Author Topic: Anyone Into Monkeys?  (Read 7978 times)

Offline Jeff

• Administrator
  • Jedi Elder
  • Leave me where I lie
    • View Profile
    • www.JediDefender.com
Re: Anyone Into Monkeys?
« Reply #30 on: February 17, 2006, 05:06 PM »
So JJ,

Did you get a chance to catch the Curious George movie yet?

I think I might end up taking the nephews this weekend, just wondering if it's got your monkey stamp of approval?

Also, have you picked up any of the Toy Biz Curious George movie toys yet?  I kinda dig this "monkey in space" set:

« Last Edit: February 17, 2006, 05:06 PM by Jeff »
Editor-in-Chief  - www.JediDefender.com
On Twitter?  Follow JediDefender -> @jedidefender

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 17, 2006, 05:37 PM »
I've got a bunch of monkey stuff. I have the obligitory See No Evil, Hear No Evil, Speak No Evil sculpture. Got this great plush monkey at Comic-Con.

It's from the guy who illustrated "Everyone Poops". That and the fact that it's plush but has an uncanny ability to stand up sold me on it. :D I have some of those long-limbed plush monkeys with velcro hands/feet hanging on the clothes hooks on my closet door. I usually always get some kind of monkey on holidays. :) There's a little wind-up monkey on my desk. My mom gave me this little knick knack thingy. Oh, I have these great "Evolution of Man" PVCs too. They're ape-like... ;D

Oh yeah, I have these too.

« Last Edit: February 19, 2006, 01:44 PM by Ook »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2006, 03:20 AM »
I have NOT gone to see the new Curious George movie, and actually I'm a little disappointed in the animation.  CG got an updated look and I'm not totally fond of it really...  I like the simpler animation style he'd had since really his first designs.  I have some paintings of Curious George actually because I've always appreciated the sort of simplistic way he was drawn.

The new toon looks good for kids but not very heavy with adult humor like say Toy Story, so I'm not sure I'll be going to watch it anytime soon.  I don't have young kids to take who maybe would enjoy it I think... 

On CG animation stuff, I happen to have some VHS's I was bought a while back of Curious George in stop-motion claymation type animation.  Very weird, and I've never seen them anywhere for sale.  I got them as a birthday gift some years ago.  They're pretty cool...  Truer to the books I'd say, and they really capture Curious George's look perfectly.

On another monkey note, I am highly enjoying the "Career Builder.com" commercials out there where the guy works with a bunch of primates.  The best one is where they are partying to "Come on feel the noise" from Quiet Riot in the board room because they thing sales are up...  The boss is lighting a cigar with money, it's great (if you haven't already seen it) and then the guy (human) comes in and tells the chimps sales are actually down and he puts the graph they have rightside up...  But like Enron execs they turn it back around to where it was and continue partying and the boss demands that the guy dance with the other chimps.

That's just a classic commercial...  I laugh harder every time I see it I think. :)

There's a whole series of those that are really funny though.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline roguestormtrooper

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2006, 10:20 PM »
Yeah,  I think that commercial is great.  Instant Classic!!! ;D 

It really reminds me of some places that I have worked in the past. 

Offline Ian_C

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Bothan Spy
« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2006, 10:22 AM »
For the record, Curious George is NOT a monkey.

Monkeys have tails, among other identifying characteristics, that set them apart from apes.

CJ is representative of a chimpanzee, which is one of the three great apes (of which gorillas and humans are the other two).

I liked 'monkeys' enough that my university degree was heavily involved in the ancient history of them. ;)

Ian
Moderator - www.thebothanspy.com
Former Admin - www.snowtroopers.ca

Offline Ook

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2006, 02:02 PM »
CJ is representative of a chimpanzee, which is one of the three great apes (of which gorillas and humans are the other two).
Humans are classsified as apes....?! ??? :-X

Offline Ian_C

• Youngling
  • I'm a llama!
    • View Profile
    • The Bothan Spy
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2006, 11:51 AM »

Scientifically, yes.

Chimpanzees are over 99% genetically identical to us. ;)

Ian
Moderator - www.thebothanspy.com
Former Admin - www.snowtroopers.ca

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 23, 2006, 12:02 PM »

Scientifically, yes.

Ian

Sweet.  I'm going to fling some poo at my boss the next time she pisses me off.  :D

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2006, 01:57 PM »

Scientifically, yes.

Ian

Sweet. I'm going to fling some poo at my boss the next time she pisses me off. :D

By that same token, you can't complain about your wife if she nit-picks at you then ;)
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2006, 02:00 PM »
Oh yeah?  Poo flinging for her too.  >:(

Offline Darth Slothus

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2006, 03:29 PM »

By that same token, you can't complain about your wife if she nit-picks at you then ;)

I know I hate that.....so, by the flip side of that token I don't mind 'acting like an animal' around my wife either(farting, burping,picking nose,eating like a greedy pig,ball scratching, ect.).

Well, at least I  don't mind anyway. I swear next time, she gives me flak for doing one of the above and her or her Mother calls me an animal I'll just point at them, call em' hypocrites because they're 'nitpicking like animals' and leave it there(of course they're always right still ::))

But thanks though for fueling my Ire today!!! I can Use this...thanks. Hmmm... It's a sunny day, think I'll wear my wife beater tank top >:( 8) ;D
« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 03:31 PM by Darth Slothus »

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2006, 06:30 PM »
I'd ask if anyone's into primates but it doesn't sound as funny.  I knew the difference in monkeys and apes though...

My "monkey" fandom extends to animals with some similar traits and characteristics, like lemurs for instance, or a 3 toed sloth even.  Similar in a way, but not...

If it's monkey-ish I dig it generally.

Got my woman a great hand puppet monkey at TRU that screams.  I hid her Valentine's gift in it, but really the monkey was just great.  I didn't want to give it to her actually.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2006, 06:35 PM »
My "monkey" fandom extends to animals with some similar traits and characteristics, like lemurs for instance...

Well then I hope you've seen Madagascar.  It's a hoot.  8)

"Shut up everyone!"

Offline Tracy

• Jedi Apprentice
  • Call me "Your Highness" one more time........
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2006, 09:40 PM »
Well then I hope you've seen Madagascar.  It's a hoot.  8)

"Shut up everyone!"

"If you have any poo, fling it now"
"Y'all know you're the only ones with the Jesus fish in the titty bar parking lot" - Name
Cancer Sucks >:(

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2006, 04:34 PM »
I just saw a pretty funny show on the National Geographic channel. I only caught the end of it, but when I tuned in there was a group of monkeys playing at a water hole. They were swinging form the branches and vines and jumping into the water. Then they were swimming around.

They right at the end they found some moonshine some of the locals had left out and it was drunken monkey time. :D
"This is the way."