogue was hollow in TPM, go see Miami Vice. If you think spontaneous sex makes a good basis for a love story, go see Miami Vice. If you just love cliches, go see Miami Vice. If you thought The Bourne Supremacy was filmed badly, go see Miami Vice. This movie will blow you away.

Here's how the movie starts: No opening credits...seemingly in the middle of the movie. There's actually a sign outside my theatre saying "Miami Vice does not have opening credits. The movie may seem to be starting in the middle, it is not. The movie is at the beginning." There as absolutely no explanation as to who characters are and where they come from...no way to identify with them. There is no character development at all during the grievous 2 hours and 12 minutes. Some parts of the movie use good quality film, such as the rooftop seen from the trailer. Most of the movie is filmed in the style of "C.O.P.S." however, and is terribly difficult to keep in focus as the camera is constantly moving up and down. Furthermore, if you blink during the film, you'll quite possibly miss a scene change which could be up to 24 hours in this setting. The filmmakers provide no transitions between any scenes, be it dynamic music, or dialogued explanation, making this Huge Summer Blockbuster more like a chopped up student film.

As an open-minded movie goer, I beg of you, wait to see this movie...listen to people you trust before you throw away your money. It really is a black mark on Hollywood, and a big letdown for Michael Mann.

Really?  Wow.  I had completely the opposite reaction to it.  I f'in loved every second of it.  It's an incredibly stylized movie -- more so than other Mann flicks -- and I guess it's not for everyone.   People don't talk in a "real" way at all and they don't stop for exposition, but those things weren't flaws for me -- they were part of what made it great.  I think Mann was really trying to challenge the audience -- you had to really pay attention and try to figure things out, and thusly maybe felt some of the confusion the lead characters felt.  But I don't think it was too complex -- nothing like Syriana which I still can't make heads or tails of -- and I was never confused for more than a beat or two.  As for no opening credits and throwing you right into the story -- I thought that kicked ass.  We got to know the characters throught the plotting and action of the movie, rather than having to suffer through a typical Hollywood "Meet the characters!" act one. 

But I'm probably in the minority here...I've been on the flip side of public opinion on most movies this summer for some reason.  HATED Superman, loved Lady in the Water.  Was really disappointed in Pirates.  Loved Monster House -- although one of the things I loved about it was the one thing Anthony criticized -- I was relieved there weren't these big, didactic, character arcs like in most family/kids films.  It was just old school Amblin fun, like Gremlins.
« Last Edit: July 30, 2006, 12:24 PM by Stim »

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #66 on: July 30, 2006, 06:45 PM »
We went and saw Lady in the Water the other night at the drive in....yes the drive in.  It was a double feature with You, Me and Dupree.  YM&D was pretty funny...Lady in the Water was a melange of fantasy and crap.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 31, 2006, 09:33 AM »
That sign is hilarious.  Reminds me of the first time I saw Grease.

???
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 31, 2006, 10:32 AM »
...Lady in the Water was a melange of fantasy and crap.

Yeah, that's what everybody predicted.  Too bad it held true.

What's really funny is the fact that the exec at Disney who passed on the film (after releasing his first four films) was just fired last week.

Offline Darth_Anton

• Jedi Sentinel
  • Whatever
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 31, 2006, 11:52 AM »
I didn't see Miami Vice due to a scheduling conflict. I am still planning to see it though.

I did see the Lady in the Water and have to say that I really liked it. While I will admit it's not the most solid film ever made, it tapped into the kid in me and I just fell for it. It's certainly not a film for everybody, but it is a film taylor made for me. ;D
Please subscribe to my YouTube Channel - The Imperial Communique -https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyEfCtMv1lWhxSH-B1Scr4g
"Snark is the idiot's version of wit."

Offline BillCable

• Jedi General
  • CreatureCantina.com SUCKS!!
    • View Profile
    • CreatureCantina.com
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2006, 12:10 PM »
That sign is hilarious. Reminds me of the first time I saw Grease.

???

Grease starts out with Travolta and Olivia Newton John laying on the beach making out, like the final scene of a movie.  I actually asked my wife if she forgot to rewind the tape before playing it.   ;D
Bill Cable - Steeler Fan & Star Wars Collector
  http://CreatureCantina.com       
"Cable is incapable of contributing anything positive to this world" - cstoj

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2006, 12:12 PM »
I saw Miami Vice last night... I loved the camera work, the direction, the look and feel... the story was about what I expected

But Collin Ferrel is so unbelievably horrible to watch that it practically ruined it for me.

The dialogue and soundtrack were also largely ****.

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2006, 12:39 PM »
I'm not a fan of Ferrel either.  Will or Collin.

I find it hard to believe the soundtrack was less than stellar but I should have guessed - the TV spot uses that Jay-Z / Linkin Park song.

You can't mess with Mann's directorial style though - I loved Heat and the direction behind Collateral (though I was disappointed in the later in terms of "story").

« Last Edit: July 31, 2006, 12:44 PM by ruiner »

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 31, 2006, 02:26 PM »
It was the same thing for me with Collateral as it was with Miami Vice... a stylish, well directed look - stuck with the questionable casting of horrible actors (Tom Cruise).

Offline ruiner

• Jedi Master
  • raised to be lowered
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 31, 2006, 03:36 PM »
Collateral was the last Tom Cruise movie I enjoyed.

I'm sure a lot of folks would agree with me...he used to be one of my favorite actors until you know what happened.