Author Topic: Star Wars: Empire At War  (Read 52063 times)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
Re: Star Wars: Empire At War (Coming Soon)
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2006, 07:17 AM »
I've heard a couple people reporting bugginess, but that's not necessarilly bad as most PC games have things that could use a fix and a patch comes out shortly thereafter, so I figure it's just minor stuff we'll see fixed like usual.

I'm working on getting a new computer, and then EAW will be mine.  :)
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
    • Every Action Figure Parody has a beginning.
« Reply #61 on: March 15, 2006, 01:28 AM »
I'm now working through the single player campaigns as the Rebel Alliance and I've found a few interesting tips:

1.  Stay away from the auto determine feature!  It does not taketactics into account at all.  I accidentally hit that once and lost a battle then later won another battle with a much smaller force.

2.  Don't worry about the next mission for one of your hero characters in the que.  My next mission is to get Capt Antilles all the way to the other side of the galaxy to stop some smuggler from talking, and instead of going there in a straight shot to solve it, I'm conquering all the planets on the way.  Apparently I don't have a set amount of time from keeping the smuggler from talking.

That's about it right now.  I've managed to create a sizeable force so far.  I have a bulk of it set up as an invasion force taking planets and a few smaller defensive forces to follow behind and protect planets along the border with the Empire.

Jesse, you'll love this game.  None of the resource gathering of battlegrounds, the graphics of Force Commander with a more intuitive interface.  A well done game!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2006, 03:45 AM »
It sounds really really nice Matt.

I gotta get a new computer...  I was just through a traumatic unwanted selling of my car because it was just not something I could afford to hang onto since I didn't need it and it was costing me to store it, so I'm hopefully gonna get a new PC shortly...  Then EAW will be mine! :)

Till then I'm just horsing aroudn with X-Box games I get on the cheap.   :-\
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2006, 10:44 AM »
I'm still trodding along in single player, but I was curious if anyone has played in Multiplayer yet?  Just curious on how the game holds up.  I've actually never played any of my RTS games in multiplayer yet.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2006, 07:16 PM »
I agree with those tips Matt. There's no time limit for defenses, so conquer planets and build up armies and defenses.

I find it good to build a huge space/ground fleet for conquering planets, and leaving small defenses with space stations at my controlled planets. A big space station and one of each ship available will stop any enemy space invasions, and a few troops and vehicles on the surface, along with stuff like turbolasers, should stop any small land invasion that takes place.

Just take your time when it comes to campaign, it's all worth it at the end.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2006, 11:43 AM »
I just finished the mission where Han and Chewie steal plans for large capital ships and you get Admiral Ackbar.  Shortly after, the entire galaxy opened up and the Imperial fleet started attacking my planets.  I think I'm about to lose Dantooine because I had no one there, other than the space station and a fleet just showed up.  I might have a little force building and planet retaking to do, but it should be fun!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
Re: Star Wars: Empire At War
« Reply #66 on: March 22, 2006, 08:19 PM »
Crap, I bought it, and got it downloaded.  Go to start, and it says I don't have a 3D hardware... damnit!!!  So I am trying to download something from http://downloads.guru3d.com/ - I don't know if this will help me or not though.  I swear, it's always something...

:P

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #67 on: March 22, 2006, 08:21 PM »
Crap, I bought it, and got it downloaded.  Go to start, and it says I don't have a 3D hardware... damnit!!!  So I am trying to download something from http://downloads.guru3d.com/ - I don't know if this will help me or not though.  I swear, it's always something...

You sir, need a new computer. ;)
"This is the way."

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #68 on: March 23, 2006, 12:48 AM »
If you don't have a 3D Graphics Card CHEWIE, you're not gonna be able to run it irregardless of downloads. 

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 23, 2006, 10:59 AM »
Thanks guys.  I did have a 3D graphics card on my computer.  I dropped it off at the shop again (4th work order on it since March 2nd) as I know they didn't keep that component in.  Hell, they disabled Word on it and it won't reinstall, screwed up my USB ports, and now this.  Looks like no home PC for CHEWIE for a while again.

Offline Diddly

• Jedi Master
  • SECede
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2006, 12:08 AM »
Sorry to hear about your PC problems CHEWIE. Get them fixed so you can play this great game!

I just finished the mission where Han and Chewie steal plans for large capital ships and you get Admiral Ackbar.  Shortly after, the entire galaxy opened up and the Imperial fleet started attacking my planets.  I think I'm about to lose Dantooine because I had no one there, other than the space station and a fleet just showed up.  I might have a little force building and planet retaking to do, but it should be fun!

Damn, sounds great. I'm stuck on that 2nd Rebel mission where you have to use Y-Wings to disable the shuttles and have Antilles rescue them. I always get down to the last shuttle, and then things fall apart, since the Y-Wings can never neutralize the shuttle. They start shooting, and then the shuttle blows up. It's very annoying.
http://diddlyscoop.blogspot.com
Twitter: @travis_banks

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2006, 12:52 AM »
I went into that mission with a butt-load of y-wings, that Ion cannon feature they have does a great job of diabling the shuttles.

It comes in handy in later missions agains Star Destroyers as well.
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 28, 2006, 01:31 PM »
I haven't played it since Saturday, but I am hooked on this game.  Tons and tons of space battles.  Build up those Ion Cannons on your planets with a good space station and you have a good defense.  Add a few capital ships and a blockade runner or two, and you're in great shape to defend against the Empire.

The Assault Frigate MKII is just awesome.  Go into battle with a couple of these supported by Blockade Runners and you're in great shape when attacking space stations or Star Destroyers.  Add a few X-Wings and Y-Wings and you're set!

I haven't been able to take over Mon Calamari yet though on the land battle, I guess I need to build a bigger force.  That damn shield generator is giving me problems.

Offline Matt_Fury

• Jedi General
  • I aim to misbehave.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 29, 2006, 06:58 PM »
Just make sure you have a couple squadrons of Y-wings with your ground force and you can do bombing runs.  They come in real handy!
This is the way.

I have spoken.

Offline Ryan

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Master
  • Destiny is all
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2006, 11:47 PM »
I haven't played it since Saturday, but I am hooked on this game.  Tons and tons of space battles.  Build up those Ion Cannons on your planets with a good space station and you have a good defense.  Add a few capital ships and a blockade runner or two, and you're in great shape to defend against the Empire.

The Assault Frigate MKII is just awesome.  Go into battle with a couple of these supported by Blockade Runners and you're in great shape when attacking space stations or Star Destroyers.  Add a few X-Wings and Y-Wings and you're set!

I haven't been able to take over Mon Calamari yet though on the land battle, I guess I need to build a bigger force.  That damn shield generator is giving me problems.

I did it with a raid squad with only 1 Infiltrator squad. You just have to use the Mon Cal Natives for everything, it takes awhile but you don't lose any of your own guys.

Just set it on Fast Forward and send the mon cal on repeated suicide missions. and then use your bombers to bomb whatever they see.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2006, 11:59 PM by Ryan »
"This is the way."