Author Topic: Are there any products you endorse?  (Read 6866 times)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Are there any products you endorse?
« on: December 21, 2004, 11:58 AM »
I don't mean commercially, I mean personally.  As in are there any technologies that you've been pleasantly surprised by or anything that worked in just the manner you expected that you'd recommend? 

I bought my last winter jacket off ebay, a nice Summit Series North Face Gore Tex shell with a fleece jacket inside.  When I got it in the mail, it pretty much fit as expected and I knew Gore-Tex was a good product - breathable and water repellant as expected.  But when I tried on the jacket, the fleece inside was pretty damn thin.   No damn way that would keep me warmn in a Canadian winter.

In the past, I've worn fleece jackets as a layer - they are typically available in 100, 200, 300 weights - the higher the number, the heavier and warmer the fleece is.  The North Face fleece is probably about a 100 weight fleece.  BUT... it has a layer of Gore Windstopper fabric in it. And that's the product I've found a new respect for.  It is not, as I expected, warm enough for winter up here, so I added a 200 weight fleece vest (thanks MEC) underneath and now I'm as cozy as some dumbass Californian thinking it's cold at 60 F.  The windstopper layer does an amazing job of blocking the wind, much better than any conventional fleece jacket.  I first figured this out in Hawaii on top of Haleakala crater, where it was a little cooler and the wind was blowing pretty good, yet I was plenty warm. 

Gore-tex and Gore's Windstopper fabric get my nod of approval.  The former is no surprise, but the latter was to me.

So, anything you folks would stand behind as a quality product? 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
Re: Are there any products you endorse?
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2004, 12:08 PM »
I read about that Windstopper stuff in an article here about winter weather gear a few months ago.  Used in gloves and coats I guess its amazing how light they can make stuff now

I tried my damndest to get a job at Gore out of college.  The inventor of GoreTex (Bob Gore) was a grad student of the Prof I worked for in college (U of Minn) and I was really hoping that connection would at least get me an interview.  No dice :-[  Fascinating stuff though, GoreTex.  Its expanded Teflon and if you ever get a chunk of it, you could play with it for hours (I know I'm a nerd).  It also sort of ticks me off because Gore is a great company to work for I guess...oh well

Here is something I did work on and have bought and it works great! :)

No ugly silver tape.  Lasts 6x longer than the silver stuff and I worked on it, so...use it!
« Last Edit: December 21, 2004, 12:10 PM by Scott »

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2004, 12:23 PM »
I'd buy another Hyundai product in a heartbeat.

I've had my 2000 Elantra since well, 2000, and the only thing  I've had to do is regular maintenance. I did have to replace plugs and wires once, but that's pretty minor IMO.

Just had to change oil, tires, belts, and filters. I'd definately recommend these cars, if you can't spend a lot of money on a car, like me.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2004, 12:30 PM »
Apple Macintosh

Honda

Vasque Sundowner (Hiking Boots)

Dana Design packs

Room & Board Vermont Heartwood furniture
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Rob

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2004, 01:44 PM »
I've had nothing but good products with Toshiba and Honda...

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2004, 02:32 PM »
Well way back when, about ten years ago, my mom bought me a Sanyo 4 Head non hi fi VCR and that guy is still going stong. Never has it given me problems at all. And this is the VCR that would play the Star Wars movies every night as I was going to sleep. The tapes themselves are fubared, but that lil ol VCR is top knotch. Later on I bought a VCR that was Hi Fi, from Wal Mart and that thing tore up and ate my tapes, until one got stuck for good. Piece of s***, I should have never t tried to movie up, that lil guy is with me now and forever!!! ;)
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2004, 02:51 PM »
I'll second the notion on Honda for sure, but I'm no longer convinced the price premium is worth it.  Back when I was looking for my current car, I was looking at buying a 1998.  It came down to between a Nissan Altima and an Accord.  The price difference on the used cars?  $4000.  Honda would not budge.  Took a shot and bought the Nissan.  It's at 203000 kms or about 120000 miles.  The only thing it's needed done is a replacement of the catalytic converter.  Pain in the ass environmental, non-essential piece of crap :P but the car won't run without it. 

