Author Topic: Urban exploration  (Read 2011 times)

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
    • greatest blog ever written.
Urban exploration
« on: January 8, 2005, 11:43 PM »
Urbex

This kinda looks like fun. There's quite a few  run-down, yet ornate old houses and buildings around here I'd like to tour.

I get a sort of creeped-out feeling looking at all these old hospitals and asylums. Add to it that these in the link are all from Great Britain, and that creepiness just grows. Not due to the people, but mostly from the Victorian era and its attitudes and architecture.

I don't think this is totally Victorian, but...
don't you know there ain't no devil, there's just God when he's drunk

Offline jokabofe

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
Re: Urban exploration
« Reply #1 on: January 9, 2005, 12:14 AM »
Yeah, if there was anywhere around here that I could go and do that, I most definitely would. There was a show on MTV not too long ago where they would make people spend the night in places like this and record what they were doing. And they would give them tasks and stuff that they had to do to win some cash and what not. I always wanted to be on that show, since I've always been fascinated with ghosts and the supernatural, and checking out some of these old abandoned asylums and hospitals fits right in there.

Cool site, and some of those pics are really cool.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 9, 2005, 02:38 AM »
There's some pics this guy has of strange mist and stuff. One looks like a ghost even.

It's probably just dust and the light from the camera, but it adds to that whole creep factor if you think it's a ghost. :)

Offline Xander

• Jedi Initiate
  • She-mantis, Ampata, Anya…a true demon magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2005, 07:54 AM »
Man, that's a cool site.  I've done some of that exploring around town.  One time we went to this old steel mill that had been shut down.  Bizzare, crazy stuff. Still had Hustler centefolds on the walls.  Also, my friend took me to this shut down hospital on an island just east of Manhattan.  I forget the name, but you take a lift to it.  Some old TB hospital or something.   

I just remembered in high school we used to go to this abandoned insane asylum! At night, completely dark! Talk about scary. 

I'm going to look through this.

Offline Darth Paul

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2005, 01:46 PM »
Urban exploration is a neat concept. 
I'm lucky enough to work in a job (grip on film sets) that takes me to many places off-limits to the general public.
I have been in many closed hospitals, factories,  and warehouses.  I have been inside abadonded houses and mansions that are falling apart.  I have been on the roofs and in the basements of many illustrious hotels, as well as the most expensive rooms and penthouses as well.
I have even been inside sewage treatment plants and the morgue, which is probably the most unpleasant place I've ever spent 10 hours.
All this and I get paid to do it!  One of the few perqs of working in the "glamourous" movie biz ;)

Offline Scott

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Guardian
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 01:28 PM »
Scariest thing I have ever done is to sneak in to an shut down Meat Packing plant...at night...I still have nightmares :-\

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 05:00 PM »
Here's a better site:

http://www.urbanexplorers.net/

We used to do this all the time in Dallas and in Lubbock (where I went to college). Most big cities have vast underground tunnel networks that are fun to explore. Just remember: it's illegal (trespassing), and with the current state of affairs regarding terrorism, you have to be VERY discreet in your endeavors or else you might be mistaken for a terrorist who is trying to scout a location for some dastardly act. They go into it in pretty good detail on the website.

Offline Ben

• Jedi Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2005, 06:09 PM »
I just got done watching a show on the Discovery Channel about this very thing.

It's on at 4 PM Central. They were just in Milwaukee in this episode.
Tomorrow is the Chicago one.

It's a pretty damn good show.  :)

Offline Jesse James

• Staff Member
  • Grand Master
  • Slippery When Poopy
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2005, 10:15 PM »
May have to check that out...

Pittsburgh's got a lotta old buildings around sort of like that.  Old Assylums and whatnot that are usually overgrown now by the surrounding woods and things.  Creepy but they never get torn down or anything.  One was to go down because of a Wal-Mart that wanted to be built where it stands but the people in the area fought the WM so it still sits there.  A guard is paid to watch over it and that's all.
2011 Rebel Fleet Trooper Gets My Seal Of Approval!  But Where's The Friggin' Holster On Him!?
Jedi Defender.com Contributing Editor, Twitter @JediDefender & @Jesse_James77

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2005, 02:34 AM »
I'll have to remember to check out the Chicago episode. When I was a kid there was this old house next to this playground I always went to. For a long time this old lady lived there, but here children eventually moved her out and put the house up for sale. It sat there for a long time for sale, so us kids figured a way in the house (open window) and used to always explore it and gave it a rich history of being haunted and whatnot. I know not necessarily the same thing, but the idea brought back some fun memories. Like this one old apartment building that I used to live across the street from. It was mostly abandoned, so me and some friends made one apartment like our clubhouse. There was a dummy elevator shaft we would use to get into the apartment, there was an old pool table with most of the balls still there. Was fun, until we realized one of the local gangs had made it there safe house, when my dad found out he made sure I never went back there again with a thorough whipping. Ahh good times, good times...
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot