Author Topic: Apple's Tipping Point and Marketing 101  (Read 4537 times)

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
  • open for interpretation
    • View Profile
Re: Apple's Tipping Point and Marketing 101
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2005, 08:33 PM »
The Apple corporation is somewhat disgusting to me, I am a die hard PC person. Their computers, from all of my experiences along with that of my co-workers and friends who are all in the networking field agree. The machines are far too limited in their capabilities and their operating systems are far from stable. Sure they are nice for editing photos (don't know why exactly), but I find them to attempt to win people over by looking trendy. Trendy does not cut it in a world where functionality is everything. Windows dominates the computer world (as shown by sales and usage records). Now to top all of this off, I am a Linux man when it comes to servers. Apple bases their OS off of Linux, which I find to be amazing in how they can screw up something that is so good. Linux at the desktop at this point does not seem reasonable for businesses, I will give you that, but a world of wonders is that of a Linux server. Sit any guru down at a Linux command line console and watch the magic of what can be done. Case in point is that Apple attempts exploit people are are somewhat ignorant to operating computers by their "ease" of use (keep in mind I was not saying that all who use the Apple are ignorant to computer operations) and their "artsy" look and feel. Lastly, look at their computer prices! Ouch. For what you get, they are not a great value. They require such "fast" equipment because there mediocre at best OS will not function at all without the best of equipment (or you would think, MAC likes to boast how its components are "better" than PC components, but it is often forgotten that the numbers they throw out are not equal to that of a PC.) My sister has an I POD mini, its a nice and simple device. It looks pretty... it plays music..... when the battery dies you are screwed or have to send it in or whatever.... but it looks nice.....

</rant>

Thanks Chris, but that's not what this thread is about.

This thread is about targeting specific markets, brand planning that is executed over years and "getting inside the mass market price barriers" to increase market share. We could talk about a recent Marker (ski apparel manufacturer) internal email that asked employees "where Marker was heading". They received different answers from every respondant. And they were probably ALL correct, because that's where each of them was taking the Marker brand each day. Marker is in some ways at the beginning of the curve outlined in the diagram above. They have a high end product like Descente, without the mass name appeal of North Face across markets outside the ski industry. Marker is beginning to search for it's Mac Mini trojan horse into the mainstream.
"Regime change, like charity, begins at home." - Ira Glass, This American Life

Offline Chris

• Founder
  • Administrator
  • Jedi Knight
    • View Profile
    • JediDefender.com
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2005, 09:24 PM »
I agree that I did get off course, but I believe that my comments regarding their trendy-looks and their target to the less educated computer user is pertinent to this discussion. Their brand planning seems to be just that, exploiting people into thinking their products are "easy", "good looking", etc. They can target the markets of the I Pod or their cheaper end computers, but the marketing is a bit false in my opinion. Targeting a cheaper audience they may be, but the products are still the same. I personally think that they will succeed yet again to a portion of this market by making their items "pretty".

Offline Morgbug

• Old
  • Jedi Guardian
  • mmm. pemmican.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2005, 09:33 PM »
Is that the same Marker that makes the bindings?  They should have some brand loyalty inherent in that though.  Interesting comparison with North Face though, given that they didn't really achieve overwhelming sales (IMO) until they created some products with lower price points/other products price points rose.  

I always wanted North Face stuff - super functional, cool designs, great colours - but too bloody expensive.  I picked up a Gore-Tex shell with a Gore Windstopper fleece for under $100 on ebay, brand new.  Sure, new stuff is expensive, but man, I hardly shop at retail for clothes anymore.  There are other great Gore products out there and I used to buy them from a store called Mountain Equipment Coop (MEC.com) because they were cheaper.  Well, their prices rose and North Face fell or stayed the same.  I like the fit and design of the NF stuff better and I don't have to put up with the pro-organic, holistic, granola crunching staff anymore.  Price point not much different.

With respect to Apple, I'd say they finally figured it out.  I kind of want an Ipod, but can't really get any honest answers with respect to the Dell competition.  I don't hate Dell, my computer runs fine and I know enough to fix it if I have to on my own.  But I hate Oprah and she recommends the Dell.  But I also hate all the Ipod wannabe's.  Not the folx here, but the university aged gotta have one to be cool crowd.  I like the idea of having all my discs on one player, that's neat.  But reading Jeff's comments about it being half full with 200 discs makes me a little concerned.  I haven't counted lately, but I'm easily way over 300 and probably closer to 500, so now space becomes an issue :o  Maybe I'm better off for the time being sticking with my Sony mini-disc and just recording the songs I really want to work out to.  That's the only place that I really use a player.  At home I prefer to hear my wife and kid, at work I use the phone way too much to have buds in place and it's illegal to drive with one on, though it could be used with my car stereo, but I like the variety of radio too.  

As far as figuring it out goes, I still don't think they'll draw that many people away from PC's.  As Chris pointed out, expensive.  I disagree a bit with Chris as to the quality of components - I owned three Macs prior to shifting to PC's and all were stable and quick, even with slower processor speeds than the comparably priced PC's.  But we switched away from being avowed Mac fans because work for both of us was PC based.  Sure you can get software on a Mac to mimic a PC (SoftWindows?) but why bother.  Most people don't come close to tapping the potential of anything other than their hard drive, so what would the necessity be.  I also don't buy into the "our product is better because it's sexier/trendier/hotter" bull****.  I know/knew Mac's were good computers, I sure as hell don't need some jackass from U2 flaunting it in my face.  You play great music, you cannot save the world and some of your actions are horribly misguided - you cannot relate to the poor.  The sentiment is noble, yes.  Sorry, pet peeve about musicians/actors trying to be something more than entertainers ;)

If both workplaces go to Mac's, great, we'll switch back and be happy.  I just don't see my employer doing that on the basis of a handheld music player. :-\
Minivans: a sign of the apocalypse.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
  • Hear me, baby, hold together...
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2005, 06:41 PM »
I personally don't look at Apple's being content with just 10% of the PC marketshare as anything to hang their hats on. I have been very critical of Apple (rightly so, in my mind) even though I have a G5. I'm not happy with the direction of the company in the last few years, but lately, things seem different (they seemed different in the past, though, so I'm not so optimistic yet).

I think their support philosophy is lackluster. They are very expensive. They are way too expensive to service and really difficult to get serviced unless you live in a large city. I live in Dallas, and there are very few Mac service providers here. Other than CompUSA, the rest are guys who work out of their houses. Also, the 9.3.3 OS upgrade in 2001 was a piece of crap that torched several G3 series laptops (one of which was mine) due to a glitch in the program. Apple didn't feel like they owed compensation to anyone for that, and I've been turned off by them ever since. Their "use at your own risk" method of OS upgrades is heartwarming...

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2005, 07:12 PM »
I personally don't look at Apple's being content with just 10% of the PC marketshare as anything to hang their hats on. I have been very critical of Apple (rightly so, in my mind) even though I have a G5. I'm not happy with the direction of the company in the last few years, but lately, things seem different (they seemed different in the past, though, so I'm not so optimistic yet).

I think their support philosophy is lackluster. They are very expensive. They are way too expensive to service and really difficult to get serviced unless you live in a large city. I live in Dallas, and there are very few Mac service providers here. Other than CompUSA, the rest are guys who work out of their houses. Also, the 9.3.3 OS upgrade in 2001 was a piece of crap that torched several G3 series laptops (one of which was mine) due to a glitch in the program. Apple didn't feel like they owed compensation to anyone for that, and I've been turned off by them ever since. Their "use at your own risk" method of OS upgrades is heartwarming...

Kind of what we're discussing, but not at all. Again, this thread is about strategic marketing and selling to the masses. Future tense, not past ills. At least is was at one time.

Sorry you had trouble with 9.3 - I went from 9.2.2 to OSX. I haven't had any disasterous experiences with any of the 7 machines I've bought since 1999 - and I bought the revA TiBook and the revA G5 Dual 2.0... When I've need support, it's been fast and generous. Obviously results vary, but I work these machines on heavy 3D work all week, and I still use them all as a render farm.

Here's two places in your major metropolis that aren't CompSCREW-SA or out of a garage. I can tell you you'll get excellent service there:

Apple Store, Highland Park

Apple Store, Plano
« Last Edit: January 21, 2005, 08:36 PM by Deanpaul »

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2005, 01:28 AM »
Ideally, I should have read all the posts before I replied. Ideally. But, a hot button is a hot button. And when a hot button gets pushed, well, fingers get to typing, and next thing you know, you sound like Granpa Simpson.

Those Apple Stores are relatively new (within the last year). There is also one on Knox Street, closer to where I live.

Offline Deanpaul

• Jedi Apprentice
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2005, 09:28 AM »
Ideally, I should have read all the posts before I replied. Ideally. But, a hot button is a hot button. And when a hot button gets pushed, well, fingers get to typing, and next thing you know, you sound like Granpa Simpson.

Those Apple Stores are relatively new (within the last year). There is also one on Knox Street, closer to where I live.

No worries. I can understand where you're coming from.

I think the Highland Park store is on Knox Street, maybe it's the same one?

I fly into DFW a lot for work, but I have not made it into either store yet. A client has asked me to come in mid-February to attend a trade show downtown and be at their office in Coppel (sp?)... Anyway, once the ticket is booked we should look for a Hooters so we can get the Dallas JD'ers together.

I'll pm Colman and ask him where one is at in the larger Dallas metro.

Offline SPIDERLEGS

• Jedi Initiate
    • View Profile
    • SPIDERLEGSdotNET
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2005, 05:19 PM »
That would be cool. I'd be up for that.