Author Topic: Spybot question  (Read 1402 times)

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
  • I can't think of anything witty to say...
    • View Profile
    • The Power Of The Customizer
Spybot question
« on: January 17, 2005, 12:22 AM »
For those of you using Spybot Search & Destory ver 1.3 I have a question about an annoying action taking place with the prog. Every time I run the program, it ends early, maybe 10% complete, as it tries to access either the win.ini or system.ini file. The funny thing is that it indicates the search has completed, despite the fact that said file cannot be accessed since it is in use. Has anyone had this happen to them before and do you know how to get around it?

Thanks in advance!
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline DSJ™

• Staff Member
  • Jedi Council Member
  • Bouncy! Bouncy! I'm An Insane Kubrickaholic!™
    • View Profile
Re: Spybot question
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2005, 08:58 AM »
I installed the new Spybot 1.3 and had problems with it, once the scan was done, I then clicked "Fix Selected Problems", it went through it's thing then it just hung there. I tried it a couple of more times & ended up with the same thing, it just froze up.

I just landed up uninstalling it as I was not too impressed with this version. I have the old version on a CD somewhere, just don't know which one.  :-\  That one worked way better!

Offline JesseVader08

• Retired Staff Member
  • Jedi Sentinel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2005, 10:17 AM »
I've been running version 1.3 for a little while now, but I haven't run into these problems.  Maybe I'm just lucky?  It seems to be a program that is great when it works and terrible when it doesn't - based on the reviews I've read on download.com.

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2005, 05:58 AM »
jesse, thanks for the link. some interesting reviews, though nothing related to my problems. some of the problems in the review were likely user error, but the wackiness I'm experiencing is something else. I think I'll take dale's idea and just re-install a previous version and try to find any definition file upgrades for it.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin
- Vintage Needs: Micro Collection Snowspeeder box and pilots, Micro Collection X-Wing pilot

Offline CorranHorn

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 01:56 AM »
so I ran Spybot v1.3 to see if I could figure out where it would crap out but after a couple of runs, I couldn't determine the crap out spot since it almost seemed random. on a lark I decided to run the auto update section of the prog and it uploaded new definitions. when spybot ran after the update it didn't crap out until the very end on 3 consecutive runs. still haven't found anyone else to have had this problem, I can't imagine its just me though.
Jason F.

- FFURG Admin