Author Topic: ROTS Figures: Buying Extras for Other Movies/Displays?  (Read 1702 times)

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
ROTS Figures: Buying Extras for Other Movies/Displays?
« on: April 11, 2005, 01:26 PM »
As I think Scott has brought up before with the various Jedi from the ROTS line, it seems like a lot of these figures (particularly Coll 2) are so much better than previous incarnations, it becomes tempting to buy extras to stick in your other movie displays.  Have any of you been doing this, or planning to?  I know I've been tempted to pick up extras of the following:

Collection 2 Jedi (Ki Adi, Aayla, Plo, Kit, SaeSee, Barriss, Shaak Ti, Agen Kolar) - For TPM/AOTC.
Emperor Palpatine - Seems much better than the Saga Emperor we got, would like to get one for ROTJ.
C-3PO - Basically the best 3PO we've seen.  Missing the "silver leg" for OT I guess, but I think I could look past that.  I might end up getting an extra one of this one either way.
Darth Vader - Could work for other movies as well, although not necessarily the best figure in the world.  Certainly not VOTC quality.

Anyways, are there any you are buying extras of, aside from army building and/or having a carded/loose collection?

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
Re: ROTS Figures: Buying Extras for Other Movies/Displays?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2005, 01:54 PM »
I'm not.  Outside of clones, it's doubtful I'll buy multiples of any of them.  (It's too expensive to do up here for one thing).  I agree wholeheartedly that many of these are better figures but I like having one of each figure.  The A-wing pilot, for example, sucks crap, but I still want one.  Or two :-[  The POTF2 orange carded figures, relative to more modern figures, suck kaka, but I still like them too. 

Part of the issue for me is how to display things.  I like to, and generally now do, display by movie, so each figure goes along into one of six sections.  More current sculpts are part of ROTS, not AOTC or TPM, regardless of whether the character appeared there.  I've thought of changing that up and displaying them by character, in an evolutionary approach.  Start with young Anakin and place the figures in chronological order through to the Spirit Anakin.  It would get a bit tough placing the Vaders chronologically, to a point, but you get the idea.  I've seen it done and it looks kind of neat. 

The space issue creeps in too, so I can understand bagging and boxing a crappier sculpt, but for me, my favorite sculpt is not always the most recent.  I really like the Kit Fisto non-animated Clone Wars figure.  I also like the the ROTS figure, but I don't hate the AOTC figure, in spite of supporting arguments that he would be the weakest of the three.  So what to do?  Keep 'em all out?  I've said it a million times already, but with a move looming (looking like we'll build now, taking possession late 05, early 06) I've had no point in putting up more shelves.  Once I do however, the space issue will resolve itself in a substantial fashion.  Of course I say that now, not having even 1/4 of my stuff on display :-\

The only thing I may consider is getting another Mace because the head sculpt is about as good as it's been, so popping that head on a seemingly properly sized Mace (without action features?) is tempting.
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline Darth Broem

• Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2005, 02:08 PM »
I am lucky to get one of each at this point.  I think my wife is starting to reach the peak of her toleration for my SW addiction.  I will have to back off of the ROTS purchases for a few weeks here. 

Offline Brian

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2005, 02:25 PM »

Yeah, I've kind of gotten to that point as well.  She has been very tolerant of all the purchases, particularly with the big onslaught lately, and I'm definitely going to be doing my best to slow things down here now.  Luckily, the "release day" is really just a one time thing, and although it might continue to be an expensive year, since it is a movie year, it should get back within "normal" realms now.  I've definitely found myself being the bargain shopper as much as possible, and looking for the lowest price.  I've even contemplating cancelling my order for the Clonetrooper 4-pack at EE, but haven't pulled the trigger on that yet.  Not that the figures aren't great, I'm sure they will be, but $35+ for it seems kind of pricey to me.  We'll see.  I'm trying to decide if I'd rather put that money towards ROTS clones instead (or something else).  Anyways...back to topic...I don't know that I'll buy extras of much either, perhaps an Emperor or a 3PO.  The Jedi I can be happy with 1 of each, but they sure do seem worlds better than the AOTC offerings.  If space becomes more of an issue, I might just have to consolidate things into "prequel trilogy" and "original trilogy", and take the best representations of each character.

Offline CHEWIE

• Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 03:01 PM »
Yeah, I've bought a couple extra of each Jedi to replace their older versions in my TPM and AOTC dioramas.   

Money-Money-Money!  :)

:P

Offline Nathan

• Jedi Knight
  • Destroying the hobby one EU figure at a time.
    • View Profile
    • The Clone Wars Unofficial Site (in carbonite)
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 04:58 PM »
I only have one display/diorama going at a time, but I do reuse figures in the "wrong" movies. The only ones I buy duplicates of, are army builders, guards, background aliens, etc.

Right now I have a nice Clone Wars setup--separate shelves for Republic and Confederacy, and CW books on the next shelf below. I have more Republic than CIS figs. The Republic shelf has a plastic stepped thing so the back rows can look over the heads of the ones in front; the CIS shelf is in total disarray at the moment.

While all the characters are Clone Wars, the figures themselves are from a variety of sources--for example, Saga AOTC Palpatine, Saga AOTC Nikto Jedi, Clone Wars non-animated Saesee Tiin, ROTS Clone Trooper, POTF2 Red Guards, Episode I Sneak Preview STAP, Ep I Jedi Duel Obi-Wan as a generic Padawan, and Admiral Ozzel and POTJ Imperial Officer subbing as Republic officers since the uniforms are very similar. I even have Animated Grievous and Asajj Ventress standing in until I get the "real" versions.

Eventually some of these will be replaced with ROTS counterparts as I acquire them, although it's on a figure-by-figure basis, considering which one is superior or simply "cooler".
« Last Edit: April 11, 2005, 06:14 PM by Valin Kenobi »
Twitter: @OKeefeNathan
Blog: Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Fanboy (in carbonite since '09, back someday)