Author Topic: The Official Darth Big Boy, Bearer of Bad Celebrity News RIP Thread  (Read 392736 times)

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
Re: The Official Darth Big Boy, Bearer of Bad Celebrity News RIP Thread
« Reply #1485 on: December 27, 2016, 08:02 PM »
I got word about Carrie Fisher passing from my wife while I was on my way home from work early this afternoon.  And while I was well aware that her condition was grave following the medical emergency on her flight from London to LA, I had hope that she might pull though.  But this news has gutted me.

It's not just about Star Wars.  It's about CARRIE FISHER.  A tough lady who was whip-smart and able to cut to the quick better than most.  The first time I met her in 2002 at Star Wars Celebration I thought I would catch her off guard.  I had seen her play herself on the HBO show "Sex & The City" and really enjoyed her scene.  When I finally got in the room to meet her after waiting on line for hours and told her this, her response was "Yeah, it was a real stretch playing Carrie Fisher!"  I've been laughing over that for YEARS.  It was witty and in the moment and honest, and that's what I loved about her.  You weren't going to pull one over on her.  And she just kept up with that direct honesty when she went out to promote The Force Awakens last year, and it was fantastic.

I applaud her for being so open about her own trials with substance issues as well as mental illness.  And I'm sad because the mentally ill have lost one of their most articulate advocates in Carrie Fisher.

I think that in some ways we may have taken Carrie Fisher's portrayal of Leia for granted.  Even though George Lucas's concept for Star Wars was rooted in the Saturday matinees of Flash Gordon, Princess Leia was *NOT* your average damsel in distress.  She was tough.  She could navigate tough circumstances and be a leader of MEN.  In 1977 that was a significant concept.  What's funnier is that as Star Wars has moved through the prequel trilogy and on to the Disney era we have had a succession of strong female characters:  Padme, Rey and now Jyn Erso.  Those newer heroines seem to have drawn some criticism from some segments of our society.  And that's completely bizarre to me, because it was Leia that led the way thanks in large part to Carrie Fisher's tremendous portrayal of that character.

The Force Will Be With You, Always, Carrie Fisher.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline 77Skywalker

• Jedi Padawan
    • View Profile
« Reply #1486 on: December 28, 2016, 08:52 PM »
 :'( I'm still heartbroken over only the passing of Carrie Fisher and she will be missed.

Offline Jayson

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I am one with the Force and the Force is with me
    • View Profile
    • www.yakface.com
« Reply #1487 on: December 28, 2016, 09:03 PM »
And now her mother died. Jesus.  :-\
Yakface.com Owner/Content Manager
Follow me on Twitter - @yak_face / @JediJaybird

Offline Darby

• Jedi Knight
  • I'm not with that guy
    • View Profile
    • darbyharn.com
« Reply #1488 on: December 28, 2016, 09:04 PM »
My heart goes out to the family and friends of Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds. A singular tragedy in a year lousy with them.

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #1489 on: December 28, 2016, 09:07 PM »
Debbie Reynolds passed away this evening from an apparent stroke. More likely a broken heart.  :'(
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #1490 on: December 29, 2016, 01:41 AM »
Such a tragic time for their family, and I hope they're able to find the strength emotionally to get through it all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1491 on: December 29, 2016, 05:57 AM »
That is more than any family should be asked to bear.  Carrie Fisher's passing was tragic.  And it is unnatural for a parent to outlive their children.  I think the prospect of that proved too much for Debbie Reynolds.

But in true Carrie Fisher style, the fan who started the Twitter account for Gary Fisher, Carrie's beloved French bulldog, captured some of the complicated dynamics between these two extremely talented women:

@Gary_TheDog 
If Carrie was here I bet she would make a joke that it was just like her mom to upstage her even in death. #FindingHumorInTragedy
« Last Edit: December 29, 2016, 06:00 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1492 on: December 31, 2016, 06:20 PM »
From HBO:

In light of the recent and unexpected deaths of both Carrie Fisher and Debbie Reynolds, the documentary BRIGHT LIGHTS: STARRING CARRIE FISHER AND DEBBIE REYNOLDS will debut SATURDAY, JAN. 7 at 8:00 p.m. (ET/PT), exclusively on HBO. The story of a family’s complicated love, this documentary is an intimate portrait of Hollywood royalty in all its eccentricity. Carrie Fisher and her mother, Debbie Reynolds, live in the same Beverly Hills compound. The 83-year-old grand dame still has a Las Vegas act, but performing is taking its toll. Carrie’s response is both hilarious and heart-rending. Featuring vintage family films that bring iconic old-world Hollywood to life, as well as extensive vérité footage, the film is directed by Alexis Bloom and Fisher Stevens.

BRIGHT LIGHTS: STARRING CARRIE FISHER AND DEBBIE REYNOLDS has already received audience and critical acclaim at many prestigious film festivals, including the 2016 Cannes Film Festival, the Telluride Film Festival and the New York Film Festival.

In addition, as previously announced, the 2010 special WISHFUL DRINKING will receive an encore presentation this Sunday, Jan. 1 at 9:00 p.m. (ET/PT) on HBO. This feature-length adaptation of Carrie Fisher’s hit autobiographical stage production tells the intoxicating tale of her life, combining her raucous one-woman stage performance, interviews with family and friends, and archival footage.

Feedback

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1493 on: January 16, 2017, 01:05 PM »
Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
« Reply #1494 on: January 16, 2017, 03:34 PM »
Gene Cernan. The last man to walk on the moon.  :'(

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1495 on: January 16, 2017, 03:45 PM »
His hope would be that he would not be the last man to walk on the moon.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #1496 on: January 25, 2017, 02:45 PM »
Mary Tyler Moore has passed.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Phrubruh

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1497 on: January 25, 2017, 03:30 PM »
No! Not our Mary! :o
This message brought to you by Wookiee Cookiees - "MMM... Chewie!"
Visit The Endor Express - The Ultimate Guide to Disney's Star Tours

Offline McMetal

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #1498 on: January 25, 2017, 05:51 PM »
Aw crap. She was so great in her show and then that amazing performance in Ordinary People. Reminded me of my mom. Same hair.  :(
A character’s face is melted by fantastical energy

Offline P-Siddy

• Jedi General
    • View Profile
« Reply #1499 on: January 25, 2017, 06:09 PM »
The closest I got to MTM was her statue in downtown Minneapolis.