Author Topic: Ever get somebody hooked on Star Wars?  (Read 3391 times)

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Ever get somebody hooked on Star Wars?
« on: January 5, 2005, 01:06 AM »
Have you ever gotten someone you know hooked on Star Wars?

One of my best friends works with me, and knows all about my Star Wars obsession. He's about the same age as I am, and he had all the toys when he was growing up. Then, like most kids, outgrew his toys, sold them and moved on. He just hasn't falled back into that second childhood that some of us here did.

Anyway, he was over my house back in early December, and he saw the Stormtrooper busts from Gentle Giant, and was remarking how awesome they were, and how the Stormtrooper was his favorite figure as a kid. So of course, when Christmas rolled around, I picked up an extra GG Stormtrooper bust for him, as well as going through some extra vintage figures that I had laying around and gave him those as well - I guess about 20 - 25 loose figures, including 2 or 3 Stormtroopers. Since then, he's gone totally ape**** about Stormtroopers, picking up 2 12" VOTC and a few other odds and ends here and there. I think his wife wants to kill me now, since he just put up a new shelf in the basement to house his newfound love - Stormtroopers. He hasn't fallen in 100% just yet, but I'm working on it  ;)

And now, he's also picking up some Clone Trooper stuff too, since they are so close in resemblance to the Stormtroopers. I told him about those EE exclusive packs, and he said he was going to order them.  ;D

A job well done, if I do say so myself.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Re: Ever get somebody hooked on Star Wars?
« Reply #1 on: January 5, 2005, 01:33 AM »
Good job Dave, must be cool to initiate someone into the collecting fold. The closest I can say that I've hooked someone on Star Wars is by espousing my love for the untouched Original Trilogy, 2 of my friends refuse to watch the SE's and new DVD's. Just 2 people today, but soon enough I'll convinced enough people that Lucas will be forced to release the untouched OT on DVD!!!  ;D
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 5, 2005, 01:44 AM »
He had Star Wars before her right? So what's she got to complain about? Isn't she part of a larger social fabric that replaced his childhood love affair with Star Wars? Really it just represents a balance between old and new(er) loves.

Marriages and love are fragile things anyway... Crack your buddy a few more Stormtroopers and I'm sure his wife will head to city hall to file the papers. Better yet, just get him to register here. That would be nail enough for the ol' marriage coffin.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #3 on: January 5, 2005, 02:17 AM »
I'm sure his wife would **** if she saw any of our collections.

Can't say I've ever started someone on the path to collecting, but I'm sure I've been used as an example of what NOT to do with your spare time and money by some people.  :D
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 6, 2005, 11:17 PM »
I'm sure his wife would **** if she saw any of our collections.

I'm pretty sure MY wife is going to **** when she finally figures out how much crap I have. ;D  That'll be a really, really fun day. 

I got a guy at work hooked on star wars stuff.  He was like Dave's buddy, he had all the toys when he was a kid (he's about 31 right now, so perfect age).  His mom sold off his vintage stuff including a vinyl cape Jawa at a garage sale.  Sadly it wasn't me that got them. 

He started work in the office beside mine, turns out we went to the same high school, about 10 years apart and grew up in the same area, so we had lots to talk about.  I only had a few toys in my office at the time but he liked them.  First thing I got him hooked on was the Clone trooper helmet exclusive that came with the cereal here in Canuckada back during ep II.  Then I started selling him my spares that I always ended up with from trades.  He was hooked big time.  He even has an item I do not: the Ep II electronic Mace Windu saber.  Bastard.  I'll get it from him yet (unless I dump all the plastic in favor of F/X MRs). 

He fell out of it though once LOTR started.  He just felt he had too much stuff to catch up on (he really only started during Saga, so he had to go backwards from POTJ).  He has all of the LOTR figs released, except the Orc Warrior, so he's got a pretty good pile of that crap. 
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Dimetrodon

• Jedi Padawan
  • Gort
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 7, 2005, 12:04 AM »
Have you ever gotten someone you know hooked on Star Wars?

