Author Topic: A Song of Ice and Fire (Possible Spoilers, tread carefully)  (Read 54908 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire (Possible Spoilers, tread carefully)
« Reply #60 on: September 30, 2011, 11:48 AM »
It has been such a crazy summer I haven't even bought Dragons yet.  :-[

Hoping once I get trapped indoors for winter I'll find time to buy/read it...
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: September 30, 2011, 02:09 PM »
I can only imagine what I'm in store for in A Dance of Dragons.  I'm nearly done with A Storm of Swords, and the turns that book has taken are pretty amazing.  Where to begin?  The Night's Watch storyline alone has been amazing.  The changes in Jaime Lannister's character.  All of the weddings.  And Dany's growing power in the east?  It's been leaving me chomping at the bit to start reading A Feast for Crows, but I know there's still more to take in in last hundred or so pages of volume 3.
"Call up a Hammerhead Corvette.  I have an idea."

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2011, 08:06 PM »
Finished Dragons last week...for the most part, I liked it the beginning was a little slow but the end made up for it.  Way better than Crows...I can see how these are really books 4a and 4b but I could see that they could have been together with some really heavy editing. 

The count starts now for Winter...I'll guess 4 years from now

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: October 15, 2011, 02:27 AM »
Well, you've got the television show to tide you over until volume 6 finally gets completed.  The series may be something that manages to light a fire under George R.R. Martin's ass.

I'll lay odds on 3 years.

Feedback

Offline Captain Piet

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • Ph.Geek.com
« Reply #64 on: October 16, 2011, 01:17 PM »
Was in on the panel here at NYCC last night. Good stuff.
Co-founder and contributor, PhGeek.com
"Dissertations in geek culture"
Podcasts every Wednesday on iTunes or http://phgeek.podbean.com/
Like us on Facebook, follow on Twitter @Geekswillrise

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 3, 2011, 06:08 AM »
Finished Dragons last week...for the most part, I liked it the beginning was a little slow but the end made up for it.  Way better than Crows...I can see how these are really books 4a and 4b but I could see that they could have been together with some really heavy editing. 

The count starts now for Winter...I'll guess 4 years from now

I just finished A Feast for Crows, and now I'm a few chapters into A Dance with Dragons.  And I agree:  it's like volume 4-A & volume 4-B.  As I read my way through A Feast for Crows I was left wondering what the hell had happened to a number of characters after the end of A Storm of Swords.  And it became very clear that A Feast for Crows had a somewhat more narrow focus on a number of storylines, most notably around the Lannisters.

It leaves me wondering: how will HBO handle this for the show?  After all, it seems as though the events of book 4 & 5 are happening concurrently.  I can't imagine that they would want to see an entire cast of characters just disappear (Jon, Dany, Tyrion, Stannis, etc) while the adaptation of book 4 focuses on the Lannisters, Brienne, Sam, Sansa, Arya & the Iron Men.  But the prospect of combining the two books for one big MEGA-SEASON just seems difficult to comprehend.
« Last Edit: December 3, 2011, 06:10 AM by Nicklab »

Feedback

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: December 17, 2011, 06:52 PM »
I can't believe I'm a good 600 pages into A Dance With Dragons.  The book is very aptly titled, at least in a figurative sense.  The various storylines weaving their way around and towards Dany are all pretty good, although some of the names of the Meereenese have made it a little difficult to keep track of who's who in her court.  Perhaps that was intentional on George R.R. Martin's part?

I'm also more than a little taken aback by the revelation of the son of Rhaegar.  I know that there's a good deal of speculation about another possible son of Rhaegar, but all through the series it seemed to be a certainty that when the Lannisters sacked Kings Landing at the end of Robert's rebellion that all of the Targaryens were killed.  Most notably BOTH of the children of Rhaegar and his Dornish princess.  The funny thing is that in the hiding of Prince Aegon we see history repeating itself in the way Jon Snow sent off the son of Mance Rayder.

Feedback

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 29, 2011, 09:00 AM »
GRRM has updated his website with a sample chapter from The Winds of Winter.

http://georgerrmartin.com/if-sample.html

Here is his blog about it.

http://grrm.livejournal.com/257002.html
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 4, 2012, 08:31 PM »
That's a pretty decent look at The Winds of Winter.  It's following an established storyline from Dance, but doesn't give too much away.

In the meantime I'm trying to find some other things to read in the interim.  That being said, has anyone read The Hedge Knight, The Sworn Sword or The Mystery Knight?  I got a Kindle Fire for Christmas, and I've been pondering what my first digital book purchase might be.

Feedback

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #69 on: January 4, 2012, 09:35 PM »
I have not...man you sure tore those books!

Offline Nicklab

• Jedi Sentinel
  • I saw we fight!
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 4, 2012, 09:45 PM »
I've still got 100 or so pages left in Dance, and I'm trying to drag that out a bit.  And I'm going to go back and give Game of Thrones a proper reading since I skipped over it, having seen the HBO series.

But the stories of Dunk & Egg seem worth checking out, since some of those stories do get referenced in the novels.  Egg being the brother of Maester Aemon, of course.

Lord knows that it's probably going to be a little while until George R.R. Martin gets around to publishing "Winds".  So I'm trying to find some additional reading material to fill that waiting period.

Feedback

Offline Symposium

• Jedi Initiate
  • I have Kubrickulosis™
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 4, 2012, 10:43 PM »
I've read those stories and recommend them as they're just as good as the ASoIaF series. I believe the fourth story is being published this year although I could be wrong.
"Pixelated beings are we, not this crude matter!"

Offline name

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I ate your llama!
    • View Profile
Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #72 on: January 12, 2012, 12:39 PM »
Reading Game of Thrones right now.  Surprised to find how closely the series followed the book...at least so far.
This sticker is dangerous and inconvenient, but I do love Fig Newtons.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
Re: Re: JD Book Club: What Are You Reading Now?
« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2012, 08:28 AM »
Reading Game of Thrones right now.  Surprised to find how closely the series followed the book...at least so far.

Ditto, although I haven't watch the HBO series yet. I'm not a big fantasy reader (really only LOTR), but I'm enjoying it very much so far.  It's not a tough read per se, but the amount of characters to keep track of is mindblowing.

I have the first four books and will buy the fifth when it's released in paperback.  B&N had them on sale right before Christmas buy 2 get 1 free and with a coupon I had, I got the first three (they didn't have the forth) for something like $19 total.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2012, 08:33 AM »
Welcome to the party!!  My suggestion is to not tear through them as you'll have plenty of time to wait for the next book!