If I have a knock on Honda, it's the brakes.  My Accord, Civic and CRX chomped through them like no tomorrow.  Exhaust systems were a little more prone to early wear as well.  Still, a great car at Honda, but I'm pleased as punch with Nissan. 

We don't see much of the clear duct tape up here Scott.  Not sure why, but Canada is duct tape central (Red Green anyone?).  Love the stuff and some of my poor trading partners have seen it used in a pinch.  How does the clear stuff hold up in the cold?  That seems to be the big failing of grey duct tape - outdoor use in cold weather.  If this stuff is better, then I'm happy to buy it.  Indoors though the grey stuff has a special visual appeal :D
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Mikey D

• Jedi Knight
  • Lost soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2004, 03:24 PM »

That seems to be the big failing of grey duct tape - outdoor use in cold weather.

That's because it's not meant for outdoor use.  It's original use, surprise, was to tape HVAC ducts.  People have seemed to find a million other uses for it, myself included.  But it's original function is still it's most common use today.
Common sense isn't so common

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2004, 03:43 PM »
I'm fond of Adobe, Macromedia, Propellerhead, and Steinberg software products.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2004, 10:13 PM »
Doc Martin shoes and boots. Been wearing "exclusively" them for years.

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2004, 10:20 PM »
Oh and Mikey points out one thing I will NOT endorse

Uh...they break :-X

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2004, 11:46 PM »
Well I'm gonna go with Chrysler/Dodge/Plymouth cars (Save for Neons or their deviations)...  I've owned/driven several, all well beyond 100k.  Currently drive a Le Baron and love it to death...  Hell, my original Caravelle is running strong as ever, at pushing really close to 200k.

For pick-ups I think Fords are unbeatable IMO.  My father insisted on a Dodge, and may I humbly say NO to endorsing those...  overpriced and sketchy quality IMO.

Uhm...  I get custom PC's so I can't comment really other than the dude that built mine did a smashing job.

I endorse 21st Century Toys and BBI's 1:18 military toy lines as some of the highest quality, benchmark setting toys...  Few misses with vastly more hits.

I endorse several restaurants in Pittsburgh, including Pittsburgh Rare, Sesame Inn, Pittsburgh Steak Co., Buffalo Blues, etc.

I endorse Joe Boxer underwear...  Though I dunno how things are shaking now that they're at K-Mart.  ???

I endorse Rue 21 Clothing...  Cheap, and stylish.

I also endorse the Pittsburgh Steelers...  Here we go!

Oh, I endorse Craftsman Rotary/"Dremel" tool.  NOT Dremel.  Why?  Because it's the same damn tool but the Craftsman one is cheaper.  Inside the casing, the Craftsman atually has dremel labeled parts.  Don't be snookered folks!

I highly endorse nicely articulated, neutrally posed, decently made Star Wars figures.  :)

I endorse supporting www.FFURG.com for all your customizing needs.

And of course, I endorse www.JediDefender.com as the greatest little Star Wars site on the net.

I'm sure if I could think of more I would...  I just can't off-hand.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2004, 12:38 AM »
JJ have you no shame!?  ;D Great shill job man!

I, much like LJ, endorse Sanyo consumer products, I have a TV and VCR from Sanyo that are each well over 10 years old and neither have had a problem one bit. They've been going strong longer than my friend's Sony's or Philips or Samsungs.

I also endorse Coca-Cola, there is not a finer cola beverage in the world that a good old Coke! Too bad I can't drink as much as I once did.  :-[

I also endorse the continued survival of the Torrents P2P method of file-sharing. Long live the torrents!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Lady Jaye

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2004, 12:45 AM »
I, much like LJ, endorse Sanyo consumer products, I have a TV and VCR from Sanyo that are each well over 10 years old and neither have had a problem one bit. They've been going strong longer than my friend's Sony's or Philips or Samsungs.

Hey Corran if you like Sanyo products, you have got to check out their home page and see thier spectacular strides in solar techonology!!!! Impressive!!!!

Sanyo
"I off one fat Angelino and you throw a hissy fit."
-Vincent

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2004, 02:07 AM »
Long-live torrents eh?  I agree...  Too bad single files are fubar.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77