One of my best friends works with me, and knows all about my Star Wars obsession. He's about the same age as I am, and he had all the toys when he was growing up. Then, like most kids, outgrew his toys, sold them and moved on. He just hasn't falled back into that second childhood that some of us here did.

Anyway, he was over my house back in early December, and he saw the Stormtrooper busts from Gentle Giant, and was remarking how awesome they were, and how the Stormtrooper was his favorite figure as a kid. So of course, when Christmas rolled around, I picked up an extra GG Stormtrooper bust for him, as well as going through some extra vintage figures that I had laying around and gave him those as well - I guess about 20 - 25 loose figures, including 2 or 3 Stormtroopers. Since then, he's gone totally ape**** about Stormtroopers, picking up 2 12" VOTC and a few other odds and ends here and there. I think his wife wants to kill me now, since he just put up a new shelf in the basement to house his newfound love - Stormtroopers. He hasn't fallen in 100% just yet, but I'm working on it  ;)

And now, he's also picking up some Clone Trooper stuff too, since they are so close in resemblance to the Stormtroopers. I told him about those EE exclusive packs, and he said he was going to order them.  ;D

A job well done, if I do say so myself.

job well done? you ruined his life!!  ;D haha

My friend Joey has been a mild SW fan since I've known him the last few years and he too has been sucked in. He witnessed me playing a round of the new SW minis game back in september, and became enthralled by it. He Started reading all the comics and soem books, collecting a few bits and pieces, even bought a bootleg of the Original Trilogy on eBay. He talks about how he'd love to make a SW movie too, a new one taking place thousands of years before the prequals. I dunno, I feel responsible for his actions, but he was already a fan anyway. But it's still cool being friends with another space junkie.

Offline jkno

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 9, 2005, 03:12 AM »
My little cousin Roby became a fan of SW because of me. Now I get for him toys and other SW stuff and he even has a nice Action Fleet collection :)

Offline Shannon (Princess)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #7 on: January 9, 2005, 02:41 PM »
Ya know, I'd much rather have a husband who collects SW, or something else, as long as it could fit into our budget, than out doing a lot worse.  Maybe I'm prejudiced though.
Oh, and as a side note, I have a date tomorrow night w/ a guy I picked up in the action figure aisle at Target.  It's a long story, but anyway, at least I know it can happen.  Wish me luck!
You are starting to damage my calm.

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 9, 2005, 02:44 PM »
It's probably easier for chicks to pick up guys in the action figure aisle then the other way around  ;)

Good luck  :D

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #9 on: January 9, 2005, 10:05 PM »
It's probably easier for chicks to pick up guys in the action figure aisle then the other way around  ;)

Thanks!  Actually, to clear it up- he asked me out, but it took running into him a second time before he had the guts.  He asked pretty quick though, and said he regretted not asking the first time. 

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2005, 02:17 AM »
Good luck!  And at least you know he's going to waste his money on toys, not booze (or whatever other unacceptable expense should be inserted there).  Let us know if he turns out to be a Jedi or Sith.  :)

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2005, 01:19 PM »

Amen to that.  I had to hide my uber-geekiness until well after we were married ;)  Good luck on your date! :)

• Jedi Initiate
  • Ooh, Lortab!!!!!!
    • View Profile
    • Beru has issues...
« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2005, 10:34 PM »
Okay, so date is over.  It was nice.
Nice is good.  It wasn't WONDERFUL.  It was a first date, no kiss, but I gave him the door block.  Not sure if it will lead anywhere.  He was wearing a knock off Revenge of the Sith shirt, I don't think that is a good sign.  Hmm... You know, I haven't found out if he's a Jedi/Sith/Bounty Hunter fan.  He seems a lot more into the comics than SW. 

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2005, 11:49 PM »
It's not all bad, lots of us started with comics ;)  And while the shirt is not really a bright move, it might have been innocently stupid since he knows your like of the SW franchise, so he might have trying to be cute.  Guys are stupid, you know that, right?

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2005, 02:34 AM »
I think I'd have waited till the second date for the SW t-shirt.

It might have been a good idea, considering your shared interest, but, eh.
My dating advice sucks. I couldn't keep a Jessica Simpson lookalike that was just as dumb.
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk